Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How would YOU improve T5 - radical ideas to reboot BA’s “home”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How would YOU improve T5 - radical ideas to reboot BA’s “home”

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Have a real "fast track" transit security
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
  • Gate information earlier.
  • Lest torturous route from South premium security to the South lounges
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
I understand that the gates being displayed late are largely down to keeping people in the "shopping centre", after all I would guess that the rents for those units are massive and HAL justifies this by keeping the captives near by. However I don't see why on entering the lounges you couldn't be advised that another lounge is closer and/or have the gates displayed early in the lounge themselves. After all once you are in the lounge your unlikely to go out and spend money on food or "stuff".
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Akoz
I understand that the gates being displayed late are largely down to keeping people in the "shopping centre", after all I would guess that the rents for those units are massive and HAL justifies this by keeping the captives near by. However I don't see why on entering the lounges you couldn't be advised that another lounge is closer and/or have the gates displayed early in the lounge themselves. After all once you are in the lounge your unlikely to go out and spend money on food or "stuff".
This is a misnomer, for a simple reason.

HAL does not do gate allocation in T5, it's done by BA. BA doesn't get a Ł from the shops, so it's not in BA's interest to keep passengers in T5A's shops.

The reasons why gates aren't allocated earlier are quite simple: On average a gate is engaged by a new plane every 45-60 minutes, and for long haul gates the number goes up to 120 or so, but it's still a relatively short time. When you have such high turnover on a gate, then it's frequent to have gate changes, because the gate you had might now be still occupied by a late departing aircraft, or sometimes you had a gate but now it must be used for a domestic departure, and your plane's next leg isn't... I've got no data but my own experience and I've personally seen the gate for an inbound flight from TLS changing 4 times in the time it took for the plane to do its last half hour of flying. When you have such a high turnaround it gets hard to pinpoint gates without a risk of having multiple changes.

In addition to this, it's also worth remember that T5 was designed with this concept of "flowing forward", from security into T5A into B into C. Another concept is, to quote from the Ghostbusters, a separation of fluxes. You do T5A-B-C when you depart, C-B-A when you arrive, and the two fluxes shall never cross. There's the walkway, granted, but an aircraft change B-A or C-B is a pain in the proverbial.

This doesn't mean it shouldn't improve and I don't want to minimise the discomfort of having to go from satellite to satellite in a short time, but I just wanted to dispel the 'shops' myth.

All the above is my opinion and experience and does not reflect BA's position.
Heathrow Tower and redrob like this.

Last edited by 13901; Jan 22, 2019 at 10:10 pm
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by flatlander
I would improve the environmental controls so that the interior of the entire terminal is at a comfortable temperature, instead of always too hot.
YES YES YES!!!!

I am always a sweaty mess in Heathrow. It is way overheated.
scolbath, rjn21, pacenotes and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by jdsworld
Agreed, I'm a frequent user of T2 as my parents live in Cork, needs a Pret at least. So many times I've left work, arrived at T2 starving but felt meh by the food options (I don't have EI status).

Thankfully EI always use the A gates to I'm spared the walk - the Irish media has always said EI was given a good spot in the new T2 to make up for the many years of the long walk needed to reach the Irish gates in the old T1.
EI have this spot in T2 for the same reason as DUB flights come into the analogous spot on T5: Irish arrivals don’t need immigration but do need customs and rescreening of connections. Being on the side of the terminal allows for an immigration bypass for arriving passengers direct into the main baggage hall while allowing connections to be rescreened in the main connections stream. It also allows access to the domestic reclaim for passengers from BHD (not sure if there’s a direct airside transfer route).

They would never manage this in a satellite - and in the old Green Mile connections had to be bussed to the FCC to avoid having to reflect security twice on changing terminals. Once this was sorted, they could be given one of the lounge spots directly above the gates.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
It's a big building with a lot of windows so in summer it will always be difficult to keep cool. It is still too hot in the middle of winter at night when snow is falling outside. Clearly this is not just caused by insolation.

(that last word is not a typo)
Thomathy and chrisboote like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi
4. Get rid of that horrible synthetic lady voice. Every time I hear “her” I want to strangle “her”. Britain is full of people with fantastic voices - Attenborough, Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, David Dimbleby just to mention a few.
Totally agree!! Incredibly annoying!!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, UA Mileage Plus, bmi Diamond Club
  • Cooler
  • More seats in Wetherspoons (Mr Martin's politics aside, at least you can get a proper pint there, but it's always rammed)
  • Outside viewing terrace
  • Somewhere with less garish lighting - the idea of a chill out area is great
TTmex likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: BAEC
Fix (reboot) the Trokia Cloud, and maintain it.

Troika Cloud Sculpture T5 Lounges

It's not operationally important, but a nice bit of wow factor for the terminal.
Thomathy and windowontheAside like this.

Last edited by plunet; Jan 22, 2019 at 2:04 pm
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:38 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Put urinals in the gents toilets in the lounges. Queuing problem is doubled because of the integral washbasins too and made further worse again in the mornings if someone wants a shave too. Most blokes just want to take a leak FFS
Dover2Golf and TTmex like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by flatlander
I would improve the environmental controls so that the interior of the entire terminal is at a comfortable temperature, instead of always too hot.

Part of that would be to replace all the lounge chillers with refrigeration equipment that dumps the heat outside instead of into the room.
Agreed. It is always too hot. This is a similar problem in BKK, but at least they have part of an excuse - it's in a tropical climate.

Originally Posted by adrianlondon
... or make the B and C gates less depressing places to wait.
They are way too quiet over there ... it would be so much better if there was something else to do other than sit in these two satellites as it would reduce the scrum in the main concourse

Originally Posted by MiraculousM
And me being tight and all, give us more "cheap" food options. Open an nandos or something. Itsu is not good.
I'm guessing they're trying to squeeze as much cash out of you as possible

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Simple. Study T2 and apply all the learning they used from T5 to T5 itself.
Or alternatively study how Changi does it? Or even hire Changi to come in over and show them how it's done?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:13 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by booogle
Have a real "fast track" transit security
This. It's ridiculous that's it's often easier to exit landside and go back through first wing. A route between transfers and the 'input' of first wing would be perfect.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:39 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
1. The need to do transit security when transferring from the Schengen
2. Having to walk against a tide of people to the CCR entrance after said security
3. The fact there is never anywhere to sit in the CCR because of the type of furniture used (huge sofas, grouped together)
4. CCR toilets look like they are at a gas station somewhere
5. The horrible transfer experience to/from T3, even when Gold/in F
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:04 am

As an occasional user, I rather like T5. I love the soaring ceiling and curve of the roof, both landside and airside, I like the F check in and wing, love the car park pods (but yet to use), the Sofitel, and I am glad of the walkways. It feels spacious, clean, fresh and quite exciting - although that's no doubt influenced by being an occasional leisure flyer in F and J. I guess in terms of improvements I would agree with others the CCR loos and furniture arrangement to allow for more couples and singles seating. Last time I was there two entire terrace cabanas were empty but reserved with someone's bag. If the transit were more frequent I might be tempted from the walkway for C gates. Finally, build D gates!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.