BA1431 BHD-LHR

Print Wikipost

BA 100 years retro liveries

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by EDIwanderer
Im guessing as the livery is ‘British Airways’ there is no need to spell it out again, only the ‘100’ logo close to the tail though hard to see in silver.
Originally Posted by EDIwanderer
I’m thinking (and putting words in someone’s mouth) that it’s the current swoosh missing. I believe they are present on the BOAC / BEA frames as they don’t say British Airways. This one does so hence no need for the ribbonette.
Ah, I see: a terminology problem. The swoosh/ribbonette is the Speedmarque.

Looking at that difficult-to-see silver "100" makes me wonder whether there's a decal to be applied there as well.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by woody90
BNLY seems to have gone tech... not a great first outing!
She is on her way now.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Will BA need to pay a fee to the designers of these liveries or do they have unrestricted rights?
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 12:14 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by richardwft
Will BA need to pay a fee to the designers of these liveries or do they have unrestricted rights?
it would be pretty odd if ba didn’t hold all rights having commissioned the livery.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
I've always been an advocate of Chatham, but damn, that takes me back; and she still looks sharp and on point.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Oh, come on, it’s just PAINT. If they were all white, with just a Union Flag by the door, would you care?

You might see it from tne Gate, but the inside? Where do you spend your time?
Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Ah, I see: a terminology problem. The swoosh/ribbonette is the Speedmarque.
And while we're clearing up terminology, according to Wikipedia and Economy Class and Beyond, we have the:
  • Speedbird: the almost triangular logo currently on the tail of the BOAC 747. Introduced in 1932 for Imperial Airways.
  • Speedwing: the long red line that now appears on the side of the Landor 747, from 1984.
  • Speedmarque: the ribbon-type thing that has been BA's logo since 1997.
If anyone else enjoys the rules on corporate logos as much as I do, their brand guidelines from 2007 are an interesting read.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by KARFA
it would be pretty odd if ba didn’t hold all rights having commissioned the livery.
Are you saying BA probably have unrestricted rights to past liveries?
Old Mar 9, 2019, 2:39 pm

Are you saying BA probably have unrestricted rights to past liveries?

let's put it this way, if you were an airline and commissioning someone to do a new livery what possible reason wouldn't you want to hold all rights to that livery? I can't see any reason the agency doing the livery should hold any rights to the livery.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 2:45 pm
Suspended

... I can't see any reason the agency doing the livery should hold any rights to the livery.
Thank you for the clarification.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 2:56 pm

Thank you for the clarification.
Just to clarify, in terms of copyright for commissioned works there is no automatic transfer of rights from the commissionee to the commissioner. I deal with IP every day tho, and my feeling is that there would be as part of the agreement a promise to assign all rights to the airline. The livery is a huge part of your brand and I would find it very odd if that was something outside the airline's complete ownership and control. Hope that makes sense.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 2:57 pm

let's put it this way, if you were an airline and commissioning someone to do a new livery what possible reason wouldn't you want to hold all rights to that livery? I can't see any reason the agency doing the livery should hold any rights to the livery.
To potentially save money? If the fee structure were based on the number of aircraft using it or the number of years it's in use, it might have a lower up-front cost for the airline, and it could generate a longer-term income for the design agency. That would connect the design agency's profits with the success of the branding - if the airline were happy to keep the brand for a long time, it would be more profitable, but if the design got binned after a few years (e.g. those "world tails"), the airline could save cash.

I have no expertise in marketing or branding contracts, so happy to be corrected, but I don't see any reason in principle why two reasonable commercial parties couldn't agree such terms.
KARFA likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Deltus
To potentially save money? If the fee structure were based on the number of aircraft using it or the number of years it's in use, it might have a lower up-front cost for the airline, and it could generate a longer-term income for the design agency. That would connect the design agency's profits with the success of the branding - if the airline were happy to keep the brand for a long time, it would be more profitable, but if the design got binned after a few years (e.g. those "world tails"), the airline could save cash.

I have no expertise in marketing or branding contracts, so happy to be corrected, but I don't see any reason in principle why two reasonable commercial parties couldn't agree such terms.
indeed, it may be possible and i am not suggesting it isn't. there would also be issues regarding significant risk management for the agency in such a situation as your future profits are dependent on the performance of the airline - not the most secure business in the world as we have seen over the last 12 months!

i find it hard to believe tho that any right minded person at an airline would think that is appropriate. you wouldn't let the British Airways trade mark out of your ownership and take a licence so why would you do it with your livery which is just as prominent. it wouldn't make any sense to me.
Deltus likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:18 pm

i find it hard to believe tho that any right minded person at an airline would think that is appropriate. you wouldn't let the British Airways trade mark out of your ownership and take a licence so why would you do it with your livery which is just as prominent. it wouldn't make any sense to me.
True - my hypothetical licensing contract would still prohibit the agency from selling the design to anyone else, but could feasibly mean that BA would have to go back and pay the agency some additional fee, which was the original question.

But yes, it would certainly be a commercial risk for the design agency, although I'm sure people have signed worse contracts!
KARFA likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: BAEC / Hilton Honors / Accor
G-BNLY currently on its way to Miami, then its scheduled to fly to Vancouver on Sunday & Monday. Is Landor going to be based at T3 or do aircraft move between T3 & T5 outside of say a last minute aircraft swap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.