I present you the VGML (VEGAN) catering in FIRST.

Old Jan 29, 19, 4:54 am
  #31  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: HKG
Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,959
HKG catering. oh joy. such a shame for me based in HKG... For this very reason i try to fly JL26 a lot.

anyways, 12000 avios seems a bit too few. 12000 per meal, perhaps.
kaka is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 5:03 am
  #32  
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Alicante. Spain
Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Posts: 15,078
Originally Posted by Temedar View Post
Quinoa? Beans? Buckwheat?
What just plain like that? doesn't sound in the least bit appetising
PUCCI GALORE is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 5:32 am
  #33  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Moscow
Programs: Marriott Plat, IHG Plat Amb
Posts: 1,103
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
What just plain like that? doesn't sound in the least bit appetising
Obviously not. I've had a great quinoa-chestnut-somethingelse salad on Joon for 7 euros, surely BA F catering can learn from the French. If that's too hard any cookbook with Indian or Middle Eastern recipes has vegetarian dishes based on beans, lentils, chickpeas, etc.
florens likes this.
Temedar is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 6:40 am
  #34  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 202
Photos taken off another website. VEGAN BA FIRST dishes from the past.

(Photos credit: https://guyrobottv.wordpress.com/201...tic-and-delta/ )

I saw a comment or two saying that vegan dishes canít be anythinf else then just boiled veggies and rice, so there.


let_BAegones_be is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 7:37 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Buckinghamshire
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 1,928
In this day and age - and whatever you may think of a vegan diet (I am vegetarian) - this is pathetic in First Class. Particularly for one of Britain's superbands in its premier cabin. It ought to be Haute Cuisine, restaurant style dining quality. I would send your photos to BA CEO. It's one thing for BA to proudly highlight VEGETARIAN and VEGAN on its Club World menu (for instance), but then not to deliver something better than what you've shown us in First is appalling. I'd go further than SACK THE CHEF, s/he needs to go back to catering school.

p.s. No Soy milk onboard an intercontinental flight is a joke in 2019.
endoman, Sealink, florens and 7 others like this.
Dicksbits is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 7:39 am
  #36  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Buckinghamshire
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 1,928
Originally Posted by Temedar View Post
Quinoa? Beans? Buckwheat?
A simple google search would highlight some easy recipes. BA need to make vast improvements in First, fast.
AnaTravel likes this.
Dicksbits is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 7:53 am
  #37  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 24
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
So what might they have offered? What are they serving so well in CE? I'm probably alone in thinking if you ask for Vegan and get Vegan, all that is left is the quantity.

Don't get me wrong, I think that it looks ghastly. Another question - are you allowed to drink gin or wine as by definition they cannot have anything but fruit or aromatics?
I'm not vegan, but I usually request a steak that tastes like tofu.
dddc, Crampedin13A, Edina and 2 others like this.
bberris is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 7:57 am
  #38  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata Plus
Posts: 758
If I'm ever tempted to fly First rather than CW, I shall return to this thread to save myself a shedload of money.

The OP must have been so disappointed. I know that flying BA these days often results in a feeling of mild depression but this would really have pissed me off.
AnaTravel likes this.
ttama is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 7:59 am
  #39  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Posts: 1,443
I travelled in J with my vegan partner from LHR to MIA earlier this month. The offering was basically the same but was presented better and looked bigger. She was happy with what she got but Iíd prepared her for the worst and her expectations before receiving the food were quite low. Dessert for her was a bowl of sixteen blueberries and three raspberries. This was from the main menus rather than being a specifically loaded vegan dessert.

The most disappointing thing was continually being offered non vegan items (mainly items containing dairy) by someone who clearly didnít understand what being vegan means despite being in a job which involves serving food. What if the veganism is partly as a result of severe allergies? This really is quite worrying from a safety perspective but is not an issue which is unique to BA at all.
kimberlyrose and florens like this.
BerksFlyer is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 8:05 am
  #40  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Switzerland
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Posts: 4,115
Originally Posted by BerksFlyer View Post
The most disappointing thing was continually being offered non vegan items (mainly items containing dairy) by someone who clearly didnít understand what being vegan means despite being in a job which involves serving food. What if the veganism is partly as a result of severe allergies? This really is quite worrying from a safety perspective but is not an issue which is unique to BA at all.
This. I have made this observation too. In CE, the crew would often say "oh, sir, you have preordered a vegetarian meal". I am like no, a vegan one. In most of the cases I am not sure that the crew knows the difference as they later offer milk with coffee or tea etc.
florens is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 8:07 am
  #41  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: London
Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, VS Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,787
I'd be annoyed at that
Sealink is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 8:08 am
  #42  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: London
Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, VS Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,787
Originally Posted by BerksFlyer View Post
I travelled in J with my vegan partner from LHR to MIA earlier this month. The offering was basically the same but was presented better and looked bigger. She was happy with what she got but Iíd prepared her for the worst and her expectations before receiving the food were quite low. Dessert for her was a bowl of sixteen blueberries and three raspberries. This was from the main menus rather than being a specifically loaded vegan dessert.

The most disappointing thing was continually being offered non vegan items (mainly items containing dairy) by someone who clearly didnít understand what being vegan means despite being in a job which involves serving food. What if the veganism is partly as a result of severe allergies? This really is quite worrying from a safety perspective but is not an issue which is unique to BA at all.
Can you have wafer thin sliced ham?
Sealink is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 8:08 am
  #43  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 202
Originally Posted by ttama View Post
If I'm ever tempted to fly First rather than CW, I shall return to this thread to save myself a shedload of money.

The OP must have been so disappointed. I know that flying BA these days often results in a feeling of mild depression but this would really have pissed me off.
It was in fact my partner who received this meal.
I am not vegan myself.

I felt sorry for him. He was very excited about flying in First and BA let him down.

One of the comic moment was that when I joined to buddy dine with him and sat down, he received his meal, and in that moment I found a dirty old sock on the seat probably from the previous flight.
I handed it to the crew as they were serving the meal.

I couldnít help but bursted out laughing.
wrp96, florens, ttama and 1 others like this.

Last edited by let_BAegones_be; Jan 29, 19 at 8:15 am
let_BAegones_be is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 8:17 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: UK. BAEC AAdvantage
Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Posts: 3,260
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be View Post
Sorry just to add we flew HKG - LHR.
Wow. For the class and length of flight, that was severely disappointing to see. You might expect that (maybe) on a Band 1 or Domestic CE flight, but not long haul on a premier route.

Not sure what the problem is. I've only flown Qantas (J and Y) and Cathay Y out of HK and the catering has been excellent normally, standard meals obviously. But what served is what the airline sets the catering company to do and if they can't follow through then something is very wrong.
dddc is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 8:25 am
  #45  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Posts: 15,207
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be View Post


It was in fact my partner who received this meal.
I am not vegan myself.

I felt sorry for him. He was very excited about flying in First and BA let him down.

One of the comic moment was that when I joined to buddy dine with him and sat down, he received his meal, and in that moment I found a dirty old sock on the seat probably from the previous flight.
I handed it to the crew as they were serving the meal.

I couldnít help but bursted out laughing.
This all sounds very disappointing, I hope that it didnít spoil your flight too much and the service recovery and action of the crew was acceptable?
Can I help you is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread