I present you the VGML (VEGAN) catering in FIRST.

Old Jan 29, 19, 12:00 pm
  #61  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata Plus
Posts: 745
While the crew may have been apologetic and embarrassed, I don't understand why they couldn't have put a bit of thought into making it more appetising. Surely they could have found, or even created, some sort of dressing for the starter? Aren't the little bottles of salad dressing, served in other classes, vegan? Wasn't there some olive oil somewhere? They could have crunched up a packet of crisps and sprinkled it over, for heavens sake, to add some taste and texture. Or maybe added some nuts? So yes, clearly there's something wrong at management level, but the crew must have been total morons not to have been able to communicate with their first class passenger and come up with something more satisfying. I know many vegans who'd be very happy to eat a crisp butty with a side of ketchup. It might not be "first class" food, but it would be better than what that poor passenger was given.

I was unwell on a qatar business class flight once, and the crew were more than happy to create a combination of food based on what I said I could face eating. Mainly crisp-based, I have to say, but the crew served them in a nice big bowl and kept me topped up for the whole flight, and kept checking whether I was ready to try something else, So, while crisps are not exactly business class food (neither are cornflakes, which is almost all I ate on another flight), it was what i wanted at the time and I was left feeling that I'd received excellent personal service.
ttama is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 12:12 pm
  #62  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 189
Originally Posted by ttama View Post
While the crew may have been apologetic and embarrassed, I don't understand why they couldn't have put a bit of thought into making it more appetising. Surely they could have found, or even created, some sort of dressing for the starter? Aren't the little bottles of salad dressing, served in other classes, vegan? Wasn't there some olive oil somewhere? They could have crunched up a packet of crisps and sprinkled it over, for heavens sake, to add some taste and texture. Or maybe added some nuts? So yes, clearly there's something wrong at management level, but the crew must have been total morons not to have been able to communicate with their first class passenger and come up with something more satisfying. I know many vegans who'd be very happy to eat a crisp butty with a side of ketchup. It might not be "first class" food, but it would be better than what that poor passenger was given.

I was unwell on a qatar business class flight once, and the crew were more than happy to create a combination of food based on what I said I could face eating. Mainly crisp-based, I have to say, but the crew served them in a nice big bowl and kept me topped up for the whole flight, and kept checking whether I was ready to try something else, So, while crisps are not exactly business class food (neither are cornflakes, which is almost all I ate on another flight), it was what i wanted at the time and I was left feeling that I'd received excellent personal service.
Without goint into details why and whose fault it was, on the outbound flight an VLML was loaded instead of VGML.
FIRST was less than half full and the crew went out of their way so my partner can have an enjoyable vegan dinner.

On the way back, FIRST was full and whilst I agree with you that they couldíve made more of an effort, 2 flight attendants for 16 people in FIRST is actually not enough to do that.
Sealink likes this.
let_BAegones_be is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 12:15 pm
  #63  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata Plus
Posts: 745
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be View Post


Without goint into details why and whose fault it was, on the outbound flight an VLML was loaded instead of VGML.
FIRST was less than half full and the crew went out of their way so my partner can have an enjoyable vegan dinner.

On the way back, FIRST was full and whilst I agree with you that they couldíve made more of an effort, 2 flight attendants for 16 people in FIRST is actually not enough to do that.
They could certainly have found some dressing for the starter. That really wouldn't have taken much thought or effort. I'd expect that in economy, flying with a decent airline.
HMPS likes this.
ttama is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 12:15 pm
  #64  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bombay
Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Posts: 294
I donít know what is worst - a BA steak or the vegan option...
HMPS, ttama and AnaTravel like this.
RoyalSwazi is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 12:17 pm
  #65  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata Plus
Posts: 745
Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi View Post
I donít know what is worst - a BA steak or the vegan option...
At least if you ordered a steak they'd probably give you some dressing to go with your starter salad.
RoyalSwazi likes this.
ttama is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 12:24 pm
  #66  
Fairmont Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: UK
Programs: BA (Silver) Asiana (Silver) Hllton (Gold)
Posts: 487
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj View Post
Edit - Actually just remembered this fella is a vegan isnít he and seems to get by pretty well
Not a vegan.
Gummi bears, then caviar, prawns...
DeathSlam is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 12:32 pm
  #67  
Fairmont Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: UK
Programs: BA (Silver) Asiana (Silver) Hllton (Gold)
Posts: 487
Pretty sure they only do one version of all the special meals so if you order one you'll get economy food in First (especially coming back).

What happened to the fruit plate option?
Is it still there but hidden?

That used to be available in economy but I haven't seen it in years.
No Jain meals either.
DeathSlam is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 12:36 pm
  #68  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,323
Number 1 rule when flying F on BA is to secure the club banana early in the flight (or if leaving LHR get your own from the F Lounge before leaving).
wrp96, ttama and AnaTravel like this.
Barnaby100 is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 12:41 pm
  #69  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: East Anglia, England
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 1,984
Sad, very sad.

H
Hoch is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 12:49 pm
  #70  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ARN
Programs: Bit of this, bit of that
Posts: 433
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be View Post


It was in fact my partner who received this meal.
I am not vegan myself.

I felt sorry for him. He was very excited about flying in First and BA let him down.

