Excuse my anxiety - dreamliner

Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by peter h
I suppose this isn't the time to point out that the 787 fuselage and wings are basically manufactured from soot?
Pencils and diamonds are both made of carbon, the crystal structure is the only difference - and what a difference it makes!
araqnid likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Thanks for that Sigmund. As I said, easy to do on the internet versus a loved one or friend.
Try it
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by fransknorge

This is a line of thought I do not think help or into which I buy. There are several airlines known for problems in their safety culture, yet their pilots are actually risking their lives, probably knowingly. Think about the macho culture in some SE Asia part (“only wussies go around”) and the lack of CRM in other places (at a major airline the FO needs the Captain authorisation to put his sunglasses).
This is true of most pilots, but I believe this argument can not be used as a blanket statement.

Which airline?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:22 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by APUBleed
Which airline?
Asiana
http://www.askthepilot.com/sfo-asiana-crash/
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:23 pm

I would not worry. The current generation of aircraft are the safest yet, with zero accidents across the 787, A350 and A380. They have teething issues, as all complex machinery does, but aircraft are at a point in development where teething issues is all they are. Anything fundamental is known about by now and addressed at the design stage.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:41 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I have every intention of living forever
Ah... now I know which disguise that vampire from A Discovery of Witches has been taking during the break
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:56 pm

I've done hundreds of trans ocean flights on 787s, I have every intention of living forever and so far it's all going very well indeed. In all seriousness, I hope you get an opportunity to fly a 787, perhaps on an overland based route, since I'm sure you'll find it a really comfortable, great air quality, smooth and enjoyable flight. The B787, A380 and A350 are the only aircraft which allow me to work 4 hours in London, 4 hours in the office in the USA on the same day and feel completely fine about it.

The Newark to London sector is of course not directly over the ocean for that much of the trip. It generally goes to the tip of Newfoundland and over from there to Ireland (depending on wind speeds and directions). So at any stage it's actually not that far from airports in Canada, Greenland, Icelend, Ireland or the UK. And despite the thousands of 787s going over the Atlantic every year, it's rare any of them need to divert, and no more so than any other aircraft.

I'm much, much more concerned about some of London's taxi drivers frankly.

I hope you get better soon, it's all too easy to get anxious when you're feeling sub par, at least you really care about your friend, that's the positive side.
100s? Wow!!!!! No wonder you are corporate wage slave!!!!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Now you know not to watch Al Jazeera, so there's a valuable lesson here.
BlueThroughCrimp and T8191 like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
I hope the OP has not shared the fears with the person who will be flying. That would make for a way over stressed passenger.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just be glad your friend is flying and not driving. Much safer that way.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:26 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
If you can find a plane that has not been involved in a crash, fly on it.....oh wait...that's the dreamliner. Everyting else has had crashes,
By "everything else has had crashes" you meant "except for the 787, A350, A380, and the 717"?

I've got a feeling that Boeing will have screwed up the composites in at least the early builds - they were pushing too many limits on too many fronts for them to have not got it wrong somewhere. The batteries were an early example of that IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if we start to see them having problems with the composites breaking up or cracking 10-15 years into service.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:10 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by EricH
Now you know not to watch Al Jazeera, so there's a valuable lesson here.
Yeah, stick to Fox News for impartiality ^
T8191 and dougzz like this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:11 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

She was gripping on to the arm rests with every bump in sheer terror, her face had fear all over it, and alternately sobbing and laughing.
You could be describing me there.... apart from the sobbing (I just grit my teeth and squeeze my eyes shut).
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:16 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
By "everything else has had crashes" you meant "except for the 787, A350, A380, and the 717"?

I've got a feeling that Boeing will have screwed up the composites in at least the early builds - they were pushing too many limits on too many fronts for them to have not got it wrong somewhere. The batteries were an early example of that IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if we start to see them having problems with the composites breaking up or cracking 10-15 years into service.
You have a feeling? Can I just clarify if you have any evidence on which to base this allegation? Or can you gut look at an aircraft and tell you the quality of the components?

My money though is a fault on the Flanage on the port side developing a fault

krispy84 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Thank you to all the kind reassuring words. I, indeed, did not tell my friend of my fears. Im quite an anxious flyer anyway (one flight from PHL - LHR, we had the worst turbulence i have ever experienced and i was sobbing and gripping like that woman).

I love this forum and despite not flying as much as you guys on BA, i take a lot of flights and your knowledge has been so so valuable so i appreciate you being kind and patient with me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.