Wiki Posts
Search

BA Ops to INN

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
BA Ops to INN

Quick question for those in the know. I have just flown a LGW to Innsbruck return which is my first time into INN on BA. On both the outbound and inbound flight there were three cockpit crew. It was two FO's on the return but cannot remember if it was two FO's or two Captains on the outbound- however it was definitely three on both flights.

I can't recall having previously seen a three man crew on a BA short haul flight so my immediate thought is that this is something to do with the difficult approach into INN, but of course there may be other explanations. Is this a BA SOP for that sector? Any insight gratefully received.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
Quick question for those in the know. I have just flown a LGW to Innsbruck return which is my first time into INN on BA. On both the outbound and inbound flight there were three cockpit crew. It was two FO's on the return but cannot remember if it was two FO's or two Captains on the outbound- however it was definitely three on both flights.

I can't recall having previously seen a three man crew on a BA short haul flight so my immediate thought is that this is something to do with the difficult approach into INN, but of course there may be other explanations. Is this a BA SOP for that sector? Any insight gratefully received.
BA has a huge training program underway this year. I presume what you saw was part of this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Intriguing! With regards to the difficult approach, my understanding was, familiarisation can be completed on the simulator!

Last edited by TedToToe; Jan 24, 2019 at 2:16 am
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur

Innsbruck is a difficult and demanding airport especially in poor weather. It requires special training to be undertaken in the simulator before being qualified to fly there (at least for BA flight crew). BA always add a third pilot to monitor and keep an eye on the big picture for safety on the INN flights. It was probably more important in days gone by with aircraft with poorer nav equipment but BA feel the added safety given by an additional pilot is warranted.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:55 pm

3 pilots is standard on an Innsbruck flight due to the complexity of the approach, go around and departure. Both the FO and the Captain need to have done a simulator detail and the Captain must’ve done a visit with a training captain sitting in the right hand seat.

Normally an extra FO is rostered but due to shortages in the right hand seat last year some captains were being used.

If, at the last minute, the 3rd pilot isn’t available then the Captain can decide on the day whether to go with just the usual 2 crew - depending on the conditions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.