Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

More people giving in wheelies than in Groups 1, 2 and 3

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, A3

Isn't this a daft situation?
There are those of us in higher priority groups for speedy boarding and a greater number handing in their wheelies for speedier boarding. Every time there's a busy flight this happens.
Moan over!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:11 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
The only possible reason I can think of to board early is to ensure overhead space. If there are lots of people checking hand luggage at the gate there will be more overhead space available.

I don't have a huge problem with it.
Bat 21 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
It’s ok as long as the passenger actually leaves their bag. I’ve seen tags being torn off and bags being taken onboard 3 times now 😡
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

It mustn't have worked well as I only saw a fraction of the bags out side the aircraft door per the numbers of people that were in the queue. Inside every space in the overhead lockers was taken up with crew having to put some bags some distance away from the passengers.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:36 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
It’s ok as long as the passenger actually leaves their bag. I’ve seen tags being torn off and bags being taken onboard 3 times now 😡
This, IMO, is the major problem with the system.

They need to police it to make sure that those who do this WILL leave their bag to be checked in, but that is not always the case.
Just how they will police it and whether they have enough staffing level to do it is another question altogether.

Maybe having a trolley at the gate on which they leave their bag as soon as it's tagged (rather than by the aircraft door, then someone will come along to drag the trolley full of bags to the door on the aerobridge where they would take them down to the hold) would work?
Oaxaca and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Deleted
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've seen plenty of people who've gate-checked their wheelie bag and been given priority boarding then fill the overhead lockers with their smaller bags and coats, which completely defeats the whole purpose (although BA crew should be a bit more on the ball during boarding and stop people from doing this - it's pretty easy to spot with the early boarders). I really wish BA would drop the whole thing or offer a different incentive to get people to check their bags - maybe a voucher for a free tea or coffee. I also agree that there needs to be better policing to ensure that the bags actually end up in the hold.
Markie and Calchas like this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Generally, policing of hand luggage does not happen and it really needs to. If you are not one of the first to board, you can almost be certain there is no chance of having your bag anywhere near your seat, even in Club – be that because people put more bags up there than they should (I saw a person putting two metal cases, both of which were at least the maximum size for each category, into the overhead) or because people near the back of the plane put their bags over the Club seats…
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by cosmo74
I've seen plenty of people who've gate-checked their wheelie bag and been given priority boarding then fill the overhead lockers with their smaller bags and coats, which completely defeats the whole purpose (although BA crew should be a bit more on the ball during boarding and stop people from doing this - it's pretty easy to spot with the early boarders). I really wish BA would drop the whole thing or offer a different incentive to get people to check their bags - maybe a voucher for a free tea or coffee. I also agree that there needs to be better policing to ensure that the bags actually end up in the hold.
Get rid of HBO and/or drastically reduce the size of bags allowed on board, with the measuring cage used to enforce. Larger bags allowed by class/status.
the810 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:42 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
I had hoped the new aircraft would have more storage overhead so this problem could disappear but I don’t think that ever happened.

And while there is zero leg room, i resent having to put my smallish bag under the seat infront, losing any legroom i had just because someone else hasn’t put their bag in the hold. I do it all the same but i don’t like doing it .
Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:45 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Watched someone do this exact thing yesterday on my LHR-GLA.

S
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by email2markt
I had hoped the new aircraft would have more storage overhead so this problem could disappear but I don’t think that ever happened.

And while there is zero leg room, i resent having to put my smallish bag under the seat infront, losing any legroom i had just because someone else hasn’t put their bag in the hold. I do it all the same but i don’t like doing it .
Do Airbus have a pivot-bin option these days? I've been on a newer AS flight with them [739] and it made a huge difference to the number of bags that could get on.
email2markt likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
I think that the rule should be........ Check in the bag to get priority boarding in group 3. So group 1 go then 2 then they join the "back" of group 3. From LHR it is getting ridiculous; typically on the evening flights to GLA there are about 20-30 people checking in bags, then you go on board and there are large cabin bags in the overhead.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 8:14 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
The other thing I have seen - particular to LCY - is families where one person gives in one bag and everyone gets early boarding in advance of Golds. Of course at that point they are pretty much filling the bins around their seats
Old Jan 27, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
I think that the rule should be........ Check in the bag to get priority boarding in group 3. So group 1 go then 2 then they join the "back" of group 3. From LHR it is getting ridiculous; typically on the evening flights to GLA there are about 20-30 people checking in bags, then you go on board and there are large cabin bags in the overhead.
i would suggest that they move forward by one group as an alternative, so if they are group 5, they move to group 4, if group 3 they move to 2 etc.

Alternatively or in addition, HBO could be renamed CBO (Cabin baggage only) and it include the option to either take on board a piece of cabin luggage or check it.

Or yet again, just do the first 90 bags on and the rest checked like other low cost carriers.

I can understand the fristration of those those who have paid for (in one way or another) a ticket with priority boarding which includes hold luggage, so they don’t have hand luggage and get gussumpted by someone on the cheapest ticket who then get even higher priority boarding

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.