Wiki Posts
Search

United codesharing on BA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Silver,
United codesharing on BA

As One world is generally hopeless in Canada I searched on United for MAN-YYC expecting the usual UA via EWR and KL via AMS. So imagine my surprise when MAN-LHR on BA came up as a routing option is this normal...?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Totally normal - just some websites are better at picking up interline fare agreements than others. Note it's not a codeshare, as the MAN-LHR is a BA flight number rather than a UA flight number.

Interlining is the lowest level of partnership, followed by codesharing/JV/etc.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA6501
Totally normal - just some websites are better at picking up interline fare agreements than others. Note it's not a codeshare, as the MAN-LHR is a BA flight number rather than a UA flight number.
Thanks! I had never even heard the term "interline fare". Does that mean if BA1371 was delayed UA would still have to get me to YYC? And if I was to fly in Y I could use the terraces lounge at MAN by virtue of status?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ThrowingBoeing
Thanks! I had never even heard the term "interline fare". Does that mean if BA1371 was delayed UA would still have to get me to YYC? And if I was to fly in Y I could use the terraces lounge at MAN by virtue of status?
That's because there isn't really such a term

When the airline lists its fare , the fare rules will detail valid routings and valid airlines - no reason why BA wouldn't have agreement with UA or AC

Alternatively it could be end-on-end ticketing where it is a BA fare from MAN-LHR plus a AC fare from LHR-YYC

As long as it is sold as a through ticketed itinerary, fully protected

Prior to the BA flight ( as long as on a BA or One World flight number ) then could use the lounge in Manchester

Not sure where UA comes into it. Looking at the screenshot, it appers to be Air Canada from London

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jan 22, 2019 at 5:43 pm
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If BA is delayed into LHR such that you misconnect onto AC, then it is BA which must reroute you. The convention is that the carrier causing the misconnect is responsible. If, on the other hand, the YYC flight is cancelled, it is AC which must handle the reroute.

I can't imagine UA becoming involved as it does not operate either segment.
ThrowingBoeing likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
And if I was to fly in Y I could use the terraces lounge at MAN by virtue of status?
You would have a ticket to fly on BA1371 MAN-LHR and you are a BA Gold. For the purposes of lounge access, it really doesn't matter whether the fare on your ticket was filed by BA, CX, QF, QR, VS, AC or UA, nor which one of them issued the ticket.
ThrowingBoeing likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Not sure where UA comes into it. Looking at the screenshot, it appers to be Air Canada from London
That's from the UA website. They seem to offer all sorts of combinations - pretty much whatever is acceptable under a UA-filed fare.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
You can get the same routing/airline combo via AC’s website.

AC will sell you INV-YYC too with the first leg on BA.

UA/LH/AC all seem to sell pretty much interchangeable routings/fares on their websites.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Wasn't there a bunch of domestic routes which BA has to offer as part of the agreement for the take over of BMI?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Worcester
Wasn't there a bunch of domestic routes which BA has to offer as part of the agreement for the take over of BMI?
That would make sense to me as I struggle to get my head round why BA would want be a feeder flight for *A. It seems a huge risk for not much money to have the responsibility of getting passengers to their end point in the event of a delay?

In my example BA1371 can't generate huge amounts and should it be delayed enough to miss AC871 then BA would then have to book passengers via SEA/YVR etc
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
It happens at outstations in reverse.

Even though BA and WestJet seem to just about tolerate each other, if you want to go to any of the smaller cities in Canada, BA will happily sell you a ticket with a WS connecting flight on it.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Worcester
That would make sense to me as I struggle to get my head round why BA would want be a feeder flight for *A.
See:-
Mergers: Commission approves acquisition of British Midlands (bmi) by IAG subject to conditions

... Furthermore, IAG committed to entering into special agreements with competing airlines which operate long haul flights out of London Heathrow to provide these airlines with connecting passengers, including from UK domestic routes and other European routes. Passengers will therefore continue to have a choice to use other airlines than IAG when connecting at London Heathrow.

And further see pages 154-161 and 182-187 of the main document. There are other coincidentally interesting documents available from the case page.

Wasn't it Michael Bishop who once described BD as the "tart of the skies" because BD would carry anyone's code so long as they paid?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:45 pm

Around 50 years ago I frequently flew from Scotland via London to various points in North America. The transatlantic leg was more often on TWA, Pan Am or Delta than BA (or BOAC), although GLA (or EDI) to LHR was invariably on BEA. That was in the days of paper tickets, and I always got a single book of four coupons (unless the trip involved more than four legs, in which case there were two books stapled together).

Thus a BA-AC journey is a long-established phenomenon that is unlikely to have any connection with the absorption of BMI into BA.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Isn't this just a case of AC's website tapping into the GDS? On the old AA website you choose between AA, oneworld or all airlines, the latter would allow you to book tickets on pretty much anyone, even DL or competitors as it was just going into SABRE...
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That would make sense to me as I struggle to get my head round why BA would want be a feeder flight for *A. It seems a huge risk for not much money to have the responsibility of getting passengers to their end point in the event of a delay?

In my example BA1371 can't generate huge amounts and should it be delayed enough to miss AC871 then BA would then have to book passengers via SEA/YVR etc
Because BA is offering flights for domestic travel and has an agreement with AC for travel so that it can sell through fares

Looking at AC's fares for MAN-YYC, it looks like a shorthaul connection can be done on various options including BA,SK,EI,BE and SN depending on the route chosen

It works in reverse too - BA may want to provide domestic travel within another country and sell seats on an airline in that country

it is a perfectly normal situation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.