Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do I have grounds for complaint?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Being direct : yes you can, as the travellers who have to commute at peak times in Y to high-fare European destinations at a few hundred pounds a time for just 20TPs will attest. @:-)
It appears that BA aren’t really interested in that type of business though. If they were, then they would award significantly more TPs for the high/full Y fares within Europe would they not? Much like they do for long haul J or F fares.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Well I had a bit of a rant back in July 2005 on this board along the lines of having spent £12k to get to Silver so it is more than possible to spend shed loads of money and still be bronze ( not that bronze existed then!)

However it looks like the most substantive part of the OP’s issue is the time it takes Ba.com to upgrade the status against your account. Reality is that it takes longer than it should, but complaining will probably be even more frustrating for the OP.

OP here and yes I agree, I’m onboard now with my bag in the overhead and a whisky I bought myself. Hey. I’ll move on but just feel that BA probably have worked out that this little delay can add up in the year end figures and I’m calling it as being a bit mean.
ThatT1Feeling and SaraJH like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
It’s quite possible for someone to spend just over £1000 a week on a fully flexible Y ticket to/from Milan and only ear. 40 TP per trip
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Being direct : yes you can, as the travellers who have to commute at peak times in Y to high-fare European destinations at a few hundred pounds a time for just 20TPs will attest. @:-)
I appreciate this isn't the main thrust of the thread, but the OP did indicate they were flying in Group 1 which (since they are not Gold) would mean CE / 40TP per sector no?

Originally Posted by sparkswillfly
I’m just someone who sees a broken process and wants to fix it. I reckon this system delay thing is wrong but hey it’s a first world problem. ��
While I can certainly appreciate your frustration, if your hope is that BA will implement an improvement to process the change between tiers faster, then I have to think a complaint to Customer Service would be utterly futile in this regard.

I'd chalk it up to experience, the movement between tiers is what it is - and sometimes people fall into the gap between taking the flight and the system awarding them their new status.

Perhaps we should be careful what we wish for here - I understood the reason that the membership year extends approximately 7 weeks beyond the TP collection year was in bygone times it gave BA time to process downgrades and post out new cards (That may be nonsense, but I thought I'd read it). Any argument that status uplifts should be available 'instantly' could be used by BA to say that downgrades in status will now be applied with equal alacrity.

Last edited by BertieBadger; Jan 24, 2019 at 10:23 am Reason: Clarification on TPs
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:16 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by rossmacd

It appears that BA aren’t really interested in that type of business though. If they were, then they would award significantly more TPs for the high/full Y fares within Europe would they not? Much like they do for long haul J or F fares.
Well maybe, but a point that's unrelated to the dismissive assertion that the OP can't have spent thousands and only just made Silver.,
SW7London and SaraJH like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:31 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
So funny, they board groups 1,2 and 3 simultaneously here so I’m on the same bus as the Gold and because I’m on last I’m nearest the door.
Grounds for a compliment?
Fraser and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:42 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Thanks for the reply, I think... you’ve basically called me a liar but hey I’m in a good mood so I’ll ignore that.

Welcome to the BA board.
tynmar and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance

That aside. Those 3 or 4 days are a system thing I suspect and not an entitlement thing. My question is more like, has anyone managed to successfully challenge BA on this before?
There are things worth complaining about/challenging others about, and there are things that are not worth doing so.

This one, I very strongly suspect, is the latter. You'd end up wasting your own time, and the only person who loses out would be the person who complains, i.e. yourself.

I'd forget this and move on.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:57 pm

Where do you think I stand with this?
Think carefully about whether BA status is worth it for you. Have you worked out how much flying BA costs you, when compared with say Ryanair / EasyJet / whoever is cheapest? Would you save enough to justify a Priority Pass for lounge access, and perhaps an EasyJet plus card so you get row 1, fast security etc.?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:00 pm

Indeed. And by the time you complain and get a decent response, your status would have been upgraded to silver already so it’s a bit moot.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Just remember you can still earn status by pure number of flights flown for a reason, fly 50 low TP earning flights and you’ll get silver (so BA does still value those customers too, albeit the less common route to silver).
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by navylad; Jan 24, 2019 at 5:43 pm
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
I appreciate this isn't the main thrust of the thread, but the OP did indicate they were flying in Group 1 which (since they are not Gold) would mean CE / 40TP per sector no?

While I can certainly appreciate your frustration, if your hope is that BA will implement an improvement to process the change between tiers faster, then I have to think a complaint to Customer Service would be utterly futile in this regard.

I'd chalk it up to experience, the movement between tiers is what it is - and sometimes people fall into the gap between taking the flight and the system awarding them their new status.

Perhaps we should be careful what we wish for here - I understood the reason that the membership year extends approximately 7 weeks beyond the TP collection year was in bygone times it gave BA time to process downgrades and post out new cards (That may be nonsense, but I thought I'd read it). Any argument that status uplifts should be available 'instantly' could be used by BA to say that downgrades in status will now be applied with equal alacrity.

If they were flying Club Europe they would have lounge access which is one of the main concerns of the OP
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Indeed. And by the time you complain and get a decent response, your status would have been upgraded to silver already so it’s a bit moot.
Strictly speaking though the T&C say once you have 4 flights and 600 TP you get Silver which gives you xxxx perks. It does t say 24-48 hours after you have reached our milestones our wonderful IT system will change your status. What harm would it do to fire off an email to say you were disappointed at having met the criteria for Silver you were denied the benefits of Silver on a recent flight.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder

Strictly speaking though the T&C say once you have 4 flights and 600 TP you get Silver which gives you xxxx perks. It does t say 24-48 hours after you have reached our milestones our wonderful IT system will change your status. What harm would it do to fire off an email to say you were disappointed at having met the criteria for Silver you were denied the benefits of Silver on a recent flight.
What benefit did the OP not get? AFaIK he didn’t ask at the lounge and boarded as he said with group 1 in any case. So not having Silver and Group 1 printed in boarding card?

I think i would have asked at the lounge and seen what would have happened.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Strictly speaking though the T&C say once you have 4 flights and 600 TP you get Silver which gives you xxxx perks. It does t say 24-48 hours after you have reached our milestones our wonderful IT system will change your status.
Are you suggesting the status change should occur on landing or perhaps when the doors open? I don't think many people (perhaps yourself and the OP excepted) would consider that to be reasonable.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:40 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
If they were flying Club Europe they would have lounge access which is one of the main concerns of the OP
Thanks for the reply. Perhaps I could have been clearer, but my comment about CE was in response to the (admittedly entirely moot) side-discussion about the rate of status earning for the OP. So you (and OxonFlyer made a similar point) said that:

It’s quite possible for someone to spend just over £1000 a week on a fully flexible Y ticket to/from Milan and only ear. 40 TP per trip
So, while that may certainly be true as a general statement I contend that it cannot be the case here simply because the OP has told us as much (emphasis mine):

I’m at Linate (Milan) right now, I’ve spent many thousands of pounds on BA over the past couple of months in Group 1
As non-Gold, the OP must have been routinely travelling the CE cabin to be in Group 1,and therefore must have been earning at 80TP per return trip to/from LON. (And it is only this trip they are "up the back")

To return to the main thrust of the thread, certainly we can wish that BA were faster at reflecting status changes - though presumably we would only wish this when the direction of change is in our favour? - but along with others I would content that this is not a battle worth fighting. If the hope is that a complaint will result in BA making improvements to their IT processes in this area I think most people here would regard that as shall we say.....unlikely?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.