Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR weather cancellations shorthaul - Tuesday 22 January 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR weather cancellations shorthaul - Tuesday 22 January 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Is there a reason LHR does not implement a De-Icing at the holding point short of the runway. Seems to work in locations with colder winters, but given that a 50% chance of wintry showers causes significant proactive disruption, surely it would pay for any developmental work quickly.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:25 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Perhaps we might concentrate our discussion on assisting those affected (and potentially affected) by these weather cancellations rather than regurgitate the usual moans about LHR and its difficulty in coping with bad/poor weather conditions?
I'm looking out of the window in Canary Wharf, and struggling to envisage the alleged poor weather - it seems to be clear, dry and not even that cold... Is it a dramatically different picture 20 miles west?
​​​​
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Deltus
I'm looking out of the window in Canary Wharf, and struggling to envisage the alleged poor weather - it seems to be clear, dry and not even that cold... Is it a dramatically different picture 20 miles west?
​​​​
Showers and snow are forecast for this afternoon between around 2-6pm for LHR which is when the pro-active cancellations have been done. There are no pro-active cancellations this morning at LHR.

EGLL 221120Z AUTO 27009KT 9999 NCD 05/02 Q1003 NOSIG

TAF EGLL 221059Z 2212/2318 27008KT 9999 FEW035
TEMPO 2214/2218 6000 -SHRASN BKN012
PROB40
TEMPO 2214/2218 2000 SHRASN BKN006
PROB30
TEMPO 2218/2221 3000 -SHSN BKN008

PROB30
TEMPO 2301/2310 BKN008
BECMG 2306/2309 33010KT
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
Is there a reason LHR does not implement a De-Icing at the holding point short of the runway. Seems to work in locations with colder winters, but given that a 50% chance of wintry showers causes significant proactive disruption, surely it would pay for any developmental work quickly.
They do, to a limited extent, but, look at google maps at the deicing areas at places like CDG and then work out where you could put such large facilities at Heathrow.
wrp96 and Heathrow Tower like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Deltus
​​​​
And that is why there are no cancellations as you look out of your window, the forecast weather has not yet arrived. Cancellations are on the board for later this afternoon and if the forecast weather arrives, there will be delays and potentially more cancellations - hence why we should concentrate on helping those who might (potentially) be affected.

Last edited by Tobias-UK; Jan 22, 2019 at 4:50 am
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I must admit when I arrived in T5 about an hour ago to clear blue skies and near perfect conditions I couldn't really work out what the fuss was about. (LurkerWilf's flight was also cancelled incidentally so they are probably having to get the LPGS tanker in today). But I have to say that the sky is clouding and darkening up by the minute now, completely different aspect to the situation earlier this afternoon.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:36 am

Heavy enough sleet in Reading at the moment, forecast on the money
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
I'm sat on the CCR terrace watching it get darker and darker...

Interesting also to see the suitably alarming looking "Amber Warning Day" procedures outlining rebooking rules etc on an A4 sheet for staff to consult at all the check in desks.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And lo, it's now snowing* at LHR.

*southerner variety
T8191, wrp96, Geordie405 and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Big fat flakes have been coming down for a good 10 minutes or more now. I haven't got up from my desk to see if it's settling. Consensus is that there would not be much, if any, accumulation.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: BA Silver
Keep checking the board for updates but just opened the gate so hopefully good to go
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
And lo, it's now snowing* at LHR.

*southerner variety
I'm due to travel later this week on one of the flights that got cancelled today. In the (hopefully unlikely) event that the same fate befalls my flight in due course, does anyone know if BA are amenable to rebooking LHR passengers onto services out of LCY (better for me than waiting for a later LHR flight)?

Also, what exactly makes snow "southerner variety" - is it that it is certified organic or does it have to contain quinoa?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: BA, Virgin, Lufthansa
Sat in the de-incing queue , so far flight is 1hr late departing bit hey better to be de-iced
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Originally Posted by thebigben
That sounds more like Heathrow being poorly prepared for winter rather than anything else...
More like the whole UK. It's incredible how this chaos happens every year without fail. How many more years will it be before the UK finally learns they need to get their act together for such weather conditions?!
Irreverent Medusa likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Glasgow's runway was closed this morning between roughly 9 and 11am due to snow. Several diversions and quite a few late departures/arrivals. I had a tricky drive home along the M8 at 9 due to the snow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.