Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your success rate on a glass of ET tap water?

Your success rate on a glass of ET tap water?

Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:44 am

On my last flight to Milan, I asked the hostess for water and i thought in my mind of course, i'd have to pay for a bottle, anyways, she was very kind to ask if I preferred a glass or if i wanted to buy a bottle.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by ianfly
A quick google search of “plane tap water” should tell you why you should avoid drinking any water from plane tanks - they’re hardly ever cleaned and full of bacteria
I've always assumed airlines serve tap water when there's a delay and they want to give everyone some water. Also, I'm pretty sure all the tea and coffee I used to have wasn't made with mineral water (and not with boiled water either, just warmed). I reckon if I google "tap water in <insert city>" will also return loads of hits from people saying they wouldn't drink it.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver | Flying Blue Gold | Accor Gold
Got proactively offered a glass of tap water when boarding when I had a nasty cough two weeks ago. Can't image it would be a problem if I had asked for it.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum
Not having done many ET flights since the introduction of BOB, as I now avoid BA on ET routes as much as possible to avoid BOB, but when I have I always ask for the free water just to make a point (And I usually have a can of larger or coke from the lounge with me for consumption on-board). My success rate has been 100% but I normally have to ask several times.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:29 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Tap water? I hope this is not the water from the faucet in the toilets onboard. Or is tap water here the water from the filter system that the crew uses to make coffee/tea? [I thought that for this, they have the direct hot water from the galley].
In any case, I'm also someone that avoid BA ET as much as possible and if I do have to, I bring my own onboard.
Will have to try that the next time - to ask for a non-bottled drrinkable water.

Cheers!
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by ianfly
A quick google search of plane tap water should tell you why you should avoid drinking any water from plane tanks - theyre hardly ever cleaned and full of bacteria.
The internet isn't always right!

The water is tested by the local water company regularly, at each part of its journey (taps on the plane, in the tanks and from the water bowsers). The tanks and pipes are also regularly sterilised.

During service, is the big water bottle the crew are dispensing water from has had its label removed, then it has been refilled with the on-board water.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:41 am

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
If the process is known to fail if asking during the BOB run, why not hit the call button when you can see the service is finished?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:46 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bnfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
Two weeks ago when I flew on BA to Berlin, I asked the stewardess if I could have some water to take some medication with. She returned very quickly from the front with two sealed bottles of mineral water which she handed to me completely free of charge.

I was quite impressed as I was expecting eau-de-tap.

BM
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:53 am

BA are set up to fail here. The OP has extensive experience of such a low success rate, yet continues to repeat this depressing dynamic. The moral high ground is secured, and BA remain in the position of being at fault, and letting him down. My suggestion would be to give up asking the crew whilst serving, and get up and go to the galley if he has finished his personal supply and remains thirsty. Oh, and get over BoB
HIDDY and JFX1764 like this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:00 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I always take a bottle of water with me for the flight regardless whether I am flying in economy (BoB or not) or business. It is much easier than waiting for FAs to either sell you a bottle or give you tap water. Don't have a problem with BoB whatsoever. I do wish there were tap sparkling wine...
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP can always take advantage of unlimited self-serve tap water from the lav.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
The op has identified a systematic failure, and would like to see it addressed. This is a legitimate complaint, and I have faced exactly the same challenges myself, but far fewer incidents than their 50 times.

I admire how the OP has managed to state this not as a criticism of the staff, but of the system. It is not set up for success. Improvements can be made without sacrificing efficiency or increasing costs.

I think both some cleaning up, this could be a nicely written letter to BA management with a gentle and firm request to see it addressed.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:59 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I got the best Christmas present ever. A great water bottle that shows exactly how much I should be drinking (I never drink enough water). Over a month later and I'm still using it (which is more than can be said for most presents I receive). It holds enough for 4 hours of water. I usually fill it 3 times a day.

I'd have no issue taking this through security and then filling it airside. Then use it on the plane rather than drink the rubbish stuff they give out free.

Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:01 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Diamond
Steering this back on topic, after the diversion which I am sure the mods will take care of.

In Great Britain, by law, tap water must be provided for free to workers/customers for both working places and licensed premises. Does a BA plane fall under the licensed premises so that they do not have a choice but to provide this ?
BTW, this is not a EU thing as in Germany there are no obligation to provide free tap water (water must be provided by licenses premises but it can be charged).
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I got the best Christmas present ever. A great water bottle that shows exactly how much I should be drinking (I never drink enough water). Over a month later and I'm still using it (which is more than can be said for most presents I receive). It holds enough for 4 hours of water. I usually fill it 3 times a day.

I'd have no issue taking this through security and then filling it airside. Then use it on the plane rather than drink the rubbish stuff they give out free.

You do far better than me I have to say. ^
Here at the moment it's 31c outside in the shade set to go to 37c with a real feel of 40c...been like that for several days now. I rarely drink water despite having an electric pump in the garden which draws up clean cold water from 20 metres down....not that there's anything wrong with our tap water. The locals keep hydrated by drinking lots of Yerba Mate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.