Search

CW LHR-YVR-LHR expectations

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
CW LHR-YVR-LHR expectations

Hi all,

In early March, I’ll be flying CW for the first time in a few years. Flying LHR-YVR return (BA85/84) in a 747. Reserved seats upstairs.

I was just wondering where to set my expectations. I won’t be expecting a refurbished seat or IFE - but what about food and soft product? Is it just dinner on the flight out of LHR - or is there some sort of afternoon tea also? I’d be grateful to hear from anyone who has flown this sector recently!
Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by tomdelay
Hi all,

In early March, I’ll be flying CW for the first time in a few years. Flying LHR-YVR return (BA85/84) in a 747. Reserved seats upstairs.

I was just wondering where to set my expectations. I won’t be expecting a refurbished seat or IFE - but what about food and soft product? Is it just dinner on the flight out of LHR - or is there some sort of afternoon tea also? I’d be grateful to hear from anyone who has flown this sector recently!
Hi,

You will get the 2nd meal ( and if you have not been in CW for several years it will be the new club world catering and bedding which is a considerable improvement on the old CW product). Somw details here;

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Regards

TBS
Old Jan 27, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: Varies
Hi all,

I like sitting upstairs on the 747. I've also found the CW lounge at YVR to be friendly and comfortable. Boarding can be a bit of a scrum. I last flew it in August 2018. It was my first trip after flying Qatar business class so it wasn't a fabulous experience in comparison, but it was fine for BA.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Upper deck 747 with a good crew can be one of the best flying experiences. Feels like a private jet with the small cabin, wide aisle and good ratio of crew to passengers. Unless you are very unlucky you will have a great trip. Also with 747s all destined to be replaced in the next few years, best savour it while it lasts. Enjoy!
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: BA GfL, TK *G+
I did the lhr-yvr flight last week in 62k. Great crew upstairs. Refurbed 747 with new IFE which was a surprise but very nice, all worked well.
Main meal shortly after take off. The second meal about 1 hour or so before landing. Some tapas style plate I think, I skipped food and just had a cup of tea instead.
They give out landing cards on board, don’t bother filling in as they are not required, you have to complete on machines on arrival, luggage was fairly quick too.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:11 pm

Did the return on December.

Old 747, IFE was unwatchable in 64K.
Food was really good
Once near Greenland on the flight to YVR, open the blind and look up, you may well see the northern lights - I was lucky to.

The overall experience in the old 747 isn't fantastic (still obviously much better than WTP) but seems they have started to use the refurbished ones occasionally
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:33 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
I had the new IFE on YVR-LHR a few days ago. The extra storage bins for the window seats on the upper deck is great. There was a baby in 64A (which is a bassinet seat) who seemed quite fussy—not a big deal for me but it did detract from the serenity of the upper deck.

The CW lounge at YVR, in my opinion, is nothing to write home about (although the service was excellent). The CX lounge, which has relocated to just down the hall from the CW lounge, is infinitely better. Unfortunately, it doesn't open until around 20:00.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Ah thanks so much for all these helpful replies. I'm looking forward to the "tapas" second meal (instead of the rather poor "afternoon tea" that I have been used to on transatlantic flights). Hoping for updated IFE, but not holding my breath! Thanks all
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:06 pm

I'm looking forward to the "tapas" second meal (instead of the rather poor "afternoon tea" that I have been used to on transatlantic flights).
I wouldn't get your hopes up. If it is anything like the plate of salt I had two weeks ago, I'd give it a miss if I were you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.