Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Using Avios to fly AA Miami to Buenos Aires questions.

Using Avios to fly AA Miami to Buenos Aires questions.

Old Jan 27, 19, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Question Using Avios to fly AA Miami to Buenos Aires questions.

We are going to South America in December of this year and hoping to use Avios to book business or first class on American or LATAM. My husband watched flights on the BA website all last year to get an idea of what he could book. Last year we had bronze status. This year we have nothing. He saw lots of these seats online last year.
So we saw some seats on LATAM but the BA website wouldnít let us complete the transaction. I called BA and customer service said those seats didnít exist and it was a software error. She said none existed with AA either. Maybe because every time I reload the browser different flights showed up.
However, that same day last week I found two economy seats from DFW to EZE which I booked thinking something was better than nothing, and maybe we could change these flights.
We really want Miami to Buenos Aires since we live in Florida. My husband who is a major conspiracy believer, thinks first or business isnít showing up on American since we lost Bronze BA status. True or not true?
i have seen First showing up on other One World websites, not on BA.

Any advice? Thanks.
Old Jan 27, 19, 5:20 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
It doesn't have to do anything with a bronze status.
I only see AA economy beginning of Dec but tons of business with latam and Qatar
Old Jan 27, 19, 5:51 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Judy795 View Post
My husband who is a major conspiracy believer, thinks first or business isn’t showing up on American since we lost Bronze BA status. True or not true?
Michael Barkun is a noted expert on conspiracy theories and he said there were three characteristics involved
- trying to making sense in a confusing situation by explaining something that fail rational explanation
- do so by dividing up things between the forces of good and forces of evil
- and that conspiracy theorists have secret knowledge while the rest of us are brainwashed apologists or something.

So maybe your husband is on to something here, and Ńlex Cruz really is stripping out your account at 1 am every night. But the formal position is that when it comes to AA bookings on BAEC, one's status is irrelevant, you will find identical availability as I will find. On the other hand when it comes to BA's IT and its ramshackle connection to AA then it's pretty frustrating for all of us. If something comes up which is more suitable then you can change it, right up to 24 hours before departure, though there is a change fee for doing that. So do keep checking and ringing up if you spot something. If another oneworld website shows availability then you should check it out, but in essence you can focus on AA and MileSAAver awards - these should be available on BAEC. One thing that may help is creating an artificial married segment, for example looking at MCO-MIA-EZE rather than just MIA-EZE.

Without the date of travel it's difficult to give more precise advice, however looking at the AA calendar of MileSAAver availability, there is plenty in early December in Economy from MIA to EZE, none at all in Business/First. E.g. 3 December there is AA economy going from MIA to EZE, both on BA and AA's websites, and I can see LATAM from MIA changing at GIG available in Business, again on both websites.