Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How would YOU improve T5 - radical ideas to reboot BA’s “home”

How would YOU improve T5 - radical ideas to reboot BA’s “home”

Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:07 pm

The walkways are great. Properly chilled.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I absolutely hate the walk going the length of the terminal. I am forever having to dodge left and right to avoid bumping into other folks. I compare it to my experiences at Changi Airport in Singapore, where the walking areas are nice and wide and it is a pleasure to stroll along.
My suggestion would be to widen the walking area, by cutting back the retail frontages on both sides.
hsmall and Dover2Golf like this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:14 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by dagohh
Use the moving walkways in the reverse direction?
This is something I feel everyone should do once in their lifetime. Sheer idiocy but great fun.
dougzz likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:45 pm

I absolutely hate the walk going the length of the terminal. I am forever having to dodge left and right to avoid bumping into other folks. I compare it to my experiences at Changi Airport in Singapore, where the walking areas are nice and wide and it is a pleasure to stroll along.
My suggestion would be to widen the walking area, by cutting back the retail frontages on both sides.
One possible alternative would be stairs or escalators at the southern end of the mezzanine that you exit security onto.

Another would be a passageway behind the shops. I think some bits of it exist already.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by alex67500
Hell, it seems Heathrow has them in other terminals.
It most certainly does not; they would be illegal
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:29 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chrisboote
It most certainly does not; they would be illegal
I think alex67500 means the airside smoking facilities which are all outside.

Actually it is a good question, I often see indoor sealed smoking rooms at other European airports like AMS or MUC. Are they juts prohibited in the UK or is it that UK airports choose not to spend the money doing them?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:37 am

Indoor smoking areas are illegal in the UK, and (I believe) in Ireland

There are some exceptions (e.g. care homes) but very few

In Germany, this law is reserved for the individual Länder, so in Bavaria absolutely no indoor smoking is allowed, including throughout München airport, while in NordRheinWestphalia, there are open doored smoking booths on many indoor train platforms
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
In Germany, this law is reserved for the individual Länder, so in Bavaria absolutely no indoor smoking is allowed, including throughout München airport, while in NordRheinWestphalia, there are open doored smoking booths on many indoor train platforms
?

I am not imagining them https://www.munich-airport.com/smoki...lounge-3592628
alex67500 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Indoor smoking areas are illegal in the UK, and (I believe) in Ireland

There are some exceptions (e.g. care homes) but very few

I was in MUC last week and had a cigarette in the Lounge's smoking room, and also in the "Camel Smoking room" by the gate an hour later when the flight was delayed some more. It is not stricto sensu "indoor smoking" but special sealed rooms (which mostly look like large fishbowls) with massive ventilation systems to avoid contaminating other areas when the doors open / close.

Originally Posted by KARFA
I think alex67500 means the airside smoking facilities which are all outside.

Actually it is a good question, I often see indoor sealed smoking rooms at other European airports like AMS or MUC. Are they juts prohibited in the UK or is it that UK airports choose not to spend the money doing them?
​​​​​​
Exactly. The outside cage at T3 was good enough. The little area next to the buses at connections was more than enough as well. I think it's discrimination, but obviously someone at HAL has a grudge against smokers.

Of course, the ideal one is in the BSL lounge, where you smoke outside on a terrace with a 270-degree view of the apron and runway, but I'm dreaming here :-)
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:09 am
Suspended

A train running Waterloo-Vauxhall-Wimbledon-Richmond-Twickenham-Feltham, extending the line into a little of Bedfont Lakes Park into a tunnel to the two unused platforms under T5.

Clapham Junction to T5 currently takes an inconvenient, unreliable or infrequent 1 hour, often by bus which is susceptible to traffic. This could be cut to around 20-25 mins with a direct rail link which was vaguely envisioned when T5 was built.

Journeys to T5 would be more reliable, comfortable and easily sustains 3tph with drastically reduced journey times:

Waterloo: 31 mins
Vauxhall: 27 mins
Clapham Junction: 23 mins
Richmond: 14 mins
Twickenham: 10 mins
Feltham: 5 mins

Living in Clapham, journeys to Heathrow are dreadful - I’d take BA from LGW every time except for T3 CX+QF or for the CCR.

Very unlikely to happen for various reasons (Crossrail, LHR expansion potentially de-emphasising T5 etc) and the total lack of ambition and torrid state of investment in the UK - but one can hope.
adrianlondon and Dover2Golf like this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by drakepassage
A train running Waterloo-Vauxhall-Wimbledon-Richmond-Twickenham-Feltham, extending the line into a little of Bedfont Lakes Park into a tunnel to the two unused platforms under T5.

Clapham Junction to T5 currently takes an inconvenient, unreliable or infrequent 1 hour, often by bus which is susceptible to traffic. This could be cut to around 20-25 mins with a direct rail link which was vaguely envisioned when T5 was built.

Journeys to T5 would be more reliable, comfortable and easily sustains 3tph with drastically reduced journey times:

Waterloo: 31 mins
Vauxhall: 27 mins
Clapham Junction: 23 mins
Richmond: 14 mins
Twickenham: 10 mins
Feltham: 5 mins

Living in Clapham, journeys to Heathrow are dreadful - I’d take BA from LGW every time except for T3 CX+QF or for the CCR.

Very unlikely to happen for various reasons (Crossrail, LHR expansion potentially de-emphasising T5 etc) and the total lack of ambition and torrid state of investment in the UK - but one can hope.
Actually, if the Gatwick Express stopped in Clapham (can't remember if it does, I usually go the London Bridge way), it would also drastically improve links between LGW and LHR!
memesweeper likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:06 am
Suspended

Gatwick Better-Than Express trains (ie almost all other Southern trains, which are more frequent, take around 200 seconds longer to get Victoria for less money) do 😉... only 24 minutes Gatwick to Clapham Junction.

Gatwick to Heathrow could be cut to a reliable 55 minutes with one change of train, fully wheelchair and luggage accessible.
alex67500 and memesweeper like this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: BA GFL GL (Emerald), *A GOLD LH SEN; SkyTeam AF S
Agree with most of this, but it is unforgivable (all CAPS UNFORGIVABLE) that pax coming from BA and AA flights in Terminal 3 in the morning have NO FastTrack transfer. This is likely going to be much worse after Brexit as the option of going through immigration and the First Wing landslide will no longer (likely) be viable.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: BA GFL GL (Emerald), *A GOLD LH SEN; SkyTeam AF S
With BREXIT looming, fix the airside Fast Track security (to First Wing standards)

With Brexit looming many pax, when transferring in the morning from BA (T3), CX, AA flights, will no longer want to use the trick of going through immigration and then back to airside via the Gold/First Wing. Why did they do it - because there is no functional Fast Track security for transfers at T5. This needs to get fixed.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
One thing that did strike me whilst killing time in the CCR yesterday was how much space in the south lounge complex is wasted. Surely the kitchens could be moved upstairs to the GC lounge level? There is room to build up, even with the slope of the roof, without taking away any of the GC floorspace. With intelligent use of dumb waiters, a ton of terrace and internal space could be released to the CCR and GFL.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.