Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How would YOU improve T5 - radical ideas to reboot BA’s “home”

Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite

I was chatting at length to a very strong critic of T5 the other day

My starters

- find a way to run more than two shuttle trains on the existing lines

- expand the footprint of GC north and turn it in to a dedicated business / silver lounge with a spa and showers, with checkin desks for J and fast track all moved to zone A

- turn GC south in to a second level for GF, with dining, showers and a gold spa

- remove the existing kitchen and spa and extend the CCR into them, including the wasted terrace space

- build a bridge and air bridges to the four aircraft stands immediately opposite the GF terrace by the south runway

- install a lift down to car service pickup direct from the GF lounge

- create a First Wing arrrivals zone with dedicated passport control, meet point and connections desk / security point

CharlotteC likes this.

Last edited by HFHFFlyer; Jan 22, 2019 at 1:33 am Reason: UD
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:05 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Let other airlines use it, and make BA share some of the pain of the rest of LHR. I really think AA should be co-located there, spinning off a whole chunk of both long and short haul to other terminals. That would also encourage BA to up their connections game.
BearX220, fotographer and dp1586 like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I would improve the environmental controls so that the interior of the entire terminal is at a comfortable temperature, instead of always too hot.

Part of that would be to replace all the lounge chillers with refrigeration equipment that dumps the heat outside instead of into the room.
Morland, scolbath, rjn21 and 10 others like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by A P Yu
Let other airlines use it, and make BA share some of the pain of the rest of LHR. I really think AA should be co-located there, spinning off a whole chunk of both long and short haul to other terminals. That would also encourage BA to up their connections game.
T5 was built for BA. Why inflict what BA wanted on other airlines?

There is no room for AA flights in T5. If there was room for more flights from T5 - they and HAL would have to extend C and build D - then BA flights from T3 should move first rather than be split off.
redrob, James91, navylad and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Can't see how AA would fit sadly. Aer Lingus, on the other hand would fit nicely, especially with some of the suggested improvements. If IAG were to take a group wide view, money could surely be saved. Doing that may even open up some route consolidation opportunities for the two airlines to share the route with larger 321s, releasing some slots without breaching the regulatory undertakings IAG gave about the service frequency.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:41 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
Build the "D Gates" satellite and stop regular use of coaching gates at T5.
Build a BA lounge in "C Gates"
rfrost, CMK10, cosmo74 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by camdentown; Jan 22, 2019 at 1:42 am Reason: type
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:11 am

Programs: BA Silver
Fireman’s pole from GC North down to the low numbered domestic gates?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:19 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Work out how to get CX to fly from T5?
Pack and thebigben like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:29 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by sxc
Work out how to get CX to fly from T5?
Alternatively get the lounge contract to Accor hotels, which I believe run our favorite T3 lounges
CharlotteC likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:30 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by thebigben
Alternatively get the lounge contract to Accor hotels, which I believe run our favorite T3 lounges
Sofitel/Accor run the qantas lounge. Sodexo has recently taken over the CX lounge (from plaza premium).
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Diamond; others
Properly renovate / modernize the showers at both south lounges and arrivals, and increase the number of showers at south lounges.

Make connections fast track work properly - e.g., physically remove the possibility of non-fast track passenegers being directed into there too. Although since I always use landside-TFW path now, the persistently rubbish fast track connections doesn't bother me directly anymore.

Adjust the "street furniture" and visual cues so that the hordes plodding and ambling about the main terminal are encouraged not to clog up the pathways for passengers who just want to walk from one place to another efficiently and not feel they have fallen into a shopping mall on a bank holiday.

Keep the arrivals immigration e-gates all working/on all the time (rather than arriving to see a big queue and only 4 gates working).

GC North should be bigger/better. It would be nice if GF were bigger too but honestly probably not critical.

I'd rather have improvements to the A lounges and confidence of transit time from A to C than another lounge in C.

Overall, in fairness, it's not that bad a terminal.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Said it before
Extend ABC transit to terminal 3
Agree run the transit more frequently
The transit for me is the worse aspect of T5
Gerbs and HFHFFlyer like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:53 am

Stop the stupid scrum for the baggage drop machines. It's pathetic. There's no queueing system. One person randomly picks those who push to the front to show their passport and boarding pass. There's no desk to put things on. There's no space to put bags down properly so you just juggle everything while trying to show a mobile boarding pass to someone who then doesn't even look at them properly.

Consider putting the business class check-in desks near the tube/HEx entrance rather than in the middle of the room.

Stop faking the "go to gate" and "boarding" announcements, or make the B and C gates less depressing places to wait.

Run more tubes to T5.

Having said all this, I still think it's a good terminal overall.
RJD1983, Eskimoboy and :D! like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:00 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR; AB Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Renovate the Toilets in CCR and GF and reduce space to build more. I never understood who needed that much space - half of the current would still be enough to change clothes..
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A Gold
Install some smoking areas/rooms

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.