Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How would YOU improve T5 - radical ideas to reboot BA’s “home”

How would YOU improve T5 - radical ideas to reboot BA’s “home”

Old Jul 8, 2023, 3:15 pm
  #181  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Posts: 1,069
Four and a half years on, and with the post pandemic travel sugar rush fading, I’d be fascinated to know how regulars’ thoughts have changed.

My own view remains that the S lounges need huge improvements, with GF in particular needing an increased footprint and overall a much more sensible and intelligent allocation of space…..
HFHFFlyer is offline  
Old Jul 8, 2023, 3:49 pm
  #182  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Brighton UK
Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Posts: 955
Does anyone know what's going in the old spa area? I asked the shower ladies positing that it's probably not a new spa but they were clueless as to what was "arriving soon" ( allegedly).

Having used E-Gates at TIA on Friday and have passed through in mere seconds I'm refreshed in my desire to see those at T5 ( tbh most UK airports) burnt with those responsible for design, procurement and implementation placed atop so as to serve as a warning to those looking to step into their shoes.

Whilst making clear that having, legally speaking, left the EU I have no problem if individual member states want to choose to push Brits through the 'other' lanes or queues but it might be nice if our own lot did the same. I'll happily wait my turn wherever I arrive but if a country opts to take that approach towards UK travellers I don't see why I should stand in a queue of 400 upon return when reciprocity should see those who, legitimately as it may be, took an exclusionary approach towards the Brits waiting in the matching line as I pass through sans Disney Queue.

As with others the use of the lounge space hasn't kept up with the times, even factoring in the coof times. Changes in numbers, demographics and societal shifts inevitably date a location & find some factors failing to meet demand whislt others over dominate the spaces. It's a shame the, reasonably, dynamic and proactive lounge reorientations ( in space, service levels and provision) that was allowed to blossom during the maddening years has been forgotten or suppressed
SxMan likes this.
TWCLAM is offline  
Old Jul 8, 2023, 3:54 pm
  #183  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: AUS
Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Posts: 7,167
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
Four and a half years on, and with the post pandemic travel sugar rush fading, I’d be fascinated to know how regulars’ thoughts have changed.

My own view remains that the S lounges need huge improvements, with GF in particular needing an increased footprint and overall a much more sensible and intelligent allocation of space…..
Honestly, I see very little evidence that the "post pandemic travel sugar rush" is fading.

Second, yes, T5 GF lounge is just an embarrassment for a OWE/First lounge and at carriers primary hub...

Regards
scubadu is offline  
Old Jul 8, 2023, 4:02 pm
  #184  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: SAN
Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Posts: 23,738
It would be good to have scanners that don't require liquids, laptops etc to be separated. I want to drop my backpack and coat into a tray and head for the body scanner.

I know they're coming, the sooner the better.

It would also be good to have a third party lounge that wasn't the size of a broom closet.
USA_flyer is online now  
Old Jul 8, 2023, 4:08 pm
  #185  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: UK
Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Posts: 972
Originally Posted by TWCLAM

Whilst making clear that having, legally speaking, left the EU I have no problem if individual member states want to choose to push Brits through the 'other' lanes or queues but it might be nice if our own lot did the same. I'll happily wait my turn wherever I arrive but if a country opts to take that approach towards UK travellers I don't see why I should stand in a queue of 400 upon return when reciprocity should see those who, legitimately as it may be, took an exclusionary approach towards the Brits waiting in the matching line as I pass through sans Disney Queue.
This isn't allowed out of niceness, it's a necessity to stop persistently bad queues by sending every EU national to an Officer. The whole set up would fall down as there aren't enough Officers to cope, which would then knock on to any UK nationals that can't use the egates (e.g. travelling with young children).

We should be able to use the EU egates again when ETIAS comes in.

Anyway...I think some refurbishment of the lounges is in order, particularly the toilets in Gallaries North.
SxMan likes this.
Bohinjska Bistrica is online now  
Old Jul 8, 2023, 4:10 pm
  #186  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: UK
Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Posts: 972
Deleted
Bohinjska Bistrica is online now  
Old Jul 8, 2023, 4:40 pm
  #187  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 43,748
Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica
This isn't allowed out of niceness, it's a necessity to stop persistently bad queues by sending every EU national to an Officer. The whole set up would fall down as there aren't enough Officers to cope, which would then knock on to any UK nationals that can't use the egates (e.g. travelling with young children).

We should be able to use the EU egates again when ETIAS comes in.
indeed. It’s a shame that some EU countries seem less bothered about whether you are queuing on entry tho and don’t take a similarly pragmatic approach. But yes I don’t think we should be vindictive in response and stop allowing eu passport holders access to e gates.

yes it should be back to e gates and no stamps once ETIAS/EES starts, but it’s been delayed several times already so I am not holding my breadth for 2024.
KARFA is offline  
Old Jul 8, 2023, 6:27 pm
  #188  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: UK
Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Mucci
Posts: 4,658
Originally Posted by KARFA
indeed. It’s a shame that some EU countries seem less bothered about whether you are queuing on entry tho and don’t take a similarly pragmatic approach. But yes I don’t think we should be vindictive in response and stop allowing eu passport holders access to e gates.

yes it should be back to e gates and no stamps once ETIAS/EES starts, but it’s been delayed several times already so I am not holding my breadth for 2024.
Although excellent recent experiences in CDG with being able to use their e-gates. Not sure if other French airports can offer the same service yet. I am a strong believer in “do unto others that which you would wish to be done unto you” so definitely agree with having as many nationalities as feasible able to use the UK entry e-gates.

It is funny to think, though, of the experience of the average US citizen arriving in the UK compared with the converse (i.e. non-GE).
crazy8534 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.