Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

I present you the VGML (VEGAN) catering in FIRST.

I present you the VGML (VEGAN) catering in FIRST.

Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
Not a vegan.
Gummi bears, then caviar, prawns...
maybe he’s changed recently, defrost remember one report he did where he had a vegan meal
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: Air Krapistan Poop Points "Scooper Level"
I wish it wasn't the case, but unfortunately it is. How do you feel when they run out of your meal choice? It's sort of the same thing. I wish that DMV didn't suck, but I have accepted the fact that I will waste time and be frustrated. I would love to have Wolfgang Puck whipping me up some fresh delights on board, but even my $20k ticket isn't going to get me that. I have accepted the meritocracy that is first class flying. Some lounges have great food. I wish they could follow up in the sky but I understand the limitations of reheating over salted and seasoned food.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm surprised that the cabin crew didn't try to be more creative and scrounge something suitable for the OP (or partner) to eat. There must have been some fruit onboard that could have been artfully arranged on FC dinnerware, even if the crew weren't aware of the exact definition of vegan and had to ask what what was permissible. In this situation, I would have expected the purser (or equivalent title) to raid the crew meals for something to offer as well as looking at unselected business class meal choices. Just being apologetic and embarrassed isn't enough and someone needs to solve the problem.

Someone mentioned a TATL flight from SAN: I would expect that station to have good veggie and vegan options as it's a comon lifestyle choice in California, although this of course depends on what BA negotiates for their catering contract.
endoman, ttama and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:22 pm

British Airways appears to have contempt for vegetarians and vegans in F. That opening post meal is tragically predictable. BA offer a lacto-ovo selection in advance. I no longer bother to select it as no effort beyond standard J is made. The OP got a worse offering than CE delivers. Instead I check the menu in advance and work out what I can have from that. At least that gives better choice than the business/economy offering impersonating F. BA should deal with this in their revamp of the soft product. There are vegan champagne and wine choices but real effort is needed on the food. BA features the food and beverage option as a part of their quality dining offering. In essence, vegan and vegetarian passengers get J standard food - or worse.
ttama and Dicksbits like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be

It was in fact my partner who received this meal.
I am not vegan myself.

I felt sorry for him. He was very excited about flying in First and BA let him down.

One of the comic moment was that when I joined to buddy dine with him and sat down, he received his meal, and in that moment I found a dirty old sock on the seat probably from the previous flight.
I handed it to the crew as they were serving the meal.

I couldn’t help but bursted out laughing.
How did they handle the dirty sock while serving ?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
You made me think - I assume that Risotto would be acceptable? Funghi Porcini? I ask for a reason.
Risotto is easy to adapt for a vegetarian, PG. It would mean using a vegetarian Italian hard cheese rather than parmesan. Mushroom risotto is delicious when made with vegetable stock. My husband likes this and it's not too far from authentic.

Vegan 'risotto' is also possible to make tasty. Perhaps using yeast flakes and obviously removing butter.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.

Last edited by AnaTravel; Jan 29, 2019 at 2:51 pm Reason: For the avoidance of doubt, added vegetarian to Italian hard cheese.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by JustTheOne
...for most vegetarians, without parmesan as it contains rennet. Some veggies aren't too strict about this though...
And are therefore not vegetarian.

I have a cousin who didn't realise, and when told said "never mind, I really like it".

The same cousin who, being "gluten intolerant" is only so when they know there is gluten in their meal. After eating bread they thought was gluten free in a hotel, over a number of days, not a single problem from it...
1Aturnleft and Greenpen like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by AnaTravel
Risotto is easy to adapt for a vegetarian, PG. It would mean using an Italian hard cheese rather than parmesan. Mushroom risotto is delicious when made with vegetable stock. My husband likes this and it's not too far from authentic.

Vegan 'risotto' is also possible to make tasty. Perhaps using yeast flakes and obviously removing butter.
A die hard vegan would shun any dairy product.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS
A die hard vegan would shun any dairy product.
The vegan 'risotto' I suggested has no dairy elements. The vegetarian one does. The Italian hard cheese that would be used in this context is vegetarian. British Airways use this vegetarian suitable Italian hard cheese on the CCR menu sometimes now.

