Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your success rate on a glass of ET tap water?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your success rate on a glass of ET tap water?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
For me, the simplest solution to orbitmic's issue would be the jug of water on the trolley that he suggested, though I guess this would be viewed as inhibiting possible sales. That aside, I imagine it would be more convenient for both crew and pax, eliminating waits and excessive trips to the galley to get water. My only personal experience of asking for tap water in ET was not during trolley service, but it was brought immediately.

Originally Posted by fransknorge
Steering this back on topic, after the diversion which I am sure the mods will take care of.

In Great Britain, by law, tap water must be provided for free to workers/customers for both working places and licensed premises. Does a BA plane fall under the licensed premises so that they do not have a choice but to provide this ?
BTW, this is not a EU thing as in Germany there are no obligation to provide free tap water (water must be provided by licenses premises but it can be charged).
My understanding is that the obligation to provide free drinking water to customers only applies to licensed premises in GB (all businesses have to provide it for their staff). I don't know whether or not BA aircraft count as licensed premises for this purpose.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Thanks for all (all but one) replies so far. A nice diversity of suggestions so I’ll try to reply broadly.

Refill my own bottle: again that’s what I do, but first it’s not always enough and second, as a connecting passenger exposed to BA’s not infrequent delays, it happens often that I can’t because I’m just literally running to the gate.

With respect, I think that’s also a bit beside the point: ultimately, ba are happy to provide free tap water, the crew are happy to provide free tap water, but simply the process is such that they frequently forget and that is the oddity i point out in this thread. As mentioned in the op, this is not an nth thread about ba changing what they are willing to give, just about a service delivery issue for which I’m calling on good minds for practical suggestions as well as shared experiences (some which match my own experience and some which don’t).

The question of whether I should or should not buy BoB water goes in the same direction and is also a little beside the point in my view. I have no problem with people thinking I’m horrible or whatever, but if someone writes that the water fountain the gym provides is out of order every other day and it would be nice to get it to work, you can tell the person that they should buy water at the bar if you wish, it remains the case that the gym intends to offer a water fountain, has bought a water fountain, provides a water fountain, but that their choice of a dysfunctional water fountain is not helpful to any one, gym, members or otherwise (or are people implicitly suggesting that ba are ‘willingly’ sabotaging the delivery of tap water they propose to boost sales? It’s neither my impression nor my suggestion and would in fact strike me as a slightly paranoid interpretation).

in terms of why not go to the galley ask, well that’s exactly what I do when the crew forget the water, but as I’m a window person that means bothering my neighbours which isn’t ideal. Call button I try to avoid, I know it’s very common to use it in many cultures, but I’m one who tends to think that it is more for emergencies and I thus refrain from using it preferring the earlier suggested walk along the galley (or if practical, asking crew members when they come by to pick up rubbish, they usually do not forget a second time).

so again, I can only reiterate the spirit of my post, ba and crew are willing to provide something but somehow, in practice, it often doesn’t work. My idea was that there would likely be very simple solutions to improve that just as if I always forget to buy something when I go shopping I’ll start making shopping lists or if I always forget my key before leaving the flat, I’ll put it somewhere else where I’m more likely to see/remember it. I’m sure the broader discussions on BoB are interesting but in truth I think they already have their own space and do not need to take over this thread. As for the question of whether orbitmic is right or wrong in his philosophical beliefs or travelling habits, I’d call it outright uninteresting for anyone with a modicum of a life, which I have no doubt encompasses virtually all of my fellow fters!!

Last edited by orbitmic; Jan 28, 2019 at 11:18 am
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:59 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Wow, and I always thought the US carriers were stingy in coach. No water from the tank are served by US Carriers. They either serve individual bottled water or pour from 1.5 liter bottle in COACH! Not sure about the coffee/tea but water is served from a bottle.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
My understanding (?) is that on the NEO aircraft there is no potable water supply available at the rear of the aircraft, due to galley space constraints. If so, I would imagine this could lead to potentially increased delays in satisfying requests for free h2o.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
To answer the Op's question, I have asked 4 times and been served twice, providing a neat 50% success rate. Personally I don't like the BoB proposition for Emeralds especially as other OW airlines serve me better in economy than BA does. However it is what it is and therefore I try to always take my own bottle, refilled in LHR.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:45 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Right. My 2p.

