Community
Wiki Posts
Search

£18K to add $800 flights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Unhappy £18K to add $800 flights

Have upcoming flight to SEA in F for 2 adults & 2 children made up of 2-4-1 voucher for adults and 2 full fare for children.
I called BA to add SEA-PDX on OneWorld Partner Alaska and was quoted over £18000
Even though I can purchase these flights directly with Alaska for $800.
The reason I want it added to my itinerary is so I can get the baggage checked all the way through.

I was told that BA have to match these tickets to full price F tickets or something. I still don't understand.
Does anybody have a clue?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
It will be because it is priced up as a fare change so if the fare has gone up then you have to pay that, plus the change fee plus the cost of the additional flight.
Keystone likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:00 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I am not sure what they were quoting for as you can't add non BA flights to a 2-4-1 or merge in revenue flights with reward flights on the same booking.

For the two full fare children I imagine they were quoting the full cost of doing a change to those tickets.

AS is not a oneworld partner btw, they aren't in oneworld, they are just a BA partner.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by KARFA
I am not sure what they were quoting for as you can't add non BA flights to a 2-4-1 or merge in revenue flights with reward flights on the same booking.
i think that’s exactly the issue. What op wants means losing the 2-4-1 and effectively buying four tickets.

op, you want to have it all on one ticket to check luggage through but you just can’t, not with your 2-4-1, plus any change to your existing tickets will incur fees anyway even if you were to stay within the rules or 2-4-1. Your only reasonable choice is to book your AS flights separately knowing it will mean both rechecking bags and assuming the risk in case your first itinerary is delayed or cancel so do plan plenty of time between those flights.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:16 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by CommuniK
Have upcoming flight to SEA in F for 2 adults & 2 children made up of 2-4-1 voucher for adults and 2 full fare for children.
I called BA to add SEA-PDX on OneWorld Partner Alaska and was quoted over £18000
Even though I can purchase these flights directly with Alaska for $800.
The reason I want it added to my itinerary is so I can get the baggage checked all the way through.

I was told that BA have to match these tickets to full price F tickets or something. I still don't understand.
Does anybody have a clue?
You’d have to pick up, take your bags through customs and recheck anyway.

Other that that that I didn’t think you could mix miles and revenue sectors at all, so surprised you even got that eye watering quote!
Gino Troian and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:18 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
You have to claim and recheck your bags anyway, and the Alaska ticket is likely flexible at that price point. May as well just buy it yourself independently
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:21 am

Programs: BA GGL
You won't be able to do this anyway, so I'd just book separate tickets and take the risk. Avoid the connection being too tight, however, in the instance of delay.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. It was the duty manager @ BA that said they were OneWorld and said I would be able to check it through it I purchased the tickets separately and presented the other boarding cards at check in @ LHR. Of course, I laughed as I've tried that numerous times over the years. I was also told by BA last time I tried that if I booked all the way through I wouldn't need to recheck.
I will never believe them now and accept the inconvenience at SEA. It is an inconvenience btw because the Alaska desk is the other end of the airport at SEA and with 2 toddlers in tow a PITA/.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
The collect and re-check is because you are doing an International to Domestic connection at SEA and would be the same between any two airlines, regardless of alliance or partnerships. You must claim you baggage and take it through US Customs yourself before handing it to your onward carrier. At some places this is much easier than others.
navylad and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Seattle to Portland is about 3 hour drive on a major highway in case you want to look at options. Of course you will have to drive on the wrong side of the road but with everyone else.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I was also told by BA last time I tried that if I booked all the way through I wouldn't need to recheck.
Technically that is kind of correct a subtle way, in that you bag can and would be checked to the final destination - so the bag label would say LHR->SEA->PDX on it.

However, as is the case for any INT-INT or INT-DOM connection at any US airport (apart from MIA in certain cases) all checked bags must be collected at your first port of arrival and taken through customs. Once through typically there are re-check desks immediately after customs where you just bag drop and your bag will then go back in the system - no need for a new label as your existing label already covers the domestic connections.
jerry a. laska, Yoshi212 and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:08 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by zebranz
Of course you will have to drive on the wrong side of the road but with everyone else.
O/T but you've been looking for it...
Semantically, it's called the right-hand side because it's the right side. Left being wrong, or worse if you go back to Latin: sinister.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For what it is worth, BA has interline agreements with both AS and DL. Even if AS were in OW, it would not matter. The SEA-PDX block time is about 50 minutes and flying time can be as little as 15-20.

1. AS runs a shuttle service SEA-PDX with service approximately every 30 minutes. Singles run $90-105 depending on whether you care about flexibility (if you do). If you misconnect, you may wait 30, 60 or 90 minutes depending on availability or you may split up and wait at PDX for an extra 30 minutes or so for the family to catch up. No different on the same ticket as availability is availability

2. The work flow for your bags will make a 2-3 minute difference whether they are checked to PDX or SEA. If checked to PDX, you will claim them at SEA, cart them through Customs and drop them post-Customs and then claim them for good at PDX. If only tagged to SEA, you will then stand in lime at the bag drop post-Customs so that new labels can be affixed. On a very tight transfer, that might matter, but given the frequencies to PDX, this is not an issue.

The bottom line problem you faced is that one cannot "add" anything to a ticket. Rather, if one makes a change, the old ticket is cancelled, a new ticket issued and the value of the old ticket less any fees is deducted. You were not quoted £18,000 for SEA-PDX, but rather the best price then available for LHR-PDX via SEA. Approx. £4,500 for that ticket in F does not sound out of range.

Unfortunately, BA phone staff are able to sell tickets and make changes, but they really have no idea about who is in an alliance or what the logistics are at a given airport. All they can tell you is that you can't check bags across two tickets not in the same PNR.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zebranz
Seattle to Portland is about 3 hour drive on a major highway in case you want to look at options. Of course you will have to drive on the wrong side of the road but with everyone else.
This. Last time I did LHR-SEA then drove down to PDX, then flew back up to PDX.

Given the length of time it takes to change terminals, etc. in SEA, the need to re-check bags, etc. you may as well drive - it's likely to be quicker. Maybe have a night at the airport after landing to make things a little less stressful, although I have also done the drive immediately after getting off the LHR-SEA flight and I found it manageable - though I'd avoid it if I had time.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
You would literally have to drag your bags 10m post customs to get new labels if that is what is needed.

You have no option but to buy these flights separately although you’ll have to figure out how to pay the checked bag fees if they aren’t included in your ticket price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.