Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How would YOU improve T5 - radical ideas to reboot BA’s “home”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How would YOU improve T5 - radical ideas to reboot BA’s “home”

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Having a strictly enforced Quiet Area, where talking at a level beyond whispering and any noise-making activities beyond quiet typing is banned (anyone making noise beyond that will be asked to leave immediately).
They have those already, but many people in this thread have wanted them replaced with urinals
TTmex likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
There are some great ideas here. From my experience, T5C could do with a lounge, the check-in desk and bag drop areas don't seem to work very well for those without status, and the bus gates need improving (I like the idea of heated walkways at the side to add some more direct access gates). Connections security needs a re-think - the ideas to let all desks be used for all destination and look at which origin airports can be 'trusted' to negate the need for screening would help. Arrivals passport control could do with more e-gates being in use at a time (especially when the eligibility is widened). A decent bookshop would be good, as would turning down the heating.

However my first preference would be to remove conformance.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by xxxxx
🤔
T5 has 12 large lifts that go from arrivals to all 4 levels of the car parks and departures level. An additional 2 go to level 1, 2 and 5.
I must be missing something because every month I’m standing there playing ‘lift-shaft roulette’ trying to pick the one thats coming next and I always seem to pick the shaft that’s not stopping on arrivals floor.

Then there’s are so many people waiting it’s hard to actually get to the next one! All the while my Uber driver is getting hacked off with me and wondering I said ‘I’m just heading to Level 3 Row R’ 10 ages ago!! Never have any issues at any of the other terminals. Mind you T3 you just have to walk out the door and your where you need to be for pickup!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by ScottEdin
A pack of wild dogs, strategically placed along the first wing, who will be summoned on command by the security personnel to tear to shreds the selfish, lazy and arrogant people who think they are too good to put their empty trays back on the stack..... Every time I go through, this seems to happen!
They must be waiting for the white gloved Tray-Butler!

I make a point to gather up the 7 empty trays abandoned infront of mine to show the hard working staff that not all First PAX are lazy! They really appreciate it!

I think Kipling said it best.... “to walk with kings nor loose the common touch! ”

pennineuk, hsmall and testycal like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:51 pm

Programs: QF
Have BA given any further details on the lounge refurbishments at LHR? As always they take years to do anything. For their main hub airport the lounges are terrible, arguably the worst lounges at LHR.

While i realise little can be done to the hardware in the short term, at least make an effort to ensure the lounge is kept clean and the power points work. The BA lounge feel as premium as a BP wild bean cafe. I was much more impressed by the Iberia Velázquez lounge which doesnt even claim to be a First level lounge. It was impeccably clean with for a start.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:14 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
How about stairs from arrivals up to the car parks, I prefer stairs to lifts and as others have said, the wait for the lifts can be interminable at busy times. I would prefer to walk.
mikeijay likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, then a handful of points on everything else.
Originally Posted by wyvern
Connections security needs a re-think - the ideas to let all desks be used for all destination and look at which origin airports can be 'trusted' to negate the need for screening would help.
Going off on a bit of a tangent, but out of curiosity how would that work? To prevent the possibility of 'tainting' trusted arrivals you'd need to segregate arrivals from the trusted origins, which potentially then means an even greater chance of gate congestion for arriving aircraft because the gates are carved up into those for trusted origins and those for untrusted origins. Or you need to have two parallel arrival paths through the terminal, one trusted and one untrusted, and set the doors appropriately for each arrival?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
How about stairs from arrivals up to the car parks, I prefer stairs to lifts and as others have said, the wait for the lifts can be interminable at busy times. I would prefer to walk.
there already are stairs if you want to use them to go up and down for the multi-storey tho? not that i have used the stairs myself
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by internetplumber
Going off on a bit of a tangent, but out of curiosity how would that work?
Not that it would ever happen, but you could keep the "trusted" flights clean by decanting all arriving passengers into the departure lounge and having an exit-only pathway to the arrivals hall/passport control for non-connecting passengers to enter the UK and proceed to baggage claim.
internetplumber likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by mikeijay

I must be missing something because every month I’m standing there playing ‘lift-shaft roulette’ trying to pick the one thats coming next and I always seem to pick the shaft that’s not stopping on arrivals floor.
Clearly.

Red zone has stairs on the left and 2x lifts on the right stopping at all floors.
Orange zone has 2x lifts on the left and 2x on the right both stopping at all floors.
Green zone has 2x lifts on the left and 2x on the right both stopping at all floors.
Purple zone has 2x on the left stopping at all floors. The two on the right stop at 0, 1 for Sofitel, 2 for pod parking and 5 for departures.

I would use red, purple, orange, green in that order going from least to most busy.

Hope this helps you get to where you’re going more efficiently in future.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Extend the tunnel to T3 and replace the train with some of those high speed travelators that they have in Toronto Pearson.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by V800
Extend the tunnel to T3 and replace the train with some of those high speed travelators that they have in Toronto Pearson.
they have travelators in the tunnel (-4 not -2) but they are not the YYZ speed ones
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by wyvern
However my first preference would be to remove conformance.
There's no way that conformance will ever be removed as it has led to such significant improvements in overall punctuality over the years. Among other benefits, without it, BA would have no way of knowing where in the terminal any transfer passengers were, or even IF they were in the airport at all, and so the ability to take early decisions to offload any baggage would therefore pretty much disappear...
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by redrob
There's no way that conformance will ever be removed … without it, BA would have no way of knowing where in the terminal any transfer passengers were, or even IF they were in the airport at all…
While I don't mind conformance personally, they could still require scanning in at entry to security, they just turn off the time limit yet keep the same 'locating' function.
wyvern likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Overall, I think we have seen improvements in T5 over the last decade which are very welcome.

id agree with those who’ve suggested the completion of the toast rack, I guess investment is on hold pending the ongoing saga over the 3rd runway

continue the investment in technology, use of AI in security screening, virtual personal shopping via an app etc.

Whilst id agree that the CCR could be improved, this really doesn’t bother me personally, although utilising the space to increase the spa or increase the number of cabanas would be an advantage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.