Wiki Posts
Search

Group boarding etiquette question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Group boarding etiquette question

I am group 1 boarding, my partner is group 2.

What’s the official line...can I bring him with me in group 1, or tough banana, he just has to wait for group 2?

(Leaving aside argument that if the latter I should of course wait and go with him in group 2.)

Thanks
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
I don’t know if there is an official BA policy on this, but you should both be able to board with group 1. I’m yet to have a problem bringing a travelling companion from another boarding group with me on group 1, but there can always be a gate agent somewhere who decides otherwise...
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
It's usually fine; you shouldn't have any issues with you both boarding in G1
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Given that a lot of the time they appear to call groups 1-3 together ....
Oaxaca and subject2load like this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
If you are on the same reservation Group 1 should appear on both BPs.
cgtechuk, gms and OGG flyer like this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Given that a lot of the time they appear to call groups 1-3 together ....
in smaller airports where there isn’t the space for 5 lines and generally SH this appears to be the practice, others this is not the case so it rather depended on whether the OP is flying from.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Thanks all

Tobias, I don’t believe that’s the case but could well be wrong. (Did a group booking last summer for 4 of us including 2 Gold, and the non Golds were group 4 or 5 even though same PNR. Maybe things have changed since then.)
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Whenderson
Tobias, I don’t believe that’s the case but could well be wrong. (Did a group booking last summer for 4 of us including 2 Gold, and the non Golds were group 4 or 5 even though same PNR. Maybe things have changed since then.)
It is supposed to have changed last year for both same PNRs and for TCP linked bookings, and there's a further release update due shortly. I know it now works for some people in that all get the highest group number.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
When traveling with family (wife SCH and kids just "promoted" to Bronze) on same booking, we always all get Group 1!
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:59 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It is supposed to have changed last year for both same PNRs and for TCP linked bookings, and there's a further release update due shortly. I know it now works for some people in that all get the highest group number.
Do you mean lowest number?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 8:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by golfmad
Do you mean lowest number?
Yes, indeed two (2) ways of looking at that!

Highest status boarding group, lowest numbered group, sooner to board, would be the best way to explain it.
golfmad and yellow_peril like this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

A recent flight (November) with someone on the same PNR as me gave all boarding passes in Group1.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
I had it change around Oct/Nov last year, previously everyone had their own number, now, everyone on same booking all have the highest priority number on the boarding cards. At least for me, it seems BA sorted their issues around this so hopefully the OP will get group 1 on all their boarding passes.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: BA Silver
Not group 1 but had no problem taking people through group 2 when they are 4 or 5 even on a different PNR.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR
I've never had an issue bringing a friend with a different group number on a different PNR to board in group 1, I just say "we're travelling together as we approach the desk".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.