One of the comic moment was that when I joined to buddy dine with him and sat down, he received his meal, and in that moment I found a dirty old sock on the seat probably from the previous flight.
I handed it to the crew as they were serving the meal.

I couldnít help but bursted out laughing.
I think I would prefer this to the toenail clippings I found in CW NRT-LHR about 12 months ago. The crew member that I informed about it didn't seem to care much, but shortly later I spoke with the cabin manager and she was infinitely more concerned. I was very well looked after from that point (apparently light load, and almost empty in F, which probably helped)

Flying BOM-LHR in CW a few years ago with my partner we had a rather off putting experience with catering. Despite telling the crew on our section and cabin manager about the severe nut allergy, my partner was served a main course that literally had nuts on top. We both fully understand that they cannot guarantee a nut free meal or environment (insert applicable legal blurb as common on all carriers) but to then actually have that served was rather concerning.

I am flying BA F HKG-LHR in March, although I wont be ordering a special meal, hopefully the catering is at a better level.
flylonghaul is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 12:52 pm
  #71  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 93
I find the special meals on British Airways so hit and miss and as a veggie I have no expectations be it Club or First.

Do not even get me started on American and the attitude from the stewardesses I had when I refused to eat meat on the flight across to JFK in Business. All meals contained meat mixed into the meals so I ended up eating snacks and a small side salad.

Recently I was served fish for my VLML (Veggie) order which was nicely labelled as such. I just burst out laughing and had a good laugh with the stewardess.

For me life is too short to get wound up with these things.
LUFTY is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 12:56 pm
  #72  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bombay
Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Posts: 294
@Lufty: considering the amount of people confusing vegetarian and non-meat eater/pescatarian this does not not surprise me. The confusion always coming from the pescatarians..
kimberlyrose likes this.
RoyalSwazi is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 12:56 pm
  #73  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Programs: Air Krapistan Poop Points "Scooper Level"
Posts: 211
First rule about vegan flight club is bring your own food. I have been traveling while vegan for years and the best solution is simply to bring your own. Never disappointing this way. Is it a pain in the ...? Yes. I have an insulated bag packed with ice in a ziplock that has to be dumped at security and then refilled at the club. I also enjoy the looks of the first class staff when they come for my order on a 14 hour flight and I say "No thanks, I have my own". I am surprised that more people don't bring there own to avoid issues. How many people can remember an airplane meal that was better than a Friday's or even an Applebees? I am sure there are some exceptions (yes that means you SFO777. lol) but who wouldn't rather have a California Pizza Kitchen meal than plane food?

As for airlines that get it right, Thai's Asian vegan meal in first was very good. Salad to start followed by cold soba noodles in soy sauce and a main of jasmine rice and veggies in a spicy sauce. Dessert was a fruit platter. Worst vegan meal is a tie between Singapore in first where the second meal was some sort of unidentifiable patty in a sandwich, and Copa Business which served a warm cucumber burrito thing. Never heard of warm cucumbers before or after.

Bottom line is if you want a good meal on a plane bring it yourself.
nydave11 is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 1:01 pm
  #74  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: UK
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 342
Mrs endo orders VGML as she has an allergy to soft cheeses which are often in veggie meals ( Goats cheese especially) She also doesn't eat butter, so VGML is the easiest option. On several trips in CW she has been fine, food has been ok, nothing to write home about,

We have our First First later this year coming back from SAN, We won't expect much, and she will be happy with some LPGS to encourage sleep. We will likely have eaten downtown and in the lounge prior to the flight anyway. Looking at the First menus on here some of the veggie options on there look pretty decent, if there's some left and the VGML looks as poor as the one above, then we will ask if we can swap.

We find UK restaurants are pretty good now, most can make substitutions from their veggie menu re the cheese.
endoman is online now  
Old Jan 29, 19, 1:10 pm
  #75  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 189
Originally Posted by nydave11 View Post
First rule about vegan flight club is bring your own food. I have been traveling while vegan for years and the best solution is simply to bring your own. Never disappointing this way. Is it a pain in the ...? Yes. I have an insulated bag packed with ice in a ziplock that has to be dumped at security and then refilled at the club. I also enjoy the looks of the first class staff when they come for my order on a 14 hour flight and I say "No thanks, I have my own". I am surprised that more people don't bring there own to avoid issues. How many people can remember an airplane meal that was better than a Friday's or even an Applebees? I am sure there are some exceptions (yes that means you SFO777. lol) but who wouldn't rather have a California Pizza Kitchen meal than plane food?

As for airlines that get it right, Thai's Asian vegan meal in first was very good. Salad to start followed by cold soba noodles in soy sauce and a main of jasmine rice and veggies in a spicy sauce. Dessert was a fruit platter. Worst vegan meal is a tie between Singapore in first where the second meal was some sort of unidentifiable patty in a sandwich, and Copa Business which served a warm cucumber burrito thing. Never heard of warm cucumbers before or after.

Bottom line is if you want a good meal on a plane bring it yourself.
I respectfully disagree.
With a return F flight ticket costing thousands of pounds, you should not have to bring ice and ziplock, instead you should be able to look forward to a good vegan meal. (When preordered)
If we all bring our zip lock bags and food, things will never change.
let_BAegones_be is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread