Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA T5 mythical flight connection through N Security

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA T5 mythical flight connection through N Security

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:11 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Saltire74
For the first time in a very long time I used this route rather than going landslide and back through North Security. Main reason being that I have stopped smoking (- @corporate-wage-slave ) and thought I would just do the thing that the terminal (should be) is designed to do.

Low and behold, up the fast track escalator and plonked right into the general security area. Won’t be making that mistake again. Exit through the border and back via North fast track for me from now on (am prepared to be kicked in the backside for making that statement ).
I've not been through for a while, but it used to be really annoying when you got to the top of the escalators to find the staff letting the normal queue into FastTrack because the normal queue was too long.
phred007 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I've not been through for a while, but it used to be really annoying when you got to the top of the escalators to find the staff letting the normal queue into FastTrack because the normal queue was too long.
Actually the last couple of times I've done it (incl. yesterday), it was the other way around. The fast track connection line was so long, they were letting people out and putting them in with the non-fast-track-non-connection folks (where the lines were shorter but I suspect slower as the level of experience with dealing with security is slower). I think they have a few things to learn about security throughput from the folks at ZRH.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by abligh
I think they have a few things to learn about security throughput from the folks at ZRH.
Funny you should mention ZRH. Flew out of there recently for the first time in years and they had one fast track gate and several standard gates. They both let you into the same corridor where you would then choose to join the fast track or regular line as you pleased – no checking was done after those gates. Completely pointless and certainly did not seem very Swiss to me.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Saltire74
For the first time in a very long time I used this route rather than going landslide and back through North Security. Main reason being that I have stopped smoking (- @corporate-wage-slave ) and thought I would just do the thing that the terminal (should be) is designed to do.
Ah that's is good news, @Saltire74, methinks you are getting more robust with this travel malarkey, if only having been put through the wringer a few times too many. Congratulations anyway.
windowontheAside likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by jfallesen
Funny you should mention ZRH. Flew out of there recently for the first time in years and they had one fast track gate and several standard gates. They both let you into the same corridor where you would then choose to join the fast track or regular line as you pleased – no checking was done after those gates. Completely pointless and certainly did not seem very Swiss to me.
There's normally someone taking a quick look at your boarding pass. But doing it on trust and only checking occasionally is actually reasonably Swiss (see e.g. all public transport)
rossmacd and Thomathy like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Silver
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
If you have access to the e-passport gates then this would normally be the faster route.
I would go farther and say that there are times when it would still be faster (and almost certainly more pleasant) to go via the Fast Track border route and through the First Wing. Sadly, that wasn’t an option today due to conformance.

(OTOH, I credit FT for knowing almost all of this [alternate routes, conformance, the fastest route to the First Wing, etc.] in the first place. I appreciate everyone’s willingness to share their knowledge so we can all benefit.)
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: BAEC
Out of interest, do you put your connection in jeopardy if you fully exit to go back through the First Wing? Returning from Beijing to connect to Edinburgh earlier in the year was a nightmare. But is there a difference when failing conformance air side vs land side?

(Side note: out of 19 flights we took over Christmas to 7 different countries, the U.K. was the only one that didn’t do ANYTHING to expedite the process for those with infants.)
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by mrvincent
Out of interest, do you put your connection in jeopardy if you fully exit to go back through the First Wing? Returning from Beijing to connect to Edinburgh earlier in the year was a nightmare. But is there a difference when failing conformance air side vs land side?

(Side note: out of 19 flights we took over Christmas to 7 different countries, the U.K. was the only one that didn’t do ANYTHING to expedite the process for those with infants.)

Hi,

If you are close to the conformance time you could be at risk. The T-35 conformance cut off is a hard time at the first Wing where as it could be a little flexible at flight connections.

I normally have 2 hours for connections and I go landside through the UK border and through first wing ( although in November at 745pm at night I went through ordinary flight connections for a flight to HKG with minimal wait)

Regards

TBS
mrvincent likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:22 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by mrvincent
Good on them! That's my bugbear at MAN. Standing in the queue while anybody travelling with children gets fast-tracked to the front. Not great if you get there just after an Orlando flight has landed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.