Do I have grounds for complaint?

Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Do I have grounds for complaint?

I thought I’d check with you all to check who I complain to and if it’s likely to achieve anything.

I’m at Linate (Milan) right now, I’ve spent many thousands of pounds on BA over the past couple of months in Group 1 so I’m (as of two days ago) silver.

The inbound leg was ridiculously expensive so I’m up the back of the plane but I thought, ah well, at least I’ll have lounge access and a half decent chance of finding luggage room for my laptop bag.

I’m still flagged as Bronze and I’ve been given a Group 3. No lounge and no priority.

BA online at the progress bar says “You’re Silver” but the background and top bar status still show Bronze, so does the app.

Check in staff when asked politely said she could only give me the priority luggage tag. She was nice but couldn’t do much and of course I was polite.

Now, technically I’ve paid for this entitlement and not received it.

Where do you think I stand with this?

Thank you for any advice
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by sparkswillfly
I’m at Linate (Milan) right now, I’ve spent many thousands of pounds on BA over the past couple of months in Group 1 so I’m (as of two days ago) silver.
Without being too direct, you can't have spent that much money with BA (or other OW carriers) since if you had, you would be significantly higher up the status chain.

That being said, it is widely known around here that it takes BA IT a few (3-4) days post crediting the flight that takes you over a tier threshold to update your latest status. This seems to be what happens here. Yes, in a perfect world, it would be instant but we all know the state of BA's IT so that would be somewhat unrealistic.

You are in a bit of an edge case here I'm afraid, and it certainly is not worth complaining. For short haul if you are arriving with time to spare in the terminal, you are arriving too early in my opinion
Takiteasy and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
In your position I think I would just console myself that this would probably be your final flight lounge-less and Group 3.

The lounge in LIN is worth a visit, on another trip, but due to the bus boarding at LIN you aren't missing much by being Group 3.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply, I think... you’ve basically called me a liar but hey I’m in a good mood so I’ll ignore that. Started flying on customer contract busniness in October and it’s end of January now. Approx 200 to 250 quid a pop for flight at least once a week from LHR to France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Sweden. I think that’s counts as a few thousand pounds but I let my accountant take care of that.
I just see 625 TP.

That aside. Those 3 or 4 days are a system thing I suspect and not an entitlement thing. My question is more like, has anyone managed to successfully challenge BA on this before?

Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
That aside. Those 3 or 4 days are a system thing I suspect and not an entitlement thing. My question is more like, has anyone managed to successfully challenge BA on this before?
The main thread on the moving tiers is here:

A brief guide to moving between Tiers in the BAEC

If you were at LHR or LGW I would show your app to the lounge agent and generally, if unofficially, they would let you in. I don't think I've seen it at LIN but it's possible the agent would be familiar with the App and make an exception. There's no point asking at check-in, since it's not their problem anyway. There may have been a case for asking for an AUP quote if the extra TPs and lounge would have been worthwhile.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:31 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
My question is more like, has anyone managed to successfully challenge BA on this before?
Challenge what exactly? The fact that there's a gap between flying and a status upgrade? If so, I suggest you leave it. It will probably have resolved itself by the time you next fly and by the time you receive a response from BA about it.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
My question is more like, has anyone managed to successfully challenge BA on this before?
In similar circumstances, I accessed the GF lounge in T5 in the same position. Extreme politeness, understanding and a fair amount of flirting was required. However, the supervisor saw the number of TP in my account and common sense prevailed.
george77300 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I thought I’d check with you all to check who I complain to and if it’s likely to achieve anything.

The inbound leg was ridiculously expensive so I’m up the back of the plane but I thought, ah well, at least I’ll have lounge access and a half decent chance of finding luggage room for my laptop bag.

I’m still flagged as Bronze and I’ve been given a Group 3. No lounge and no priority.

BA online at the progress bar says “You’re Silver” but the background and top bar status still show Bronze, so does the app.

Check in staff when asked politely said she could only give me the priority luggage tag. She was nice but couldn’t do much and of course I was polite.

Now, technically I’ve paid for this entitlement and not received it.

Where do you think I stand with this?

Thank you for any advice

when did you get to 625 points? Have you tried logging out of the app and back in again,? If I recall it said you’ve rea he’d Gold then the following day the app had refreshed if not hope you get to use it next time.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In your position I think I would just console myself that this would probably be your final flight lounge-less and Group 3.

The lounge in LIN is worth a visit, on another trip, but due to the bus boarding at LIN you aren't missing much by being Group 3.
great points both , thank you.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

when did you get to 625 points? Have you tried logging out of the app and back in again,? If I recall it said you’ve rea he’d Gold then the following day the app had refreshed if not hope you get to use it next time.
Thank you, yes I did that but it must be central because checkin still have Bronze.

Nearly time to fly anyway, I’ll join the race for luggage space soon.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Without being too direct, you can't have spent that much money with BA (or other OW carriers) since if you had, you would be significantly higher up the status chain.

That being said, it is widely known around here that it takes BA IT a few (3-4) days post crediting the flight that takes you over a tier threshold to update your latest status. This seems to be what happens here. Yes, in a perfect world, it would be instant but we all know the state of BA's IT so that would be somewhat unrealistic.

You are in a bit of an edge case here I'm afraid, and it certainly is not worth complaining. For short haul if you are arriving with time to spare in the terminal, you are arriving too early in my opinion

It’s quite possible for someone to spend just over £1000 a week on a fully flexible Y ticket to/from Milan and only ear. 40 TP per trip so a spend of £15750 to get silver many times the cost of most Gold Card holders I suspect

I can certainly understand the OPs upset st this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The main thread on the moving tiers is here:

A brief guide to moving between Tiers in the BAEC

If you were at LHR or LGW I would show your app to the lounge agent and generally, if unofficially, they would let you in. I don't think I've seen it at LIN but it's possible the agent would be familiar with the App and make an exception. There's no point asking at check-in, since it's not their problem anyway. There may have been a case for asking for an AUP quote if the extra TPs and lounge would have been worthwhile.
Thanks for this, yes that’s kind of why I did not push the subject with ground crew at LIN. Not really their problem.

I’m just someone who sees a broken process and wants to fix it. I reckon this system delay thing is wrong but hey it’s a first world problem. 👍

mjh0 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:59 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Being direct : yes you can, as the travellers who have to commute at peak times in Y to high-fare European destinations at a few hundred pounds a time for just 20TPs will attest. @:-)
mjh0 and SaraJH like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:05 am
Original Poster

So funny, they board groups 1,2 and 3 simultaneously here so I’m on the same bus as the Gold and because I’m on last I’m nearest the door.

Oddly satisfying 😂
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Well I had a bit of a rant back in July 2005 on this board along the lines of having spent £12k to get to Silver so it is more than possible to spend shed loads of money and still be bronze ( not that bronze existed then!)

However it looks like the most substantive part of the OP’s issue is the time it takes Ba.com to upgrade the status against your account. Reality is that it takes longer than it should, but complaining will probably be even more frustrating for the OP.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.