Cancelled flight but not auto rebooked

Old Jan 27, 2019, 2:41 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by golfmad
I think this is the one you mean:

Quick duty of care check
Indeed - thanks! Not sure how I managed that.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
G-DBCE flew back to LGW from Granada at about 2250 last night, which explains rebooking rather than rescheduling.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Anyone on the LHR rebooking, will be in the lounge from 1230 or so. With toddler, say hi. Proactively booked the garden inn prior to cancellation as it was obvious nothing was going to get in, so feeling proper smug now...

We were told it was a night stop, but subsequently rebooked, not sure what is happening with the return LGW plane which was diverted to Granada. Anyone got any ideas?

The queue for hotel vouchers was very long and no agents, so I imagine that lasted into the small hours with everyone wanting a five minute rant.
Got to hotel Sol Principe just before 11 PM. They called CE to the front of the queue so we were processed very quickly. Initaly rebooked onto LHR but only Y available so rerouted via MAD.
The a/c went back from GRX to LGW empty. Not sure why didnt they coach us to GRX and operated from there. FR did it from SVQ.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 2:59 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Anyone on the LHR rebooking, will be in the lounge from 1230 or so. With toddler, say hi. Proactively booked the garden inn prior to cancellation as it was obvious nothing was going to get in, so feeling proper smug now...

We were told it was a night stop, but subsequently rebooked, not sure what is happening with the return LGW plane which was diverted to Granada. Anyone got any ideas?

The queue for hotel vouchers was very long and no agents, so I imagine that lasted into the small hours with everyone wanting a five minute rant.
From reading previous threads on here, that was definitely the right call in sorting your own hotel booking. It is certainly what I would do in a similar circumstance. No point queuing when quietly confident that BA will pay out reasonable costs.
Brainless69 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by madfish

From reading previous threads on here, that was definitely the right call in sorting your own hotel booking. It is certainly what I would do in a similar circumstance. No point queuing when quietly confident that BA will pay out reasonable costs.
its times like these Im super thankful for FT and everyone on here. Certainly made my experience a lot easier to deal with! So thank you everyone who offered great advice especially @bisonrav for much guidance and pre emption
sam lewis71 and madfish like this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:31 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Had to queue for my wife's visa check. Both priority and normal checkin lines were full of non status which I thought was fair enough.

And then the boss decided she'd had enough and marched down the queue summarily dismissing the interlopers to the other queue. One of those women whose very first syllable says 'don't f*ck with me'.

Was quite funny but I felt for those at the front who'd been queuing for 40 mins.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Just to give a bit of background here, if a flight is held overnight, and therefore is expected to run just very late, then the reservations are kept on the flight, boarding passes would usually still be valid (depending on the airport's own gate system) and it obviously makes check-in / seating very straightforward. On longhaul with perhaps one flight a day this is realistically the best way of working; however AGP is almost at the other end of the spectrum since when operating normally it's actually one of the best connected airports in mainland Europe in terms of routes to the UK. But the downside to that is anyone who wants to go on another service has to be offloaded from the flight, and it's not necessarily evident to the Contact Centre staff that something has gone wrong with the flight, at least initially. Being offloaded would normally be only open to those on flexible tickets in normal circumstances since most tickets sold wouldn't allow for a flight switch without extra charges. The app / BA.com still has the flight working as normal so no option there either.

That said after 2 hours delay informally, and 5 hours formally, people are free to seek alternative arrangements and so Contact Centres tend to be helpful then. The 5 hour aspect is both in the Conditions of Carriage and EC261, and it's worth bearing in mind since in addition to being rebooked, the passenger can get a refund, and thus look at other airlines if the airport isn't rebooking people.

The bolded bit is what confused me (and prob others too) as the app said cancelled with an option button to rebook/refund. Just when clicking that it went forward to the next flights on itenary ignoring the cancelled flight
Old Jan 27, 2019, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by lehovec
Crew would not have timed out. They reported for duty at LGW at 1440 and if operating just 2 sectors latest they could have landed back at LGW would have been 0240. If 3rd sector would have been added, such as GRX-AGP, latest arrival at LGW would have been 0040 however EASA rules allow up to 3 hrs captains discretion in the even of unforseen circumstances (such as adverse weather) to return to base. So from crew hours perspective, it coulld have been done.
2 hours of Captains discretion is normally available. The last hour is normally for unseen circumstances and requires a report to be written for the CAA.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
It really isnt as simple as saying the captain can extend flying by an extra couple of hours therefore they should have flown from the divert, pick up pax then back to base, they must take into account a number of factors such as cumulative fatigue of crew, the fact this would require critical phases of flight (I.e.landing) against circadian circle, it would increase the number of sectors etc. These all add to the risks and Im grateful that pilots are good at dynamic risk management.

im sure some of our pilots of the forum could elaborate more.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: BA Silver
Of course captain's discretion is just that, captains decision after carefully considering all factors and deciding whether the crew are fit to operate. Even without captains discretion the crew had enough hours to take off from GRX empty, try landing in AGP. If they manage to get in, perfect, pick the passengers up and take them home. If not, carry on empty back. I have done this many times with my previous airline. They would have been well within hours to do this. EZY and Transavia did just that.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by lehovec
Of course captain's discretion is just that, captains decision after carefully considering all factors and deciding whether the crew are fit to operate. Even without captains discretion the crew had enough hours to take off from GRX empty, try landing in AGP. If they manage to get in, perfect, pick the passengers up and take them home. If not, carry on empty back. I have done this many times with my previous airline. They would have been well within hours to do this. EZY and Transavia did just that.
There is also the knock on effect to the flight the following day- my understanding is they have to have 12 hours rest between work periods of a rest of the length of the previous period of work if greater than 12 hours, without having the roster do we know what their flight pattern actually was?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.