Wiki Posts
Search

A very British ?(or maybe English) gripe

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
A very British ?(or maybe English) gripe

Is it me, or is the tea on SH services getting served almost cold recently?

Last few flights (one domestic, one Euro) in CE I've had a cuppa and it's been bordering on cold.

I'm mightily miffed, indeed almost peeved.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Cold and also awful
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
English in the sense of griping on the interweb about it rather than asking the purser to make a fresh pot?

It is tricky keeping tea hot since particularly at this time of year the mugs are freezing cold and once airborne the water can't get anywhere near 100c. A good purser will of course warm the mug first from the hot water supply before serving.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
When you say "warm the mug", is the mug the customer or the large cup?

Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Maybe just ask for a glass of champagne and a tea bag?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
English in the sense of griping on the interweb about it rather than asking the purser to make a fresh pot?
I normally drink a cuppa at the end of the service, so if I complain and ask them to make a new pot we'll be wheels down by the time I get it.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

It is tricky keeping tea hot since particularly at this time of year the mugs are freezing cold and once airborne the water can't get anywhere near 100c. A good purser will of course warm the mug first from the hot water supply before serving.
Additionally the fresh pots are loaded from the refrigerated catering truck so are also freezing cold so it helps if hot water is put into the pots during boarding.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Reminds me of the complaint by Winston Churchill

“Dinner would have been splendid...if the wine had been as cold as the soup, the beef as rare as the service, the brandy as old as the fish,

Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ Worcester - nice one, another gem from WC !

Do you happen to know which sector the great man had just flown when making those characteristically sardonic comments ..... ?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:52 am

One of the few good things about the NEOs is that the water heats to a higher temperature than the CEOs, so I can have a nice hot cuppa before beginning the war on hand luggage.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:09 am

It’s a French machine and the French have never understood tea; they have no need to with so many other fine home grown beverage options.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Definitely not an ENGLISH thing but rather a BRITISH thing.
T8191 and HMPS like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Perhaps you could knit some tea cosies for them
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I appreciate that BA crews are constrained by the equipment they are given to work with, but there are, as noted, well-known perpetual failure modes:

Frozen Cutlery
Tepid White Wine
Cold RED Wine ... why can’t the swap where they stow the wine bottles?

I don’t drink Tea, and the Coffee is fairly awful, so I defer to those with a different addiction!
Silver Fox, Dover2Golf and HMPS like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Waterhorse
It’s a French machine and the French have never understood tea; they have no need to with so many other fine home grown beverage options.
I agree entirely. Even at a better French establishment if you order tea you run the risk of getting a teapot full of hot frothy milk, a cup full of hot water and a tea bag. If you are particularly lucky the tea bag may already be brewing in the frothy milk.

Whilst not for a lingering drink, I find the temperature of hot tea or coffee fine when served on an aeroplane even when dispensed from a plastic jug.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.