FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   A very British ?(or maybe English) gripe (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1952709-very-british-maybe-english-gripe.html)

bhbloke Jan 24, 2019 6:48 am

A very British ?(or maybe English) gripe

Is it me, or is the tea on SH services getting served almost cold recently?

Last few flights (one domestic, one Euro) in CE I've had a cuppa and it's been bordering on cold.

I'm mightily miffed, indeed almost peeved.

Horatio Jan 24, 2019 7:02 am

Cold and also awful

corporate-wage-slave Jan 24, 2019 7:02 am

English in the sense of griping on the interweb about it rather than asking the purser to make a fresh pot?

It is tricky keeping tea hot since particularly at this time of year the mugs are freezing cold and once airborne the water can't get anywhere near 100c. A good purser will of course warm the mug first from the hot water supply before serving.

Ancient Observer Jan 24, 2019 7:09 am

When you say "warm the mug", is the mug the customer or the large cup?

:)

User Name Jan 24, 2019 7:11 am

Maybe just ask for a glass of champagne and a tea bag?

bhbloke Jan 24, 2019 7:23 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 30694465)
English in the sense of griping on the interweb about it rather than asking the purser to make a fresh pot?

I normally drink a cuppa at the end of the service, so if I complain and ask them to make a new pot we'll be wheels down by the time I get it.

EJetter Jan 24, 2019 8:23 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 30694465)

It is tricky keeping tea hot since particularly at this time of year the mugs are freezing cold and once airborne the water can't get anywhere near 100c. A good purser will of course warm the mug first from the hot water supply before serving.

Additionally the fresh pots are loaded from the refrigerated catering truck so are also freezing cold so it helps if hot water is put into the pots during boarding.

Worcester Jan 24, 2019 8:29 am

Reminds me of the complaint by Winston Churchill

“Dinner would have been splendid...if the wine had been as cold as the soup, the beef as rare as the service, the brandy as old as the fish,

subject2load Jan 24, 2019 8:51 am

@ Worcester - nice one, another gem from WC !

Do you happen to know which sector the great man had just flown when making those characteristically sardonic comments ..... ?

MFCC Jan 24, 2019 8:52 am

One of the few good things about the NEOs is that the water heats to a higher temperature than the CEOs, so I can have a nice hot cuppa before beginning the war on hand luggage.

Waterhorse Jan 24, 2019 9:09 am

It’s a French machine and the French have never understood tea; they have no need to with so many other fine home grown beverage options.

ilcannone Jan 24, 2019 11:31 am

Definitely not an ENGLISH thing but rather a BRITISH thing.

navylad Jan 24, 2019 11:52 am

Perhaps you could knit some tea cosies for them

T8191 Jan 24, 2019 12:00 pm

I appreciate that BA crews are constrained by the equipment they are given to work with, but there are, as noted, well-known perpetual failure modes:

Frozen Cutlery
Tepid White Wine
Cold RED Wine ... why can’t the swap where they stow the wine bottles?

I don’t drink Tea, and the Coffee is fairly awful, so I defer to those with a different addiction! :)

Greenpen Jan 24, 2019 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Waterhorse (Post 30695014)
It’s a French machine and the French have never understood tea; they have no need to with so many other fine home grown beverage options.

I agree entirely. Even at a better French establishment if you order tea you run the risk of getting a teapot full of hot frothy milk, a cup full of hot water and a tea bag. If you are particularly lucky the tea bag may already be brewing in the frothy milk.

Whilst not for a lingering drink, I find the temperature of hot tea or coffee fine when served on an aeroplane even when dispensed from a plastic jug.