JNB-CPT-DOH - BA/QR - Transfer

Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
JNB-CPT-DOH - BA/QR - Transfer

Hello,

Flying BA aka Comair from JNB to CPT. 1 hour 5 minute connection to QR international flight CPT-DOH.

Connection time is legal.

Can anyone tell me if there is a international connections pathway or would I need to exit ground side?

Thank you.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I have only departed from CPT (not made a transit) but from my experience you need to clear security check and immigration to enter the international part of the terminal - I don't think there is any short cut, i.e. a transit security and immigration. However, it is the same terminal so not going to be time consuming to exit the arrival zone and proceed to upstairs to clear security checks. What may be an issue is the waiting time for ZA exit immigration. Is this a late afternoon/early evening QR flight to DOH? - in the affirmative, I would expect long lines for exit immigration as several flights to Europe depart at more or less the same time. It can easily take 30 min to pass immigration at that time - this was my experience in December when departing on TK to IST.

Last edited by SK AAR; Jan 22, 2019 at 9:35 am
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
The QR flight is at 1240. It is the only QR flight on that day.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
OK - then I doubt you will experience any lines at exit immigration. CPT airport is rather small and easy to navigate so you should be fine with 1:05 transit time (assuming that your incoming flight is on time).
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
There's an Emirates flight that goes out not long after that Qatar flight so it's not that quiet at that time ( also they may have less staff on ) , I have definitely had some queueing when catching the Qatar flight from Cape Town ( though nothing like 30 minutes ) .. I've never done Domestic - International connection at CPT so not sure if there's a route that avoids going landside .. but even if there is you'll still have the same issue with the Exit Immigration checkpoint being the constraint ... 1 hour 5 is doable, but little or no margin for error .. BA/Comair have earlier flights JNB-CPT I would take one of them if you want to do this route

Also be sure that Qatar will allow you to fully check in online departing from CPT .. I can't recall if they do or if it's one of the destinations where you can check in online but you still have to go to the desk to get your actual boarding pass .. 1h5 seems way too little for that
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
My few EXIT immigration experiences have varied between <5 and 15 minutes ... but that’s around 16:00.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
I do not recall seeing any airside connection at CPT. As it is a permitted connection it should be possible if the inbound is on time. Since it is the only QR flight of the day I would not be comfortable with a 65 minute connection. An earlier flight from JNB would be my choice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.