I present you the VGML (VEGAN) catering in FIRST.

Old Jan 29, 19, 1:30 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by LCY8737 View Post

I must have missed that. Is it more than an apple these days?
Very funny.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30415737-post448.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30417536-post452.html
Old Jan 29, 19, 2:54 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be View Post
But would you agree that 12K Avios is appropriate?

I wasnít going to bargain with the CSM, but I did feel that the amount offered was too low.
The CSM will have worked to an official service recovery framework regarding what they could offer you on board. And it sounds as though what they offered was probably at the top of that scale. However they can only work within the realms of the framework they are set. For example it is more than likely it would have been a reduced amount had the dessert component been loaded.... which given the previous courses you're probably rather glad it didn't. But it wouldnt identify the problem as being a a pathetic and unfit for purpose menu, it would just identify the missing pud. Which in my mind misses the point and won't resolve the issue to anyone, it just makes you go away. It wouldn't have necesarily taken into account the uninspiring and rather pathetic menu being served as the vegan menu in First which I suspect is more your point than the dessert that got away (and probably for the better!).

Personally I would have declined the on board offering and taken it up with Customer Services after the flight. Their service recovery follows a different framework to to those of the SCCM on board and in my experience they have a lot more flexibility and the ability to make ex-gratia avios gestures. Something crew on board don't.

You can still follow this route with Customer Services and explain that you've already been awarded avios on board but having thought about it you don't feel the points offered on board reflect the disappointment of the uninspiring menu of vegetable followed by vegetable as well as the lack of any dessert and see where that takes you. Saying the points offered feels too low won't exactly start things off well so consider your phrasing before calling. I would also call it through the issue as opposed to emailing it - this is likely to get thrown on the pile and be handled at a much later date with standard script response. The agent you speak to will always give you an email address to send your photos to when you're explaining the situation and look at them straight away. I'm in the nothing ventured nothing gained camp but for the possibility of an additional 5-8k avios, I'm not sure I could even be bothered.
I guess its up to you.
Old Jan 29, 19, 3:50 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
That is why I have stopped ordering special meals, Did it once on AA and once on BA, learned my lesson
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Jan 29, 19, 3:54 am
Suspended

Hmmm. And even when you don't order a special meal, you might end up with a meal only big enough to serve a toddler...

Like this... LHR-JFK Flight in First a few months ago.
Crampedin13A and Dicksbits like this.
Old Jan 29, 19, 4:03 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
So what might they have offered? What are they serving so well in CE? I'm probably alone in thinking if you ask for Vegan and get Vegan, all that is left is the quantity.

Don't get me wrong, I think that it looks ghastly. Another question - are you allowed to drink gin or wine as by definition they cannot have anything but fruit or aromatics?
kaka, nancypants and Pelu like this.
Old Jan 29, 19, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I think that the compensation was correct amount for a poor quality meal in First is 6000 Avios, I think that the CSD doubled this due to breakfast also being of poor standard.
Did the CSD ask you if you were happy to accept the amount of compensation or escalate this to CR?
The CSD would have also written a report which will be sent to the BA person responsible for HKG and this will then be sent to the head of the catering company for action.
I am really sorry that the catering wasnít up to standard and hope that it didnít spoil your flight?
nufnuf77 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 19, 4:12 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
So what might they have offered? What are they serving so well in CE? I'm probably alone in thinking if you ask for Vegan and get Vegan, all that is left is the quantity.

Don't get me wrong, I think that it looks ghastly. Another question - are you allowed to drink gin or wine as by definition they cannot have anything but fruit or aromatics?
There are tons of meals that can be made vegan, many Indian dishes can be made vegan, and other meals too using lentils for example. Many people think you can only serve vegetables which is rubbish. Barilla pasta for example is vegan.

Regarding drinks: Some would only drink vegan drinks and use vegan care products as well as clothing, others might be less strict. Depends on your lifestyle really. It is not black or white as many things in life.

Last edited by florens; Jan 29, 19 at 4:19 am
Old Jan 29, 19, 4:18 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be View Post
Sorry just to add we flew HKG - LHR.
Not an excuse but it would be interesting to see what the LHR equivalent is. And what the Cathay vegan meals are like ex-HKG

I canít imagine HKG doing vegan well, in fact I think the worst normal F meal Iíve had on BA has been ex-HKG (sample of one though). Again itís not somethign that holds Cathay back though
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 29, 19, 4:21 am

Programs: BA GOLD, HH Diamond

So you are saying that if you request a certain type of food all that matters is quantity?
Old Jan 29, 19, 4:21 am

Programs: AA EP 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
If you want to know about tasty vegan food in S-E Asia, consult a local devout Buddhist. So any cook or caterer should be able to produce vegan food using local inspiration.
florens, Dover2Golf and argonath like this.
Old Jan 29, 19, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by florens View Post

There are tons of meals that can be made vegan, many Indian dishes can be made vegan, and other meals too using lentils for example. Many people think you can only serve vegetables which is rubbish. Barilla pasta for example is vegan.
Thank you for this. I did not know about Barilla past although I will not have in the house as they are being boycotted by so many of my good friends. Nevertheless I assume that there are other brands - I am genuinely interested nevertheless the only person that could potentially fall into this category neither flies British Airways nor lives close enough to be invited.
dddc and Pelu like this.
Old Jan 29, 19, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by stevie View Post
So you are saying that if you request a certain type of food all that matters is quantity?
No dear - but someone else did and I wondered if that was part of the problem.
Old Jan 29, 19, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by AUHDXB View Post
Hmmm. And even when you don't order a special meal, you might end up with a meal only big enough to serve a toddler...

Like this... LHR-JFK Flight in First a few months ago.
That picture actually made me LOL. Oh dear.
Crampedin13A and Dicksbits like this.
Old Jan 29, 19, 4:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
Pretty sure the only toddler in my family would make short work of that meal and ask for more.
Dicksbits and Crismyth like this.
Old Jan 29, 19, 4:51 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, IHG Plat Amb
So what might they have offered?
Quinoa? Beans? Buckwheat?

Search this Thread