Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Need some clarification on codeshare travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

Hi all,

New member, but long time lurker. I've read the upgrade threads, etc, but would appreciate some clarification.

I normally book directly with the operating airlines, but for an upcoming trip (ex-US to Europe) I had a credit with AA. We booked through AA on BA metal (001 tickets) into WT to use the credit.

As I understand it:
1. We will not get a POUG. Correct?
2. We may get an upgrade offer at OLCI. Correct?
3. AUP is still possible. Correct?
4. There is still a possibility we could get an upgrade offer (OLCI/AUP) from WT to CW (not just WT to WTP). Correct?
5. At the airport, we use BA check in/luggage drop off even though we booked through AA. Correct?
6. This one is more open ended. If we are offered WT to WTP at OLCI will we still be eligible for an AUP to CW? If yes, would they credit the difference we paid towards the upgrade to WTP towards the CW upgrade?

I appreciate the help and look forward to contributing to the community!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:56 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sidthesquid
I appreciate the help and look forward to contributing to the community!
Very good, and you are of course most welcome here, welcome to the BA forum and to Flyertalk. We've had a lot of new members today for some reason but there's space for plenty more. I hope you have a good flight.

As I understand it:
1. We will not get a POUG. Correct?
2. We may get an upgrade offer at OLCI. Correct?
3. AUP is still possible. Correct?
4. There is still a possibility we could get an upgrade offer (OLCI/AUP) from WT to CW (not just WT to WTP). Correct?
5. At the airport, we use BA check in/luggage drop off even though we booked through AA. Correct?
6. This one is more open ended. If we are offered WT to WTP at OLCI will we still be eligible for an AUP to CW? If yes, would they credit the difference we paid towards the upgrade to WTP towards the CW upgrade?
1. You definitely won't get a POUG
2. You may get an upgrade at OLCI but I think it is very unlkely, since the mechanism is POUG based and relates to the underlying ticket - which isn't a BA ticket.
3. You certainly can still get an AUP
4, This AUP can be to CW (and more likely so than WTP on certain routes). POUG is never 2 cabins.
5. For the flight itself you become a BA customer and so yes you check in at BA desks and follow the system as if you had a BA ticket.
6. All cash upgrades count to the final cabin if crediting to BA but you may need to hang on to your boarding pass in view of the AA ticketing.
6,1 Your final question: depending on flight availability and myriad other factors, if you are asking the easiest/cheapest way into CW, then my suspicion is that ypu best pay for WTP - via AA - and see what happens. You can use the Flight Availability thread in the Dashboard to get a feel for how full your flight is, but the easiest area for upgrades is WTP to CW, either paid or the so-called involuntary types. I think a POUG is unlikely anyway, but the AUP a two cabin jump is possible. But it is demand regulated, so if you are travelling ORD-LHR in WTP on a busy Thursday your upgrade chances are going to be better than Tuesday from PHX.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Very good, and you are of course most welcome here, welcome to the BA forum and to Flyertalk. We've had a lot of new members today for some reason but there's space for plenty more. I hope you have a good flight.

1. You definitely won't get a POUG
2. You may get an upgrade at OLCI but I think it is very unlkely, since the mechanism is POUG based and relates to the underlying ticket - which isn't a BA ticket.
3. You certainly can still get an AUP
4, This AUP can be to CW (and more likely so than WTP on certain routes). POUG is never 2 cabins.
5. For the flight itself you become a BA customer and so yes you check in at BA desks and follow the system as if you had a BA ticket.
6. All cash upgrades count to the final cabin if crediting to BA but you may need to hang on to your boarding pass in view of the AA ticketing.
6,1 Your final question: depending on flight availability and myriad other factors, if you are asking the easiest/cheapest way into CW, then my suspicion is that ypu best pay for WTP - via AA - and see what happens. You can use the Flight Availability thread in the Dashboard to get a feel for how full your flight is, but the easiest area for upgrades is WTP to CW, either paid or the so-called involuntary types. I think a POUG is unlikely anyway, but the AUP a two cabin jump is possible. But it is demand regulated, so if you are travelling ORD-LHR in WTP on a busy Thursday your upgrade chances are going to be better than Tuesday from PHX.
Thanks for the welcome and insight!

We decided to flight out of PHL on BA66 (747). I was hoping to get a good nights sleep in CW. I had to book into WT due to the circumstances of the AA credit, otherwise I'd have booked directly with BA.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:45 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Flying from PHL on a 747 would suggest that an AUP at check-in PHL would be your best bet, they do promote upgrades there, so perhaps get to the airport 2.5 hours before departure to maximiise chances.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Flying from PHL on a 747 would suggest that an AUP at check-in PHL would be your best bet, they do promote upgrades there, so perhaps get to the airport 2.5 hours before departure to maximiise chances.
Appreciate the help! I enjoy getting the the airport early. Do you think the offer, if it happens, will be around the typical $500-$700/person range?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:30 pm

Do you think the offer, if it happens, will be around the typical $500-$700/person range?
Yes, that sounds about right, but there is a detailed thread on AUP in the Dashboard. As ever, depends a bit on whether BA want your money more than they want your WT seat.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:29 pm

According to the dashboard

PHL
LHR-PHL: WT to WTP, LHR, Ł200 (April 2014)
PHL-LHR: WT to WTP, PHL, $390 (Jan 2017)
PHL-LHR: CW to F, PHL, $709 (Sept 2017)
PHL-LHR, WTP-CW, PHL, $551 (Jan 2019)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.