Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

NO SOUP FOR YOU! (CX noodle bar access for BA pax at SFO)

Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

I got to SFO earlier than planned for the BA286, so ventured to the SFO CX lounge (avoiding the CI, JL lounges in the current reshuffle etc). I noticed the noodle bar - which I've enjoyed in various CX lounges before - was open, so I ordered the wanton soup from the soup chef.

CHEF: "Can I see you boarding pass please."

ME: "Er..." [hands over boarding pass]

CHEF: "HA! British Airways! NO SOUP FOR YOU!"

I really, genuinely thought this was a Seinfeld joke, so I started laughing (a little too hysterically). I stopped when I noticed he looked genuinely annoyed, pent up, and possibly readying himself to jump over the counter and club me with a killer wanton.

CHEF: "Yeah, you take it up with BA. They were REALLY RUDE."

I sort of gently backed away, and brought up the issue at the reception desk. The receptionists explained, somewhat more calmly, that BA have removed access to the noodle bar in their contract with CX.

Is this new? Have I just been lucky before? Is this a global phenomenon? WHAT'S GOING ON?

Last edited by newyorklondon; Jan 28, 2019 at 8:43 pm
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Ha - I was literally about to make the same post as you. With the same title.

Not only are they withholding Wontons but they seem to have figured the best way to control costs from their BA contract is to "forget" to put out more champagne (well Domaine Carneros) and hide the glassware.

Seems like they are missing a trick to win over a bunch of BA travellers to the amazing Cathay hospitality!
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tnqray
Not only are they withholding Wontons but they seem to have figured the best way to control costs from their BA contract is to "forget" to put out more champagne (well Domaine Carneros) and hide the glassware.
Ha! Brilliant! They've always been a bit measly with the booze, but - yes - it's clearly a only-one-bottle-out-at-a-time policy.

I just roamed around with the empty fizz bottle vaguely waving it in the face of any employee I could find. Which - uncouth as that was - did actually work.

The War of the Wantons has begun.
SFO777, Sealink, the810 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: BAEC
Is this a worldwide policy? Can we still get soup in LHR?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
You can still get soup at CX CDG lounge.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shefgab
Is this a worldwide policy? Can we still get soup in LHR?
I can only vouch for SFO. CX noodle bars of the world, please report.
woglet86 and Newbtravelle like this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)

Seems like they are missing a trick to win over a bunch of BA travellers to the amazing Cathay hospitality!
the only thing is i think most BA pax dont need winning over to CX..
dajdavies and fluffymitten like this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:09 pm
Suspended

I've had noodles at T3 before AA and BA flights. At JFK, CX J pax were not allowed for pre-flight dining in the BA lounge at T7 as I remember - so maybe it's a bit of tit for tat.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:15 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Is it tit-for-tat, or BA just refusing to pay the amount CX would like them to?
Oaxaca likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:16 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
I've been in there with an AS lounge membership flying on AS, and I have been able to order noodles. But no BP was asked for, so a bit surprised.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:26 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by safari ari
I've been in there with an AS lounge membership flying on AS, and I have been able to order noodles. But no BP was asked for, so a bit surprised.
I suspect all the rules have recently changed as:
  • QF are now using the CX lounge officially for their Gold and Platinum FFs, and business class passengers (not sure about oneworld equivalents).
  • BA are officially directing their Gold members to the CX lounge.
The noodle bar isn't open for most of the period that QF passengers would be in the lounge. So it sounds like a similar arrangement to BA.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
How pathetic...
NickB, NoY, Gerbs and 7 others like this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
So you get access to the lounge but deprived of some of the food in the lounge? That would get me riled up too! I'd rather be turned away at the door quite frankly.
florens likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver
That all seems pretty petty, restricting certain lounge features to those travelling on certain flights or airlines . Not really in the spirit of OneWorld...
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:05 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold

Two possibilities:

1: The aninmated CX Chef may recently have experienced the less than warm welcome for non BA PAX at the ORD Lounge

2: WTO rules have kicked in early ahead of Brexit!
NoY and frandrake like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.