Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How would YOU improve T5 - radical ideas to reboot BA’s “home”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How would YOU improve T5 - radical ideas to reboot BA’s “home”

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:06 am

Programs: AVIS presidents club, BA GGL, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
I was chatting at length to a very strong critic of T5 the other day

My starters

- find a way to run more than two shuttle trains on the existing lines

- expand the footprint of GC north and turn it in to a dedicated business / silver lounge with a spa and showers, with checkin desks for J and fast track all moved to zone A

- turn GC south in to a second level for GF, with dining, showers and a gold spa

- remove the existing kitchen and spa and extend the CCR into them, including the wasted terrace space

- build a bridge and air bridges to the four aircraft stands immediately opposite the GF terrace by the south runway

- install a lift down to car service pickup direct from the GF lounge

- create a First Wing arrrivals zone with dedicated passport control, meet point and connections desk / security point

There are some great ideas there.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 5:09 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
T5 seems to be the only airport terminal where a plane arriving early/ontime/late seems to be a surprise to the person driving the airbridge. More staff to operate the airbridges when a plane arrives would probably help.
redpalmetto likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Install an auction room in the centre of the terminal where seats available for upgrade are auctioned off to the highest bidder while Tim Wonnacott provides live commentary and analysis.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
Or alternatively study how Changi does it? Or even hire Changi to come in over and show them how it's done?
Please, no! Not the terrible Changi carpets that are a pain both for my eyes as well as for my wheelie bag.
clearedforlanding likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:50 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by 13900
The reasons why gates aren't allocated earlier are quite simple: On average a gate is engaged by a new plane every 45-60 minutes, and for long haul gates the number goes up to 120 or so, but it's still a relatively short time. When you have such high turnover on a gate, then it's frequent to have gate changes, because the gate you had might now be still occupied by a late departing aircraft, or sometimes you had a gate but now it must be used for a domestic departure, and your plane's next leg isn't... I've got no data but my own experience and I've personally seen the gate for an inbound flight from TLS changing 4 times in the time it took for the plane to do its last half hour of flying. When you have such a high turnaround it gets hard to pinpoint gates without a risk of having multiple changes.
That's really no excuse. The US airports have exactly the same system. A new flight every 45-60 minutes. And you can see on the departures board what flights will be leaving from that gate 4 hours ahead. At the gate itself, you will often find "Next flight from this gate [i.e. after the one you're waiting there for] will be Flight XXX destination Xxxxxxxx." And yes, they do have to change gates for operational reasons from time to time, but in the course of a day the vast majority of the pre-programmed arrivals and departures will take place as scheduled.

I say again, it's sheer laziness on the part of BA's schedulers. They simply can't be bothered to plan ahead. Much easier to do it on the fly, but much less convenient for the pax. It's the same thing at Gatwick.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:17 am

A pack of wild dogs, strategically placed along the first wing, who will be summoned on command by the security personnel to tear to shreds the selfish, lazy and arrogant people who think they are too good to put their empty trays back on the stack..... Every time I go through, this seems to happen!
pennineuk, mrow, Gerbs and 7 others like this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by 1P
I say again, it's sheer laziness on the part of BA's schedulers. They simply can't be bothered to plan ahead. Much easier to do it on the fly, but much less convenient for the pax. It's the same thing at Gatwick.
You really think that an airport can run with stands being allocated “on the fly”???

Stands show in the system at least 48 hours in advance!!!! They frequently change to BA’s requirements and as necessary due to delays of outbound and inbound flights.
redrob likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by pacenotes
A lift or stairs from the Dub gates straight down to baggage instead of the walk to the middle of T5 and then the walk all the way back if you checked in a bag.
No. Let's make it difficult until the Irish do what they should do under the CTA and allow incoming passengers from the UK to bypass passport control
mrow, tigertanaka, :D! and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 1P
That's really no excuse. The US airports have exactly the same system. A new flight every 45-60 minutes. And you can see on the departures board what flights will be leaving from that gate 4 hours ahead. At the gate itself, you will often find "Next flight from this gate [i.e. after the one you're waiting there for] will be Flight XXX destination Xxxxxxxx." And yes, they do have to change gates for operational reasons from time to time, but in the course of a day the vast majority of the pre-programmed arrivals and departures will take place as scheduled.

Yes you are absolutely right.

When a BA flight approach LHR the captain already knew which gate he is going and what is the next flight from Dispatchers. So that is at least 30 minutes before landing, the said aircraft knows which gate to park and what is the next destination. The turn around time is between 50 mins to more (So let us call it 1 hour), so that is one and half hours in advance from a flight that Heathrow airport and BA knows exactly which gate it will be.

There is no excuse that BA can not display gate information much earlier.
chrisboote likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by xxxxx

You really think that an airport can run with stands being allocated “on the fly”???

Stands show in the system at least 48 hours in advance!!!! They frequently change to BA’s requirements and as necessary due to delays of outbound and inbound flights.
You might be right about this. But the changes are not that frequent within 6 hours of a flight departure. I use flightstats frequently and I can see gate changes for a particular flight all the time. However, within 6 hours of a flight the gate information seems to be very stable and the change is RARE. So there is room for BA and Heathrow Airport to improve. BA and Heathrow Airport has large quantity of gate data and I am sure they can display the gate information much earlier. We are not talking about one day in advance, but merely 2 hours before a flight, which is surely manageable.

Plus, I often was told the gate information when checking into a lounge, at least 30-45 minutes before the information available on the screen, and never once that information was wrong although the lounge attendants always say that it is subject to change.
chrisboote likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

My suggestions;

Better walkway in the main T5A ( the walkway is too narrow for the number of passegers and it seems it is squeezed between shops)
More regular transits from T5A to B, C ( and extend it to T3)

Regards

TBS
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Abolish conformance
FlyerTalker688786 and Gerbs like this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by DeathSlam
For those with hand baggage a paternoster might be more convenient.
Now that is an excellent idea. As an added bonus, if designed to the correct dimensions, it might solve the problem of oversized hand baggage too by squishing it down!
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by hsmall
No. Let's make it difficult until the Irish do what they should do under the CTA and allow incoming passengers from the UK to bypass passport control
Errr, but what about non-UK/Irish nationals who aren’t subject to free movement under the CTA. You don’t have to show a British passport at Irish immigration if you can prove otherwise that you are British, coming from CTA and subject to CTA freedom of movement e.g a driving license will do. FWIW domestic arrivals in Ireland also have to go through immigration.....
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Too much travel
Please, no! Not the terrible Changi carpets that are a pain both for my eyes as well as for my wheelie bag.

HAHAHAHAHA ... I second the problems with the carpet, but if that is really the only problem you have ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.