Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How would YOU improve T5 - radical ideas to reboot BA’s “home”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How would YOU improve T5 - radical ideas to reboot BA’s “home”

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by ironmouse
Install some smoking areas/rooms
Yeah, breaking the law for the sake of some antisocial smokers sounds like a great idea
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:15 am

It's not coming

They've been asked to submit plans - all of which result in too many trains going over the four level crossings around Egham, and no one is willing to pay for sunken lines or road bridges, with their attendant closure of one of the busiest rail lines in Europe for months

Nine sets if plans have been submitted dating back to the '70s, and all have been rejected

It's still a pipe dream at the moment
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jrfsp320
Have BA given any further details on the lounge refurbishments at LHR? As always they take years to do anything. For their main hub airport the lounges are terrible, arguably the worst lounges at LHR.

While i realise little can be done to the hardware in the short term, at least make an effort to ensure the lounge is kept clean and the power points work. The BA lounge feel as premium as a BP wild bean cafe. I was much more impressed by the Iberia Velázquez lounge which doesnt even claim to be a First level lounge. It was impeccably clean with for a start.
To be fair the Iberia lounges in Madrid were only recently refurbished in the last 18 months. Before that, I'd say they were comparable with the BA lounges - at least furniture and fixings wise.

That being said, I do agree that the BA lounges need to have a proper refurbishment, rather than some new furniture and polished floors which has taken place in the last couple of years.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:38 am

Looks like mikejay is referring to the Underground - Departures - Arrivals - Underground lifts
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:44 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
Transitted through Amsterdam last weekend with KLM, long haul arriving E gates to UK flight departing D gates.
Transit security was quick and efficient, in part because it was separate from main security and also due not needing to remove laptop and electronics from bag for screening.

Having a dedicated security search for those transiting and not having to remove laptops etc would make a difference to the T5 experience imho.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: CO Platinum / BA Gold
A frequent shuttle bus from T5 to Ashford or Feltham station would be nice.

Should take 15 mins, actually takes about an hour by public transport. Or Ł25 quid by Uber (assuming your driver doesn't murder you for ordering one for such a short trip.)

Connecting everying to Paddington is really annoying - it is so much worse than Waterloo for onward connections.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by McG
Having a dedicated security search for those transiting and not having to remove laptops etc would make a difference to the T5 experience imho.
HAL is trailling some of AMS' baggage scanners at the moment. Unlike some other improvements suggest above, this one has a clear business case: fewer staff will be needed in security, if it is done correctly. Therefore I think we will see this implemented in the next year or two.
jfallesen likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:54 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
HAL is trailling some of AMS' baggage scanners at the moment. Unlike some other improvements suggest above, this one has a clear business case: fewer staff will be needed in security, if it is done correctly. Therefore I think we will see this implemented in the next year or two.
CWS that is good to hear. I would imagine that throughput at security would also be sped up as a result.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:56 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
I was chatting at length to a very strong critic of T5 the other day

My starters

- find a way to run more than two shuttle trains on the existing lines

- expand the footprint of GC north and turn it in to a dedicated business / silver lounge with a spa and showers, with checkin desks for J and fast track all moved to zone A

- turn GC south in to a second level for GF, with dining, showers and a gold spa

- remove the existing kitchen and spa and extend the CCR into them, including the wasted terrace space

- build a bridge and air bridges to the four aircraft stands immediately opposite the GF terrace by the south runway

- install a lift down to car service pickup direct from the GF lounge

- create a First Wing arrrivals zone with dedicated passport control, meet point and connections desk / security point

easy.
Get JAL to run it. Hardware fixes if still BA run won’t fix software (BA) incompetence
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by redrob
There's no way that conformance will ever be removed as it has led to such significant improvements in overall punctuality over the years. Among other benefits, without it, BA would have no way of knowing where in the terminal any transfer passengers were, or even IF they were in the airport at all, and so the ability to take early decisions to offload any baggage would therefore pretty much disappear...
Why is this? Virtually every major airport in the world runs just fine without conformance, what is so dysfunctional about LHR that drives the need for this system?
alex67500 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Originally Posted by McG
CWS that is good to hear. I would imagine that throughput at security would also be sped up as a result.
I wouldn't be so sure: the "everything in" scanners at AMS often seem to result in a build-up on the belt as the security people seem to spend longer peering at the screen for each item. It's a blessing not having to remove anything from bags, but it's difficult to tell if the overall throughput has actually been improved.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Credit where it's due: they added the First Wing and it works really, really well - fast, convenient and you get popped right into the lounge. There's nowhere else in the in the world that is that good to OWE/Gold flyers (LH F terminal is even better but requires HON).

What should they fix? The lounge toilets are an absolute disgrace. The standard of the toilets in the CCR is pathetic
Old Feb 1, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Why is this? Virtually every major airport in the world runs just fine without conformance, what is so dysfunctional about LHR that drives the need for this system?
there is only conformance at T5 and is supposed to help with BAs one time performance as well as letting them know where passengers are and to start, if necessary, off loading bags if the passenger hasn’t been scanned at certain points.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:26 pm

Gender neutral loos in the CCR and BA lounges. There are more male loos that female in the CCR but a they are individual cubicles why do they need to be designated. Improve them- they are disgusting- the average secondary school has nicer loos than the CCR.
Dave_C and hsmall like this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 1:54 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
Gender neutral loos in the CCR and BA lounges. There are more male loos that female in the CCR but a they are individual cubicles why do they need to be designated. Improve them- they are disgusting- the average secondary school has nicer loos than the CCR.
Yes. Gender specific individual toilets are a ridiculous and non-inclusive concept these days.
Dave_C and abligh like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.