Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Luxembourg

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2020, 6:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I wonder if the passenger numbers will drop now that the British MEP's and their staff have come home ?
Old Feb 2, 2020, 8:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, VX Gold
I fly this route pretty frequently, as noted above the third daily flight was added this winter and the flights moved from T3 to T5, so that seems to be a sign of growing interest. It’s presumably connected with companies establishing subsidiaries there to facilitate continued EU business, which will grow due to Brexit (here’s one example: https://advanced-television.com/2019...to-luxembourg/)

My take on pricing is that it’s low well in advance due to lack of leisure demand, but high close in, as a business heavy route with plenty of price insensitive travellers. CE also seems to be quite busy. It’s also usually quite high priced for transatlantic connections, often double the price of Paris where there is a lot more competition (and direct flights) from the US.
daftboy likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by britsv
I fly this route pretty frequently, as noted above the third daily flight was added this winter and the flights moved from T3 to T5, so that seems to be a sign of growing interest. It’s presumably connected with companies establishing subsidiaries there to facilitate continued EU business, which will grow due to Brexit (here’s one example: https://advanced-television.com/2019...to-luxembourg/)

My take on pricing is that it’s low well in advance due to lack of leisure demand, but high close in, as a business heavy route with plenty of price insensitive travellers. CE also seems to be quite busy. It’s also usually quite high priced for transatlantic connections, often double the price of Paris where there is a lot more competition (and direct flights) from the US.
I’m currently flying this route most weeks currently on a mix of BA , Luxair and EasyJet and agree with this. But the recently increased capacity means even at quite short notice (a week out) you can often pick up a one way for less than £100. Loads seem similar on all the carriers. Interesting this news ref Flybe.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
I do sometimes wonder if Terminal switches have to do with aircraft operations.

So for LUX maybe they needed the A321 for peak flights but wanted the smaller A319 for the other services and of course T3 couldn’t provide this flexibility.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 5:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Used to fly loads from GLA-LUX. If with BA it was via LGW, not always convenient connections ... another route was GLA-MAN-LUX with LuxAir. (GLA-MAN was BD back in the day I think?)
Old Feb 3, 2020, 5:02 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Virgin Flying Club Red, Swiss M&M Blue
Public transport is great in Luxembourg. 2 Euros for a 2 hour pass which will get you most places in the country. Taxis from the airport are horribly expensive.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by dobba
Public transport is great in Luxembourg. 2 Euros for a 2 hour pass which will get you most places in the country. Taxis from the airport are horribly expensive.
Or €4 for a whole day for the entire country.
From 1st March 2020, all public transport will be free. For the entire country.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 6:50 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by plunet
For the entire country.
Which, to put it in context, is similar to saying public transport will be free in all of Durham (Unitary Authority area), except the Luxembourgeoisie [1] have the highest per capita GDP in the EU (and ex-EU) countries so they've got the spare cash.

[1] That is the correct collective noun for them, isn't it?
Old Feb 3, 2020, 7:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by dobba
And every time I have been in Luxembourg, whenever I tried to buy a bus ticket I was always told no need to pay and just get off when I wanted to.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 4:29 pm

Has been free on Saturdays for a while (a year or more).
Old Mar 6, 2020, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

So with business travel falling, I have noticed BAs prices to LUX have also been falling over the last week.

Is this route one BA would look to pull in the event of escalating Coronavirus cancellations or does it get a lot of other traffic eg Leisure and Connections?

I am honestly just curious and don't know if my business traffic assumption is right.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 9:16 pm

I'd say these short routes are unlikely to be pulled, they make good slot sitters
Old Mar 7, 2020, 1:03 am

In Lux now - flew in on B0420 Friday.
2 people in group 1 and just me in group 2.
Business was four rows with just two heads I could see, had wondered if people may have been late down from lounge.

Otherwise plane was around half to two thirds full.
BAeuro likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingGarden
In Lux now - flew in on B0420 Friday.
2 people in group 1 and just me in group 2.
Business was four rows with just two heads I could see, had wondered if people may have been late down from lounge.

Otherwise plane was around half to two thirds full.
That’s interesting to know.

Luxembourg is now 3x daily on BA and prices do seem low compared to other routes. I doubt the flights are ever full to burst either.

Thats why I was thinking it may be an easy one to pull if the 80/20 slot rule does get waived and they want to reduce flights.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 10:39 am

Will report back with a Sunday return leg.
BAeuro likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.