Wiki Posts
Search

‘Supersonic’ on a 747 - 20th Jan

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Hoch
Ah, I see another fan of the Windy website as well!

I do not mind turbulence myself, but I remember three years ago flying back to LCY on the Babybus and being lifted off my seat (whilst trying to sleep) because it was so rough. Mind, I still managed a good five hour or so of sleep

H

The babybus does seem more susceptible to turbulence compared to the 747/777. I don't tend to do it as much heading east partly for that reason - although I still love flying it
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by KARFA

The babybus does seem more susceptible to turbulence compared to the 747/777. I don't tend to do it as much heading east partly for that reason - although I still love flying it
Oh, the decisions!

'Cos it's little, innit?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Worst turbulence I've been in was on a BA 747 to Mexico coming over East coast USA. Couple of people vomiting and a few making yelping noises and some people crying. Captain cooly comes on the mic and says he's doing best to avoid it. He had to say something as people were bricking it. Went on for an hour. Still managed to hail a red wine during as I was back row.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTmex
Worst turbulence I've been in was on a BA 747 to Mexico coming over East coast USA. Couple of people vomiting and a few making yelping noises and some people crying. Captain cooly comes on the mic and says he's doing best to avoid it. He had to say something as people were bricking it. Went on for an hour. Still managed to hail a red wine during as I was back row.
Impressive!

Not sure if true or not, but I once heard that its always bumpier at the back of a plane vs the front. Something to do with a combination of center of lift/gravity and the stabilisation sensors being located in the cockpit.... Always felt like sitting at the back of a 747 is like being stationed on the tail of an over-excited dog
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by Chris1988
Impressive!

Not sure if true or not, but I once heard that its always bumpier at the back of a plane vs the front. Something to do with a combination of center of lift/gravity and the stabilisation sensors being located in the cockpit.... Always felt like sitting at the back of a 747 is like being stationed on the tail of an over-excited dog
Yes, take off is entertaining from the back row of a 747.
I swear it 'wobbles' laterally as it leaves the runway!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Utilizing jet streams saves costs in fuel and time. I’m sure you’d have been more annoyed if they came round with the captain’s hat asking everyone for a couple of hundred quid for fuel to fly the smooth way home.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by T8191
I fully accept the OP’s perception: a nice observation! ... Groundspeed v. airspeed is well understood by most here. However, it does make for a quick trip!

As for turbulence, whilst it doesn’t worry me (from a safety POV) it’s bloody annoying. Especially the almost guaranteed batch off Newfoundland during the dinner service! As for thejohn’s experience on the JER sector ... no thanks!!
Quick trip? Well, that would depend on which way you are going.....
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA Exec Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by chrismk
Yes, take off is entertaining from the back row of a 747.
I swear it 'wobbles' laterally as it leaves the runway!
I remember chucking my guts up as a kid right after take off from Kai tak in the last row of a jumbo.
TTmex likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by KARFA

Airbus wings are stiffer than the more "flexible" Boeings. Hence you get a stiffer ride and feel the bumps more (no double entendre intended ;-))
MSPeconomist, wrp96, KARFA and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Just be thankful you were not flying the opposite direction. Then you would have had the bumps PLUS a low ground speed.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:20 pm

Turbulence is not a big deal. Simply drink more, and let the wobbles of the drink cancel out the wobbles of the turbulence!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
I can beat it...

LAX ---> JFK on JetBlue last June. No turbulence that I recall...
roberino and BlackSkyuk like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
When we start seeing the "how fast can this thing go" shots from passengers I am always reminded of Maj Shul's story of the pilot's version of the same game:
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
Airbus wings are stiffer than the more "flexible" Boeings. Hence you get a stiffer ride and feel the bumps more (no double entendre intended ;-))
Interesting, I always thought this was to do with flaperons, but it seems on further reading you are quite correct!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Going to show my age now. Worst turbulence which I experienced was on the Delhi - Dhaka route on a Speedbird 747. Sitting in First I don't recollect any service as we were strapped in for the whole flight. That's Monsoon season for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.