Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How would YOU improve T5 - radical ideas to reboot BA’s “home”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How would YOU improve T5 - radical ideas to reboot BA’s “home”

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I see we've al;ready had contradictory ideas!

- display the gate earlier

- display the gate later
Just ban Flyertalkers from using T5....problem solved?
RJD1983, wrp96, Crismyth and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
What's this transit thing everyone is going on about?

As for the shopping experience (not that I see much of it for some reason) and the congestion along the central departure area - that is quite deliberate. I hardly buy anything in T5 but I'm very grateful to those who do, thereby at least partly subsidising the cost of my flying. Voluntary tax? A splendid thing.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I hardly buy anything in T5 but I'm very grateful to those who do, thereby at least partly subsidising the cost of my flying. Voluntary tax? A splendid thing.
Is it really though?

LHR is one of, if not the, most expensive airport for passenger service charge, so I'm not sure the logic stacks up. Yes, of course, PSC could be even higher (god forbid) but to say that the shopping centre is offsetting PSC versus being a profit centre in itself is not so clear.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rossmacd
LHR is one of, if not the, most expensive airport for passenger service charge, so I'm not sure the logic stacks up. Yes, of course, PSC could be even higher (god forbid) but to say that the shopping centre is offsetting PSC versus being a profit centre in itself is not so clear.
I don't know for sure either, but there is a general point that if a company - in this case HAL - is spending billions on infrastructure, then it will want a good 10%, 20% return on its investment or it won't bother. And it's not going to be selective about where the money comes from. Clearly if PSC is high, HAL makes a lot of money, but if the shops were closed, the advertising switched off and the parking made Ł2 a day, then I can't see that reducing the PSC.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:40 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
Can't see how AA would fit sadly. Aer Lingus, on the other hand would fit nicely, especially with some of the suggested improvements. If IAG were to take a group wide view, money could surely be saved. Doing that may even open up some route consolidation opportunities for the two airlines to share the route with larger 321s, releasing some slots without breaching the regulatory undertakings IAG gave about the service frequency.
I'm all for moving Aer Lingus, that would be a great improvement in T2!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Get rid of at least one high end clothing store and replace with a really good bookshop.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:49 am

- Rip the lounges out and start again, all of them. Possibly T5B can stay.

- Build a lounge in T5C.

- If they cant bring themselves to announce gates earlier, at least tell people if they are in A, B or C to cut some of the crowds down in A.

Or just build a 3rd runway.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
"radical ideas to reboot BA’s “home"” - start planning / building the new T1 (I imagine it will be BA's new home if and when it comes anyway)
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
1. Get rid of transit security for connecting passengers from “clean” countries.
2. Speed up bag delivery. It’s shockingly slow compared to T2.
3. Announce gates earlier.
4. Get rid of that horrible synthetic lady voice. Every time I hear “her” I want to strangle “her”. Britain is full of people with fantastic voices - Attenborough, Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, David Dimbleby just to mention a few.
scolbath, Gerbs, dylanks and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
A lift or stairs from the Dub gates straight down to baggage instead of the walk to the middle of T5 and then the walk all the way back if you checked in a bag.

Last edited by pacenotes; Jan 22, 2019 at 10:24 am
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
I like T5 (when compared to other larger airports in the UK) and prefer the less-confusing single airline approach from arrival at departures (no hunting for the 'right' check in desks).

But given the monopoly, I'm puzzled as to how much of the airport is, in fact, a scrum. I love the First check-in line. Sadly my wallet doesn't. [But it is still a poor relation to the Virgin Upper Wing experience especially when arriving by taxi]

So I'll focus on the mass transit part....

1. Better signs outside the terminal for which door to be dropped off at (eg First drop off at the South end)
2. Get rid of the useless 'south and north' security lines signage and get more security lines (crazy to have so many check in desks, which is NOT where the hold ups are).
3. Once through the security lines get a better way of moving people quickly onto the lower floor. Perhaps even putting escalators straight into the current atrium and then allowing upwards travel in other places (like the lunges)
4. And the big one..... MUCH earlier gate calls to move people away from the shops
My experience has been that if you want peace and quiet then head to the gate. The problem is that you can't because you don't know which gate! So everyone is pretty much required to stay put until T-30. [As a one off example, I flew to OSL and my taxi dropped me at the north end. No security queue. Straight into Galleries North At the entry point the helpful desk clerk said 'your flight is going from A21 so you might be better off in the other lounge' (or words to that effect). Nothing on the boards to indicate this but it was clearly known.

IMHO the optimal flow would be to allow the masses to move into smaller and smaller groups away from the entry point (some would pick quiet zones, some family, some the bars etc and some would camp at the gate to minimise interruptions. In sum, the cynic in me says that the user experience is designed to trap you as close to the shops as possible.
chrisboote likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Simple. Study T2 and apply all the learning they used from T5 to T5 itself.
Swanhunter, Dover2Golf and dp1586 like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'd love to see Shake Shack open in T5 -- just like in T4 at JFK.
RobDBA, MiraculousM and argonath like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Simple. Study T2 and apply all the learning they used from T5 to T5 itself.
... especially the ultra-long walk to the B gates...
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Get rid of BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.