Bar party in the cabin :-(

Old Jan 26, 2019, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Was anyone else in the WT+ cabin disturbed enough to complain?
I didn't complain. Just mentioned it as a reason to come to WT for a lie down. The CC didn't want me "lying down" so quite right to refuse but should have said something to the three people. One was in his seat, the other stood up and went to the exit and the other was in the aisle leaning against seat G. IE about 7 feet apart. :-)

Only other person to complain was my colleague (but it was more a moment to the CC), the rest of WT+ were at the other end of the cabin.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by teledude
Did you enjoy the drinks onboard too?
Sure did, but didn't shout to my colleague next to me after it :-)
Old Jan 26, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
I do feel for the OP. It’s bloody annoying being disturbed by fellow travellers. This will become a bigger an bigger problem going forward as aircraft get quieter. On both the A330 & A380 I’ve experienced snorers being sat/laid down several rows away being rather loud, and I was myself told off onboard an A340 for disturbing a guy who was trying to sleep. We were three guys having a sober conversation, but especially the Airbus cabins are now so quiet it might become a challenge. Being on a significantly louder 777 only proves your point that they must have been loud.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chris1922Mk2
If I'm reading this right, some pax were already in WT+, but had some friends come and join them from WT. Is that right ? And the OP was told they couldn't go and sit in WT for some peace and quiet ?
So, self upgrading and causing a disturbance is OK, but self down grading is not ?
Ridiculous.
I'd have made sure I spoke to CSM, and would also be submitting a complaint after the journey.
The other bloke was in WT+ but at the far corner, came across with the beers and stood in the aisle.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Obruni Boy
Why on earth ask whether you can go in WT If the cabin is relatively empty it's not unreasonable and you are only inviting a negative response. Next time just do it.

Old habits. My Mum always told me to ask :-)
adrianlondon and writerguyfl like this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
I can imagine it being very annoying for other passengers and the cabin crew really should have done something about it.

I remember we had a party on QR at the A380 bar from DOH-BKK and at times the group (which I was part of) got a little noisy. Cabin Crew asked us to be a little quieter and we were, the alcohol was flowing and anyone who wanted to join the drinks and party could.

Likewise, 90% of my travel is leisure so I don't mind having a drink or 10 but I always try and be mindful of people who are going to meetings or are just exceedingly tired and want to sleep
Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:36 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Same advise as is given when a child can scream and scream in business or even first... it’s public transport and you are not entitled to quiet, to suck it up and bear it, and if you don’t like it to take a private jet and decide the bar service hours yourself.

If you paid Ł1700 those people could have easily paid in excess of Ł5,000 to enjoy their beverages onboard and the only legitimate action the cabin crew can enforce or BA apologise for not taking, is to ask one to return to his assigned seat or to curtail alcohol service if they were in fact intoxicated.

Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by amt
Same advise as is given when a child can scream and scream in business or even first... it’s public transport and you are not entitled to quiet, to suck it up and bear it, and if you don’t like it to take a private jet and decide the bar service hours yourself.

If you paid Ł1700 those people could have easily paid in excess of Ł5,000 to enjoy their beverages onboard and the only legitimate action the cabin crew can enforce or BA apologise for not taking, is to ask one to return to his assigned seat or to curtail alcohol service if they were in fact intoxicated.
I see it the other way around. Everyone is entitled, as far as possible, to a quiet an peaceful flight. That's the baseline, and no one should be willfully engaging in activity that disrupts that. There will be the occasional exception - for example some babies will cry regardless of how good the parents are.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by amt

No, a crying baby is annoying but in many cases unavoidable. Babies don't have a choice and often neither do their parents. Loud yahoos enjoying a few bevvies are fully in control of what they do and CC are also fully in control of the way they approach this behaviour.

It may be public transport but that doesn't give selfish yahoos the right to disturb others when it is clearly a time for sleep for many.
SK, LTN Phobia, JAXBA and 7 others like this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:45 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
I didn't complain. Just mentioned it as a reason to come to WT for a lie down. The CC didn't want me "lying down" so quite right to refuse but should have said something to the three people. One was in his seat, the other stood up and went to the exit and the other was in the aisle leaning against seat G. IE about 7 feet apart. :-)

Only other person to complain was my colleague (but it was more a moment to the CC), the rest of WT+ were at the other end of the cabin.
You need to complain, and make your complaint utterly clear. I did so under exactly the same circumstance (as in people milling around the exit and making hell of a noise for a while, and I was in the exit row)*, and clearly stated what the problem was, and I would need their help in asking them to go away, and that I would need a downgrade if it continued, which I should not need to do.

It was sorted out in 2 minutes flat

Be a whinger like me when the situation warrants it, which yours clearly did.

Stiff upper lip, euphemism, avoidance of sounding like you are demanding something isn't always a good thing when it comes to air travel, when someone is clearly doing something inappropriate (like being utterly inconsiderate). It's your right to demand they go bugger off, and seek the assistance of cabin crew members to facilitate their buggering off.

*This was on QF many years ago, when I was only just learning my travel assertiveness. Those guys who made a racket did me a big favour by helping me to acquire sufficient assertiveness and insistence to get things sorted

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jan 27, 2019 at 4:04 am
Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:57 pm

Noise is really a problem for me too, I sometimes think that there’s a switch in some people and not in others that controls the ability to consider others.

Even if I was with friends and we were going on holiday, enjoying the refreshments a little too much, I’d still think about how everyone else might want to enjoy the flight too.

It’s common courtesy which is sadly far from common.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 2:13 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I recently flew in from somewhere to LHR recently on a delayed afternoon flight.

While sat in the lounge, a mother was trying to settle her 10 month old daughter, while another group were busy doing their utmost to drink the lounge dry. They were shouting, hollering, had music on speakerphone, and weren't sober. People were taking about them, but nobody seemed to want to do anything.

The mother was in a corner with little light, but her daughter was crying. Now, there are many reasons a baby can cry, but overtiredness and the inability to settle is a big one.

As a relatively new parent, I saw it as my responsibility to try and get the group to be quiet, and thus aid the mother in her attempts.

I approached the group, who were all English, and asked them politely to lower the noise. They laughed and said that it was a public space for all to enjoy. I agreed, but one of them referenced the crying baby. I threw back a line of "I can't silence the baby, but I can have you guys silenced", to which they s......ed proclaiming "It's our right get drunk".

Two minutes later, on mine and 2 others asking who had seen what was going on, they were asked to leave the lounge by the Manager - and duly did so.

Baby asleep within 4 minutes, lounge back at normal noise levels, and all peaceful.

I had a chat with the Mum, who was on her first flight with her daughter. She was clearly nervous, spoke no English, but was grateful a few of us had helped.

She was quite relaxed until boarding time, when one of the group decided their issue was with the mother, and not me. The chap approached, started swearing loudly at her, and referenced "your ...... baby got us kicked out".

I'd love to say that at this point, the boarding gate ascended into a chivalrous manner and helped out the lady, but other than me standing in the way (and being spat at for my troubles), nobody moved.

One of the gate staff however saw what had happened, and had security remove the passenger from the gate area. He didn't board, but the rest of his group did - where they continued to drink, I presume supplied by the crew.

They were loud again, but were told to be quiet by the passengers sat nearer them - which they abided by!

There are many on FT who bemoan a baby crying or screaming as equal to an adult being disruptive, and in some cases I can understand their perspective. However, an adult is in control of their actions. A baby is not.

M

Last edited by msm2000uk; Jan 27, 2019 at 2:22 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.