Ultimately the basic error of BoB was that, unlike AA no beverages are offered free. To me, this was a huge mistake as people may not eat but they want something to drink. Flying is dehydrating and you need to drink. Water is most sensible and should be provided. So Obi-Wan my love, I cannot answer your question as I never fly in ET. Ever. However, I think that your point is good and I agree with your stance. Will that do as an answer?
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Will that do as an answer?
Always!!
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:28 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

To answer orbitmic's question, simply put I don't ask for water unless it's one of those rare occasions when I board without my own supply. My water intake isn't satisfied by a cup of water. This applies consistently on short haul irrespective of carrier or indeed on BA short haul pre BOB.

The benefit of BOB is I can purchase a decent sized bottle if ever I need to.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by volar
I’m pretty sure that others (e.g. Iberia) don’t offer free tap water. Last time I asked for water on IB I paid for it - but that’s one of the reasons I avoid IB like the plague.
Iberia (and Iberia Express) do provide a free glass of water on request (best if you go to the galley). Though you are correct in saying they don't provide free tap water - it's served from a bottle.
volar likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I do wonder how some people cope on trains, for hours without access to a drinkable water supply with BOB.

Personally, if I’m flying ET, I’ll Bring on Board or just BOB, certainly not interested in a portable water supply having seen what can grow in those things (accepting that it is usually in trace amounts with regular turn-over that is not a health risk, just not too appetising).

BOB discussions have been done to death on the forum so I won't reopen old wounds, but it certainly doesn’t stop me flying BA.

Last edited by navylad; Jan 28, 2019 at 2:27 pm
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Oh my ... I cannot believe this thread is still going on. The OP has a CCR.

If you want tap water ... you will get it in ET, just need to time it.

I usually head to back or front galley and just ask, no problem.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by navylad
I do wonder how some people cope on trains, for hours without access to a drinkable water supply with BOB.
In my case, trains are a lot easier. I don't tend to take them with changes so usually start from home or work, and I can usually take a large bottle of water with me, which obviously is not possible on flights. That said, I don't dehydrate nearly as fast on trains, coaches, boats, etc as I do on planes.

And you are exactly correct that in my view at least, the point of the thread is precisely not another discussion of the merits of BoB.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by orbitmic
In my case, trains are a lot easier. I don't tend to take them with changes so usually start from home or work, and I can usually take a large bottle of water with me, which obviously is not possible on flights. That said, I don't dehydrate nearly as fast on trains, coaches, boats, etc as I do on planes.

And you are exactly correct that in my view at least, the point of the thread is precisely not another discussion of the merits of BoB.
What's to stop you taking an empty 2L bottle through security and filling it up airside if you don't wish to pay for water in the airport or onboard? I'd trust the water fountains in the airport other the potable water supply onboard.

I do of course accept that you can become mildly dehydrated as a result of the drop in humidity to 20% (from 30-60%) with 50% recirculated air on a flight (heck try a submarine where it is almost entirely recirculated and just purified), but we are only talking a couple of hours, not sure it will worsen any jet-lag. One should avoid drinking caffeine and alcohol before a flight if one is worried about being dehydrated by flying.

Having said that, it is interesting those who just choose their moment when CC can easily supply the water without having to either disturb their BOB service or remember it in minutes several seam to have a greater "success rate".
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Just buy a couple of bottles airside before the flight. £1 each - job done !
HIDDY and navylad like this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by THEOBCMAN
Just buy a couple of bottles airside before the flight. £1 each - job done !
If everyone just did sensible stuff, this forum would become very quiet!
DYKWIA, HIDDY, navylad and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.