Bar party in the cabin :-(

Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Bar party in the cabin :-(

Bit of a rant here.

I was on the quietest LHR-PVG flight ever. About 30 in the whole of economy, about 12 in WT+ (including me in the bulkhead). Two others in WT+ seats JK and then their pal joins them and all three are having a bar corner jolly and piss up at the exit and wake everyone up. I go to CC and say can I come in economy for a lie down, the guys at the exit are making a racket. ANS: No, I only assume because they had a nice cabin all laid out that they didn't want disturbed

Okay, I go back and said to the noisy blokes, excuse me, Ignored. Excuse me, You are making so much noise I'll go "there" for a sleep (quit happy to have a different seat on my own anyway). Got a look of ... from them.

I've seen this quite a lot from UK people (I'm from the UK) at the exit row having a party on flights to Asia being really noisy in cabins on an overnight with a I'm alright Jack attitude and cabin crew do nowt.

I mentioned to the cabin crew again and they said. Yes, sorry about that, they are a bit noisy. BUT nothing done about it.

I know the price of the flight was irrelevant but it was Ł1700 (bought at last minute) for a noisy WT+. I expect better flights for that.

Ahhhh, that's better, got it off my chest. :-)
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: BA
The CC should have had a word with the passenger's making noise. In future, if you are not happy with the CC, ask to speak to the CSM/CSD who will resolve the situation.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
PS: I had decent ear plug in and also had my headphones on for extra noise barrier. They were that loud.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
I've seen this quite a lot from UK people (I'm from the UK) at the exit row having a party on flights to Asia being really noisy in cabins on an overnight with a I'm alright Jack attitude and cabin crew do now.
Sound like a bunch of bogans. (Thank you AFF for increasing my language skills!)
SK, makin'miles, mikeyfly and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Not good enough.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
Sound like a bunch of bogans. (Thank you AFF for increasing my language skills!)
Bogans are Aussies, Chav's are the English equivalent, or Neds in Scotland.
SK, Aus_Mal, mrow and 8 others like this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: GGL/CCR
Bit of a rant here.

I was on the quietest LHR-PVG flight ever. About 30 in the whole of economy, about 12 in WT+ (including me in the bulkhead). Two others in WT+ seats JK and then their pal joins them and all three are having a bar corner jolly and piss up at the exit and wake everyone up. I go to CC and say can I come in economy for a lie down, the guys at the exit are making a racket. ANS: No, I only assume because they had a nice cabin all laid out that they didn't want disturbed

Okay, I go back and said to the noisy blokes, excuse me, Ignored. Excuse me, You are making so much noise I'll go "there" for a sleep (quit happy to have a different seat on my own anyway). Got a look of ... from them.

I've seen this quite a lot from UK people (I'm from the UK) at the exit row having a party on flights to Asia being really noisy in cabins on an overnight with a I'm alright Jack attitude and cabin crew do nowt.

I mentioned to the cabin crew again and they said. Yes, sorry about that, they are a bit noisy. BUT nothing done about it.

I know the price of the flight was irrelevant but it was Ł1700 (bought at last minute) for a noisy WT+. I expect better flights for that.

Ahhhh, that's better, got it off my chest. :-)
Did you enjoy the drinks onboard too?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I think any sort of prolonged noise or disturbance like that should be addressed by the CC . Doing nothing isn't acceptable. I would have asked to speak to the CSM / CSD on the basis that the CC were not dealing with the issue, and I would definitely follow up with Customer Relations as well.

I had a similar type of incident on a long haul flight where we were on the UD and were constantly being "invaded" by people from downstairs visiting their friends, drinking, swearing (the language was obscene) and generally creating a lot of noise, a nuisance and a general disturbance. The CC on the upper deck (one of whom was on her first flight, and the other who had only 6 months in the job) were ineffective and basically ignored the problem. It is probably only the second time I had a DYKWIA moment on a plane and stomped downstairs to find the CSM. The only way they could get the passengers back in their seats in their correct cabin was to have the seatbelt sign switched on.

The CSM was extremely apologetic and boarders were repelled and sent back downstairs from that point on, but the whole episode was unnecessary and should have been nipped in the bud from the outset.
Markie, PETER01, orbitmic and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Was anyone else in the WT+ cabin disturbed enough to complain?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is not OP who ought to have moved.

While it is too late to fix the problem now, OP should certainly make a clear & concise complaint to BA so that the issue can be addressed.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:49 pm

I don't drink on planes generally these days, but I think there is an issue that addressing the drunk people could lead to an escalation, and cabin crew are taught to deescalate. The CC probably thought that the OP would go away after a bit, and he did... I suspect if you make sufficient fuss, they would have acted.

They just don't want to be seen as the bad guys
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:53 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
If I'm reading this right, some pax were already in WT+, but had some friends come and join them from WT. Is that right ? And the OP was told they couldn't go and sit in WT for some peace and quiet ?
So, self upgrading and causing a disturbance is OK, but self down grading is not ?
Ridiculous.
I'd have made sure I spoke to CSM, and would also be submitting a complaint after the journey.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:53 am

Why on earth ask whether you can go in WT If the cabin is relatively empty it's not unreasonable and you are only inviting a negative response. Next time just do it.
work2fly, Silver Fox and :D! like this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 3:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
OP calls it a rant - but to my mind, a totally justified one.

It’s one thing to be troubled in this way by the wholly inconsiderate behaviour of fellow passengers ; and another to have your appeals for constructive support from CC totally ignored. I would have felt similarly aggrieved.

I would most likely have taken myself down to the near-empty WT ; and if subsequently challenged by CC, explain that I value the ability to enjoy my flight within a reasonably calm environment, hence my choice of cabin when booking. “Could you please help me by taking action to quell the disturbance so that I can then return to my original seat ?”
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I go to CC and say can I come in economy for a lie down, the guys at the exit are making a racket. ANS: No, I only assume because they had a nice cabin all laid out that they didn't want disturbed
I agree with others here. Even if there wasn't any noise I would have been down in WT, made a bed, and been sound asleep. No questions asked!
Silver Fox likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.