Last edited by AnaTravel; Jan 29, 2019 at 2:53 pm Reason: For clarity
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by AnaTravel
The vegan 'risotto' I suggested has no dairy elements. The vegetarian one does.
Got it !Thanks.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be
Photos taken off another website. VEGAN BA FIRST dishes from the past.

(Photos credit: https://guyrobottv.wordpress.com/201...tic-and-delta/ )

I saw a comment or two saying that vegan dishes can’t be anythinf else then just boiled veggies and rice, so there.
Holy Smoke. I'm a real rubbish cook (and vegan) and even I wouldn't feel right in dishing up that rubbish to anybody, let alone paying customers. Is airplane catering where vegan chefs go to die? I'd rather have a can of vegetable chilli and boil in the bag rice than that rubbish.

If I was flying first, which I never do as I save my money for the destination, I'd truly expect something more like this:

Last edited by OccasionalFlyerPerson; Jan 29, 2019 at 3:40 pm Reason: Added something
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Although people with special diets have my sympathy I've found there's never any guarantee the normal meal will please those who have no special requirements.. I've had a few disasters along the years even in BA and TG F.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by ttama
I was unwell on a qatar business class flight once, and the crew were more than happy to create a combination of food based on what I said I could face eating. Mainly crisp-based, I have to say, but the crew served them in a nice big bowl and kept me topped up for the whole flight, and kept checking whether I was ready to try something else, So, while crisps are not exactly business class food (neither are cornflakes, which is almost all I ate on another flight), it was what i wanted at the time and I was left feeling that I'd received excellent personal service.
I had the exact same on my last Qatar Business flight, I was deathly unwell but the crew took lots of time working with me on what I could eat, it ended up being a mishmash but it was still to their high standards. They even checked in Economy to see if there were better options there. I hope if it ever happens again that a BA crew would be as understanding, I guess it would have to do with load more than anything (the Qatar flight was less than have full 787, overnight flight).
ttama likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, BA GGL/CCR,/GFL, A3 Gold, JBU Mosaic, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Although people with special diets have my sympathy I've found there's never any guarantee the normal meal will please those who have no special requirements.. I've had a few disasters along the years even in BA and TG F.
People with special diets deserve sympathy and help especially when health reasons are the motivations behind. However, one has to admit that there is no specific health indication for a vegan diet, as it is an issue of personal choice, and even most OP here here seem to disagree as to what could/would be considered acceptable for a vegan in terms of ingredients and combinations. While the presentation of the meal is indeed ghastly, as the airline already has -excellent often times- a la carte vegetarian offers, it is a bit unfair to blame BA for adapting so badly to the traveller’s personal preference. I am not sure other airlines do consistently better with the vegan offer. And let’s face it, an avios service recovery for not meeting specific personal expectations (after all, vegan food was offered, even most restaurants wont know how to prepare a sumpupus vegan meal) is quite a good will gesture. A nice fulfilling elegant vegan meal is not is the contract of carriage.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by IkarosBOS

People with special diets deserve sympathy and help especially when health reasons are the motivations behind. However, one has to admit that there is no specific health indication for a vegan diet, as it is an issue of personal choice, and even most OP here here seem to disagree as to what could/would be considered acceptable for a vegan in terms of ingredients and combinations. While the presentation of the meal is indeed ghastly, as the airline already has -excellent often times- a la carte vegetarian offers, it is a bit unfair to blame BA for adapting so badly to the traveller’s personal preference. I am not sure other airlines do consistently better with the vegan offer. And let’s face it, an avios service recovery for not meeting specific personal expectations (after all, vegan food was offered, even most restaurants wont know how to prepare a sumpupus vegan meal) is quite a good will gesture. A nice fulfilling elegant vegan meal is not is the contract of carriage.
Strange one reads more about non veggie meals more often .......so should they be alright with a boiled egg, a beef jerky etc as a meal? After all nothing is the contract that says what MUST be served ! What is good for the goose is good for the gander too ....
let_BAegones_be likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.