Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA100 departing soon (Friday 1 February at 11.30 to be precise)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA100 departing soon (Friday 1 February at 11.30 to be precise)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:33 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Well I quite like the advert
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Underwhelmed! They would have been better off "updating" the "To Fly, To Serve" advert from 2011, that was far more relevant to BA's history....
LondonAndy and KeaneJohn like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
Looks like BA selecting 100 people to be representing their vision of Britain

we will be curating The BA 100
The BA 100 are the 100 makers of Modern Britain
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:35 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Bit like waiting for New Years Eve. Fireworks at midnight. Then off to bed.

I can see it's trying to be "balanced", but it's probably going to go over the heads of a lot of the country. They're trying to say they don't shout (perhaps, like Virgin Atlantic) but I fear this will wash over a lot of people.

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Talk about disappearing up their own .....

Being thanked for being British for making them what they are. Empty words and self-congratulatory bollocks. Would rather they spent the money on cleaning the aircraft than lining the pockets of the already successful. Or how about a genuine token of thanks like giving Golds and above a complimentary drink in short haul economy as per their Oneworld counterparts? Or give their hand-working staff a 100 quid bonus today or something.
dddc, NoY and BA235 like this.

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by LonBom
Looks like BA selecting 100 people to be representing their vision of Britain
I assume Theresa May isn't among them?
dddc, FlyingScientist and DrGee like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Advert? Lost interest at 0:30

Is that it????
NoY likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:46 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
I recognised a few of the people (Gary Oldman, Olivia Coleman - but that was about it). Can someone enlighten me as to who else famous was in it?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Originally Posted by T8191
Advert? Lost interest at 0:30

Is that it????

That - and a tailored email to say pretty much the same, plus how many miles you've flown with them. Truly exciting stuff.

"There will be wonderful things happening throughout the year. To start, we're making sure you're one of the first to see our fabulous new film. " - Thank you! Thank you so much!
KeaneJohn likes this.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
(*snap!*)
Oh, wow ... BA have emailed me a link to the advert as well. Suitable introductory fluff, of course, including ... "Believe it or not, since you first travelled with us in 2007 you have flown 230,275 miles, which is the same as flying 9.3 times around the world." At least they got that right!

I apologise for the 83,569 miles on AA since 2015

Last edited by T8191; Feb 1, 2019 at 5:17 am Reason: add AA mileage

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I feel very special and honoured to have just received an email from BA thanking me, telling me how far I have flown with them and inviting me to be one of the first to watch their "fabulous new film" (advert!) I prefer how hotel groups value their loyal guests - with genuine bonuses, gifts and discounts and not invites to watch self-congratulatory commercials. What on earth?
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Just received email as well thanking me for being part of BA, with how many miles I have flown with them, wonder what is next
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, I quite liked the advert, it's a tricky line to weave, since I'm one of those who likes their sincere patriotism to be as underpitched as possible. When one sees flags all over the place - any flag really - then I tend to think things are not going well. But if you are going to make a pitch, this is probably what I can live with. I am not sure whether the timing right now is good or bad. given our current national trajectory, it can be argued both ways. But regardless at least there is depth to our national spirit.
rockflyertalk and navylad like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
For the record, here it the Media Centre verbiage.

February 1, 2019: 2019 is the year that sees British Airways mark its Centenary - 100 amazing years of taking the world to Britain and Britain to the world.

Launching the celebrations will be a heart-warming brand campaign featuring a love letter to Britain brought to life by some of Britain’s biggest names.

The campaign includes stars of the screen Gary Oldman, Olivia Colman and Riz Ahmed, sporting stars Anthony Joshua, Ellie Simmonds, Nicola Adams, Chris Robshaw, Harriet Millar-Mills and Anthony Watson, musical icons Paloma Faith and The Kingdom Choir (with a cameo from David Bowie), alongside contemporary artist Grayson Perry, anthropologist Jane Goodall, chef and TV presenter Matilda Ramsay and Helen Sharman, the first Briton in space. All the famous faces were brought together as leaders in their respective fields and who are playing an integral role in shaping the modern Britain of both today and the future.

The campaign can be viewed [above link in post 1]

The TV advert will air for the first time simultaneously at 9.30pm on ITV1 (Grantchester) and on Channel 4 (8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown).

It features customers, cabin crew, pilots and engineers from across the airline as they carry out the final touches for an incredible British Airways flight – BA100. Providing a snapshot of modern-day Britain, the iconic British superstars take their seats alongside people from all walks of life. As they make their journey on board, they each recount the values that they feel make Britain such a special place.

