BA WiFI - Sky Go

Old Jan 27, 19, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club
BA WiFI - Sky Go

I have used the WiFi before but did not test whether it was possible to use Sky Go live from a location perspective? I will be on a flight during a football match that I would like to watch.
Old Jan 27, 19, 9:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
You’re not guaranteed WiFi for the time being so don’t rely on it. Have you checked the main WiFi thread?

On-board WiFi: soft launch is underway
Old Jan 27, 19, 9:53 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
The streaming wifi package should be enough to handle Sky Go. I've watched live events before on it on YouTube.
Old Jan 27, 19, 10:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Fog89 View Post
I have used the WiFi before but did not test whether it was possible to use Sky Go live from a location perspective? I will be on a flight during a football match that I would like to watch.
I think you're asking whether it's possible to access Sky Go from an aircraft that may not appear to Sky servers to be in the UK? I don't know what external IP address the BA WiFi system will allocate you. It's possible that this will appear to be outside the UK which may (?) thwart the use of Sky Go. I'm not sure whether Sky Go enforces geolocation checks. If that is the case, I would recommend a VPN product such as Express VPN where you can set your location to be any country you like (in this case the UK).

Last edited by golfmad; Jan 27, 19 at 10:24 am
Old Jan 27, 19, 10:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Sky go does check geo location based on ip. It can also detect a number of vpns.

I do not know what geo ip ba wifi gives
Old Jan 27, 19, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold
On the rare metal Iím on with the converted WiFi Ďhumpí Iíve managed to connect to various geo-restricted services using NordVPN. While Iíve not used SkyGo Iím pretty sure I have gotten NowTV (certainly both iPlayer, 4OD etc) running - all which are blocked to IP addresses outside the UK. NordVPN is awsome as you can also get US Netflix in the UK which is completely different and much better!
Old Jan 28, 19, 3:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
From this season, both BT and Sky have removed restrictions on watching football matches outside of the UK .... well, certainly in Europe, but I have not tested the rest of the world.
Old Jan 28, 19, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by ReynoldsNumber View Post
From this season, both BT and Sky have removed restrictions on watching football matches outside of the UK .... well, certainly in Europe, but I have not tested the rest of the world.
EU only.
Old Jan 28, 19, 5:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by ReynoldsNumber View Post
Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
EU only.
That makes sense. Otherwise it would have financial consequences for the other license payers around the world (especially in the US).
Old Jan 28, 19, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club
Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
I think you're asking whether it's possible to access Sky Go from an aircraft that may not appear to Sky servers to be in the UK? I don't know what external IP address the BA WiFi system will allocate you. It's possible that this will appear to be outside the UK which may (?) thwart the use of Sky Go. I'm not sure whether Sky Go enforces geolocation checks. If that is the case, I would recommend a VPN product such as Express VPN where you can set your location to be any country you like (in this case the UK).
Exactly what I was referring in terms of which IP it puts you on. I do have a VPN and am sure I have used it for Sky go before so should be ok. Thanks
golfmad likes this.