Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brexit cancellation - EU261 Right to care?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
Brexit cancellation - EU261 Right to care?

Hi,
I'm currently looking into booking summer flight from Preveza to London with BA as I have some business in London right after my holiday. The problem is that this is a new route and there's a chance BA will be unable to operate this following Brexit as proposed EU legislation caps number of frequencies to pre-Brexit level (technically this is applied to individual member states rather than individual airports, but I guess leisure routes would be the first to bite the dust).
I wonder what would my rights be under EU261 in this situation. I expect no compensation as this will almost certainly fall under "extraordinary circumstances", but I wonder if right to care would still be applicable - i.e. whether BA would still be required to offer me rerouting, or if they can simply cancel my ticket and leave me on my own in such situation. Naturally, I would like to avoid the latter as fares will be higher shortly before my trip.
Thanks for any input.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Brexit has NO effect on Eu261 as it is part of existing UK legislation and would require Parliament to actively repeal it.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Brexit has NO effect on Eu261 as it is part of existing UK legislation and would require Parliament to actively repeal it.
Moreover, as EC261 applies to any carrier flying out of the EU (no matter what that airline's government or parliament thinks of it), the OP is definitely covered for Preveza to London (in the same way someone travelling Athens to Newark on United is covered).
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:15 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
There are hundreds of pieces of legislation waiting for HMG to sort out what is happening.
Who know what will actually happen. It's too early.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
I have a similar question, I have a one way flight in Europe but my flight was cancelled. But the flight is April 24 2019. Is this too early of a flight cancellation to qualify ?

Thanks !
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Yes as you have been given more than 14 days notice.

this is the thread you need

The 2019 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.