Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How would YOU improve T5 - radical ideas to reboot BA’s “home”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How would YOU improve T5 - radical ideas to reboot BA’s “home”

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2019, 2:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Alternatively, we await with wild anticipation on the carnage by Brexit. That in itself might have to restructure some of T5!

Liked this thread. Some interesting progressive and logical views.

Wonder if anyone from the airport management team has been reading. Could save them a brainstorm session or how about inviting members from FT to participate. There is a opportunity to seek views and challenge.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 3:40 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Having a strictly enforced Quiet Area, where talking at a level beyond whispering and any noise-making activities beyond quiet typing is banned (anyone making noise beyond that will be asked to leave immediately).

Examples of banned activities:
Slurping, on food or otherwise, or loud chewing etc.
Talking on the mobile phone
Listening to music etc. on a speaker
Mobile phone that is not on Silent/Vibrate-only
Typing loudly
Banging or tapping on things etc.
Making excessive noise with crockery/cutlery etc. or anything else for that matter
Shouting, screaming, running etc.
Talking loudly enough that it can be heard more than 8 feet away

(In fact they could have a dedicated "Quiet work area with no talking or eating permitted")
Alternatively make disposable ear plugs available 😄 though I do agree some people need to modify their behaviour.

A gym in GF, or as a separate facility (by Elemis?) would be very welcome. All this travelling and eating makes it hard to stay in any kind of shape. BA would probably save money as there would be less eating going on. Let's face it, a lot of eating in the lounges is not "necessary" in the sense that people are actually hungry. It's just passing time.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 4:41 am

Yeah, it's surprising just how few fitness areas there are in airports. Disappointing.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: QF BAEC [Gold]
Originally Posted by RG1X
Yeah, it's surprising just how few fitness areas there are in airports. Disappointing.
NO need - walk instead. As a regular user of the T5 walkways, even when departing/arriving from T5C, I usually have this fitness area to myself.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:10 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Actually that's a good shout. There seems to be plenty of space down there. You could definitely install a gym/fitness area.
corporate-wage-slave and RG1X like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by PWOZUK
NO need - walk instead. As a regular user of the T5 walkways, even when departing/arriving from T5C, I usually have this fitness area to myself.
Ha... I always do, but I'm looking for something ever so slightly more strenuous.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:39 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by chrisboote
Yeah, breaking the law for the sake of some antisocial smokers sounds like a great idea
You can have smoking rooms that don't break the law. Most European airports have them. Hell, it seems Heathrow has them in other terminals. It's only T5 and T3. I've spoken recently to a couple of Americans who were really p'd off at the need to fill in a landing card to go landside for a smoke on a 3-4 hour layover. It's not that hard. Even the old "cage" hanging out of T3 not so long ago would be enough, it doesn't have to be inside.

(as a point of comparison from last night: there is one in the lounge at MUC, and one next to the departure gate)
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by alex67500
You can have smoking rooms that don't break the law. Most European airports have them. Hell, it seems Heathrow has them in other terminals. It's only T5 and T3. I've spoken recently to a couple of Americans who were really p'd off at the need to fill in a landing card to go landside for a smoke on a 3-4 hour layover. It's not that hard. Even the old "cage" hanging out of T3 not so long ago would be enough, it doesn't have to be inside.

(as a point of comparison from last night: there is one in the lounge at MUC, and one next to the departure gate)
The law in England does not allow for smoking rooms (there are some exceptions for hotels, nursing homes etc. but not for airports).
chrisboote likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
I hate the way security screening is done in T5. Having four people standing simultaneously at the conveyor and unloading their belongings might seem faster, but it's not. First, there is always at least one person who is totally confused by the concept and ends up taking far longer than normal. This is because the system is totally unique and unlike anything else in the world. Unless you're an LHR frequent flier, it's new. Second, there is always some DYKWIA who, instead of letting everyone take a turn, will shove all of their bins onto the conveyor ahead of everyone else and mess up the system. Third, obeying the rules of the system and waiting my turn for my multiple bins means either my wallet or my laptop is through the scanner and out for public pick up long before I can get through the metal detector. I just loathe this system and feel that it is responsible for the backup in the transfer lanes, especially, for some reason, in Fast Track.
Dover2Golf and SirToby like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:52 am

I love the Doha airport with the gym and that stunning swimming pool over the airport concourse - totally bizarre but fantastic for a long transit!
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by jfallesen
The law in England does not allow for smoking rooms (there are some exceptions for hotels, nursing homes etc. but not for airports).
Well, I stand corrected about smoking rooms, but the outside cages would still work. It can't be that complicated. Why they stopped the outside area next to the airside bus transfers is beyond me.

Anyway, that's actually very high on my list of topics that would improve T5 (and Heathrow as a whole). Not top, but high.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by dcmike
I hate the way security screening is done in T5. Having four people standing simultaneously at the conveyor and unloading their belongings might seem faster, but it's not. First, there is always at least one person who is totally confused by the concept and ends up taking far longer than normal. This is because the system is totally unique and unlike anything else in the world.
No, I don't think that's proven by the evidence. I don't think LHR invented Automated Screening Lanes (sometimes Automated Security Lines, but still ASL), but they are now spreading quite fast through the USA so in the last few months they have appeared at SFO, LAX, DEN, EWR, SEA, DFW and ATL all come to mind. In the UK ASLs are now pretty much the norm, I get occasionally unpleasantly surprised to find an airport using the old "one at a time" system (hello LDY). One of the biggest factors in their success is that the trays are a lot larger than the ones used previously.

The system manufacturers claim a 30% speed improvement, and that sounds about right to me. Moreover this forum used to have a regular "T5 security takes forever" thread, never far from the top of the forum. Now I can't even find it.

There is a knack to using them efficiently, and one of the great things about The First Wing is that almost all users know how (a) how to pack their bags and (b) how to move the contents efficiently on to the trays.
BA or bust and fluffymitten like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by alex67500
Well, I stand corrected about smoking rooms, but the outside cages would still work. It can't be that complicated. Why they stopped the outside area next to the airside bus transfers is beyond me.
British Airways and Heathrow Airport works continually to improve the travel experience and to do what is best for our travellers. To promote a more healthy lifestyle, we are no longer offering airside smoking facilities in terminal 5. We are hoping to enhance your experience by removing them from the landside facility soon as well.

Similarly, we will gradually introduce improved opportunities for exercise as travelators and escalators will be switched off over time when they fail it is appropriate for each one.

As always, we are listening to our customers and introducing new services to increase the health and welfare of our valued customers.
BA or bust and toothy like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
No, I don't think that's proven by the evidence. I don't think LHR invented Automated Screening Lanes (sometimes Automated Security Lines, but still ASL), but they are now spreading quite fast through the USA so in the last few months they have appeared at SFO, LAX, DEN, EWR, SEA, DFW and ATL all come to mind. In the UK ASLs are now pretty much the norm, I get occasionally unpleasantly surprised to find an airport using the old "one at a time" system (hello LDY). One of the biggest factors in their success is that the trays are a lot larger than the ones used previously.
I am open to concede defeat, but in my experience the T5 system always seems to hold up things. I've been through LAX, DFW, and EWR in the last six months and haven't seen the systems in place there (just to be clear - not doubting your statement, just haven't experienced it myself). If more people become familiar, maybe it will be more efficient.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: BAEC "I'm blue Da ba dee da ba di", Skywards Blue, Miles & More (very passive)
Talking

Ha... I always do, but I'm looking for something ever so slightly more strenuous.
Use the moving walkways in the reverse direction?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.