FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Positioning to INV by air from MAN (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1952698-positioning-inv-air-man.html)

Tiger_lily Jan 24, 2019 4:20 am

Positioning to INV by air from MAN

Quick question for those in the know...

Can I redeem via the Loganair flight MAN-INV or is a redemption only possible via LHR?

For what it’s worth, since a ticket on the Loganair flight is about £50 for a one way, might just bite the bullet and pay for the direct flight rather than schlep through LHR with the ski gear and risk losing it on the way.

Silver Fox Jan 24, 2019 4:24 am

For the sake of £50, that will be the best £50 you have spent to avoid LHR with ski gear! And just in general ! :)

Tiger_lily Jan 24, 2019 4:30 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox (Post 30694071)
For the sake of £50, that will be the best £50 you have spent to avoid LHR with ski gear! And just in general ! :)

Very true!! 🤣

Any good tips for overnight hotels? And given the amount of gear, should I hire a car at the airport to get us and the gear to the hotel? We’ll need a minibus taxi otherwise.

rossmacd Jan 24, 2019 4:33 am

£50?! Just go direct and avoid the faff...... :)

I am assuming you are positioning to save in APD on a premium itinerary, so it is just a little less of a saving if that makes sense.

Airprox Jan 24, 2019 4:35 am

Bear in mind that the amount of ski gear you can fit in an E135 is very limited indeed, and ski stuff is loaded only if there is space after all the other luggage. It is not guaranteed to be carried on the same flight as you and may travel on a later flight the same day or later days!

Tiger_lily Jan 24, 2019 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Airprox (Post 30694091)
Bear in mind that the amount of ski gear you can fit in an E135 is very limited indeed, and ski stuff is loaded only if there is space after all the other luggage. It is not guaranteed to be carried on the same flight as you and may travel on a later flight the same day or later days!

I had considered that, although I suspect that on an afternoon flight in the mid-week, luggage space will be OK.
I’ll give it some thought. The other option is to drive up or just fly up from London and leave the bags in left luggage at LHR overnight and collect them on the way back.

BrianDromey Jan 24, 2019 5:14 am

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily (Post 30694113)

I had considered that, although I suspect that on an afternoon flight in the mid-week, luggage space will be OK.
I’ll give it some thought. The other option is to drive up or just fly up from London and leave the bags in left luggage at LHR overnight and collect them on the way back.

I'd leave them at LHR myself. Having dragged Skis around various airports, it's never pleasant. Packing them in the car, driving to MAN, flying to INV (with or without your skis), recalling them, putting them in a big Taxi and then rechecking them the following day sounds unpleasant. If you are building in an overnight anyway, why take the risk that your Skis are in Inverness while you are on your holiday? As separate itineraries I wouldn't count on being reunited with them before getting back.

FEMW Jan 24, 2019 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Airprox (Post 30694091)

I remember seeing my ski bag sitting outside the aircraft in Amsterdam en route to Innsbruck. I thought 'great - skis are going on board'. Got to INN only to find the skis were still in AMS. It was a really small aircraft, Tyrolean-operated, had something like 50 seats max!