Farewell TLV Call Centre

Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Farewell TLV Call Centre

I heard rumours but now it's official. As of next week the call centre in Israel will cease to exist and all calls will be transferred elsewhere. It's not quite clear from the announcement (in Hebrew only) whether it only refers to the reservations line or also to the BAEC team.

Not a grand surprise but a pity It is also not quite clear to me what will be the status of IB call centre, which operated jointly.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:57 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Where have BA found a stash of Hebrew speakers outside Israel?

It's one of the hardest call center languages to hire in the rest of the world (in my company's experience).

Good luck to BA on this one...
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I'm sure there'll be some major back patting and performance bonuses in Waterside this morning now BA know they can afford to offer more Ł19 fares to Europe at the expense of it's employees careers and livelihoods.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:04 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Perhaps they are using the Brexit method of just talking slowly and loudly in English with one or two Spanish or French words randomly dropped in, till the understand.

You ....... want ...... el ..... Ticketo........ pour....... le....... air....... Plane?
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by flatlander
Where have BA found a stash of Hebrew speakers outside Israel?
Possibly they have near to the Newcastle and Manchester call centres, both of which have significant Jewish communities and colleges living not so far away.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Possibly they have near to the Newcastle and Manchester call centres, both of which have significant Jewish communities and colleges living not so far away.
According to a new report in the Israeli media the new centre is located indeed in the UK.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad
According to a new report in the Israeli media the new centre is located indeed in the UK.
So BA is following a very recent trend of on-shoring!

In the case of Newcastle there is a longstanding community in Gateshead and there is a prestigious yeshiva for Orthodox Judaism. I guess some students - and spouses of the students - may well be interested in part or fulltime employment with BA just a few miles away, though the language skills will be fairly varied I suspect given its international student body.
squawk, Worcester and BingBongBoy like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
It's not quite clear from the announcement (in Hebrew only) whether it only refers to the reservations line or also to the BAEC team.
The BAEC team are going. They told me months ago, and the atmosphere there (as you can imagine) has been terrible.

It's a sad day, and the fantastic team will really be missed.
Innocent Abroad likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In the case of Newcastle there is a longstanding community in Gateshead and there is a prestigious yeshiva for Orthodox Judaism. I guess some students - and spouses of the students - may well be interested in part or fulltime employment with BA just a few miles away, though the language skills will be fairly varied I suspect given its international student body.
I know this area rather well. As @corporate-wage-slave says, it is a highly prestigious centre of Haredim learning - I believe it is the most significant outside Israel and the United States - and there is a growing settled community with a fascinating history, alongside a diverse international student body. It is a depressing sign of the times that the community has in recent years had to become much more aware of their own security.

One thing that I am not certain of, however, is whether the graduates of the colleges there (even those who are not international students and who wish to remain local) would aspire to a customer service role with BA. The community is fairly insular, and my (limited) understanding of the Yeshiva curriculum is that it is mainly orientated around the Talmud and related studies.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:34 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
I'm just amazed to learn that BA has retained a country-specific call centre for so long! Especially one with just 2 flights a day. It must have stayed under the bean counter radar somehow!
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gms
I'm just amazed to learn that BA has retained a country-specific call centre for so long! Especially one with just 2 flights a day. It must have stayed under the bean counter radar somehow!
In summer schedule there are 3 flights a day (sometimes 3 LH aircrafts) plus it also handled IB's operations so not really surprising; on top of that Hebrew is not such a wide-spread language. That said, nowhere did it say that the new call-centre will provide service in Hebrew...
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
As one who flies this route with regularity, I've always been struck by the fact that BA only have an interest in offering on-board announcements and airport staff who speak only one of the two official languages of Israel. Given that Israeli Arabs loath flying on El Al, I've never understood why BA does not make them more appropriately welcome.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DominicB
As one who flies this route with regularity, I've always been struck by the fact that BA only have an interest in offering on-board announcements and airport staff who speak only one of the two official languages of Israel. Given that Israeli Arabs loath flying on El Al, I've never understood why BA does not make them more appropriately welcome.
BTW, Arabic is no longer an official language in Israel.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by squawk
I know this area rather well. As @corporate-wage-slave says, it is a highly prestigious centre of Haredim learning - I believe it is the most significant outside Israel and the United States - and there is a growing settled community with a fascinating history, alongside a diverse international student body. It is a depressing sign of the times that the community has in recent years had to become much more aware of their own security.

One thing that I am not certain of, however, is whether the graduates of the colleges there (even those who are not international students and who wish to remain local) would aspire to a customer service role with BA. The community is fairly insular, and my (limited) understanding of the Yeshiva curriculum is that it is mainly orientated around the Talmud and related studies.
The yeshiva curriculum certainly does not involve learning a spoken Hebrew,, plus there is a push towards Rabbinic professions. However, as c-w-s mentions, the spouses of these students might be interested. That being said, I haven't seen any ads for such positions.
In summer schedule there are 3 flights a day (sometimes 3 LH aircrafts) plus it also handled IB's operations so not really surprising; on top of that Hebrew is not such a wide-spread language. That said, nowhere did it say that the new call-centre will provide service in Hebrew...
Approximately how many staff would such a call center handle?
Originally Posted by DominicB
IME Israeli Arabs tend to fly TK. Ultimately though, BA must have decided that there aren't enough passengers to TLV who don't understand English or Hebrew.
squawk likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:27 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Worcester
Perhaps they are using the Brexit method of just talking slowly and loudly in English with one or two Spanish or French words randomly dropped in, till the understand.
You forgot that with each repetition of the same sentence not being understood is to raise the voice until it is.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.