Paloma Faith admires the Brits’ sense of style, while Olivia Colman and Anthony Joshua comment on the nation’s ability to pick themselves up when things get tough. Every pioneering individual shares their message of thanks in their own uniquely British way. Signing off with the message, ‘We love you Britain. You make us who we are’ and the brand message: ‘British Airways. Made By Britain', the ad sets out to deliver the message that it’s the airline’s customers, both past and present, who have made it what it is today.

Carolina Martinoli, British Airways’ Director of Brand and Customer Experience, said: “Celebrating our centenary is a real milestone in aviation and British industrial history.

“This campaign is about thanking the amazing people who fly with us, work with us and partner with us. As it’s our 100th birthday, we plan to make this year very special for all of them – past and present - which is underpinned by our ongoing £6.5bn investment programme to deliver new aircraft, cabins, service and destinations.

“Our airline has been forged over 100 years. As we are inherently made by Britain it’s fitting that our campaign captures and celebrates everything great about our home nation.”

Gary Oldman, said: “I’m honoured to be part of the BA100 and to help British Airways celebrate their 100th birthday. It’s an incredible milestone for the Nation’s flag carrier.

Olivia Colman, commented: “I fly with British Airways a lot, but this is the first time I’ve been on board with so many incredible British people and I got to drink tea all day!”

Anthony Joshua, said: “It’s an honour to be asked to help British Airways celebrate such a huge anniversary. I feel privileged to have been involved in the BA 100 alongside people like Olivia Colman and Gary Oldman.”

Beyond the brand marketing campaign, the airline will be hosting a range of activities and events to mark its Centenary year, including reflecting on it its history by painting aircraft with much loved designs from history, with the first, the BOAC livery to be painted on a current Boeing 747, which will re-join the fleet in mid-February.

Looking forward to the next 100 years, the airline is also hosting BA 21119 - a programme, which will lead the debate on the future of flying and explore the future of sustainable aviation fuels, the aviation careers of the future and the customer experience of the future.

The airline will be working with expert partners to identify BA’s 100 Great Britons; the people up and down the country who are currently shaping modern Britain, and of course, the year would not be complete without some special flying and moments for customers throughout the year.

Ends

Notes to editors:
  • The campaign will first be shared with members of BA’s loyalty programme, The Executive Club at 11.30am on Friday, February 1 and will launch later that afternoon across social media, with TV, broadcaster video-on-demand and cinema roadblock later that evening. This follows a ‘teaser’ phase launched on January 28, running across news websites, social media, national press and digital out-of-home seeding information about the #BA100 flight.
  • Across launch weekend, British Airways will own Twitter First View across a 24-period, and commence a heavyweight presence across TV, broadcaster video-on-demand and cinema, as well as dual screening targeting across social media and search.

A potted history of BA:

On August 25, 1919, British Airways’ forerunner company, Aircraft Transport and Travel Limited (AT&T), launched the world's first daily international scheduled air service between London and Paris.

In 1924, Britain's four main fledgling airlines, which had by then evolved into Instone, Handley Page, Daimler Airways (a successor to AT&T), and British Air Marine Navigation Company Limited, merged to form Imperial Airways Limited.

By 1925, Imperial Airways was providing services to Paris, Brussels, Basle, Cologne and Zurich. Meanwhile, a number of smaller UK air transport companies had started flights and in 1935, they merged to form the original privately-owned British Airways Limited, which became Imperial Airways' principal UK competitor on European routes.

Following a Government review, Imperial Airways and British Airways were nationalised in 1939 to form British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC). Continental European and domestic flights were flown by a new airline, British European Airways (BEA) from 1946. BOAC introduced services to New York in 1946, Japan in 1948, Chicago in 1954 and the west coast of the United States in 1957. BEA developed a domestic network to various points in the United Kingdom, including Belfast, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Manchester.

From 1946 until 1960, BOAC and BEA were the principal British operators of scheduled international passenger and cargo services - and they preserved Britain's pioneering role in the industry. The 1950s saw the world enter the passenger jet era - led by BOAC, with the Comet flying to Johannesburg in 1952, halving the previous flight time.

Additional airlines began to pass into BEA’s ownership and in 1967, the Government recommended a holding board be responsible for BOAC and BEA, with the establishment of a second force airline, resulting in British Caledonian being born in 1970.

Two years later, the businesses of BOAC and BEA were combined under the newly formed British Airways Board, with the separate airlines coming together as British Airways in 1974.

In July 1979, the Government announced its intention to sell shares in British Airways and in February 1987 British Airways was privatised.

In January 2011 the International Consolidated Airlines Group (IAG) was formed when British Airways and Iberia merged. IAG has since also become the parent company of Aer Lingus, and Vueling and in 2017, IAG launched LEVEL a new low-cost airline brand that operates from Barcelona, Paris and Vienna.
HIDDY, yellow_peril and navylad like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:53 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
The QR movie was better!

M
Cheny likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.