Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA first to New york

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Louise84

Thank you, that helps. If there isn’t much different I think I’d rather JFK just because I’m used to it, and think it would be best to get to Lotte New York palace in midtown.
The Lotte is Midtown East so EWR means you have to traverse the bottleneck of going crosstown or take some elongated routings. JFK should be slightly more convenient. I also think the immigration at T7 is a bit better since CX left, but I am sure this varies widely.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: BAEC
Whilst I have never travelled F (god forbid I admit that on FT) I would always recommend the 747 Super hi J to JFK as per @KARFA great advice.

JFK being the signature route for BA therefore tend to get the refurbed 86 seat Club World (AKA Super Hi J) version. WTP is the cabin to identify this version, so if WTP is row 33-36 then you are in for a decent flight as the IFE is fantastic. If your on a 747 version with WiFi then that for me is a great bonus, albeit a tad expensive.

I’ll throw in a “shooting star” and mention that there’s talk of 4 x A350 brand new aircraft and a whole new business class seat by Christmas! Now these won’t have an F cabin and we don’t know if they will be on the NYC route but many things can change between now and December! As I said it’s a complete unknown.

If you decide on a 747 Super hi J then I doubt you’ll be disappointed. The new F lounge at JFK should also be much quieter than the current reports as the new business lounge will be fully open by then too

Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I was in F to JFK and back about a week ago - in a 747 both ways. Both flights had the latest In Flight Entertainment (IFE), both had wifi - there is no "Old" First Class on any BA plane any more - I'm not sure where the OP got the impression that there is still an old F anywhere on the fleet.

I'd much rather travel F on a 747 than on a 777 as there is no galley at the front of a 747 so there is no foot traffic through the front of the F cabin other than the flight crew. To the OP - if you can get row 2 on a 747, then there really isn't much better on the BA fleet other than F in a 787.

I understand that the OP will have hit the 5 posts on day 1 limit but I hope that mine is useful advice
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite, HH Diamond
Don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm flying F on 30 March on the 115 and my 747 got swapped with a 777 I got a notification few weeks ago in MMB, is this just BA IT being BA IT or are these routes not always served by a 747 (mid or high J)

Also, my best experience in BA so far has been on a mixed crew (syd to sin) in J. Extremely polite and very proactive even though one passenger was giving out about not getting a "pre landing beverage" (I'm sorry what?)

Whereas the A380 from sin which is supposed to have a WW crew was a bit of a let down (glasses not collected, dinner plates not collected etc, I was burried in a CW window on the UD tho)

I want to give the WW crew another chance, so even if it's a 777 I'm guessing JFK is always WW?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:02 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by W213Sal
Don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm flying F on 30 March on the 115 and my 747 got swapped with a 777 I got a notification few weeks ago in MMB, is this just BA IT being BA IT or are these routes not always served by a 747 (mid or high J)

Also, my best experience in BA so far has been on a mixed crew (syd to sin) in J. Extremely polite and very proactive even though one passenger was giving out about not getting a "pre landing beverage" (I'm sorry what?)

Whereas the A380 from sin which is supposed to have a WW crew was a bit of a let down (glasses not collected, dinner plates not collected etc, I was burried in a CW window on the UD tho)

I want to give the WW crew another chance, so even if it's a 777 I'm guessing JFK is always WW?
JFK is WW crew only.

Your flight is showing as a 777. It could possibly change back but probably won't now. JFK isn't usually 747 only, typically of the 7/8 BA flights a day something like 3/4 are usually 747s. It is a result of there being fewer 747s now that more of those flights will shift to other types.
W213Sal likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by W213Sal

JFK can be served by 777s as well as 747s. I much prefer the 747 (as noted above) in both F and J. AFAIK, JFK is always WW crew and I had a stellar crew in both directions in the last week or so.
W213Sal likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
- I'm not sure where the OP got the impression that there is still an old F anywhere on the fleet.
)
I refer the honourable member the the comment the OP made earlier

Originally Posted by Louise84
I have checked seat guru ..
ThatT1Feeling and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:47 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Don't select a flight now for December based on aircraft type. They'll do the winter schedule shake-down in July which often changes things and leads to inevitable disappointment and posts of surprise here
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by A P Yu
Don't select a flight now for December based on aircraft type. They'll do the winter schedule shake-down in July which often changes things and leads to inevitable disappointment and posts of surprise here
the current sale may possibly be in the thoughts of the OP.

waiting until July will likely not result in the same fares and disappointment greater than not being on the supposed ‘right’ plane type.

OP chose th flight that best suits your plans when you get to JFK (or is better for gettin to LHR on Boxing Day) rather than on a type of plane,
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:16 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I'd much rather travel F on a 747 than on a 777 as there is no galley at the front of a 747 so there is no foot traffic through the front of the F cabin other than the flight crew.
Flight crew foot traffic for in-flight radome repairs only, presumably? :-)

Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Thomathy

Flight crew foot traffic for in-flight radome repairs only, presumably? :-)

Ha! Whoops - maybe I meant cabin crew

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.