Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Can you pro-actively airport upgrade another passenger?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver

I'm wondering, can you pro-actively airport upgrade another passenger, without them necessarily being aware that you're doing so.

Such that when they arrive at the airport they get a nice surprise...
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: BAEC
Due to the Data Protection Act, I doubt you can do anything like that unless you're on the same booking, and everyone is getting an upgrade.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:23 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I have done it for a colleague when I knew BA would upgrade me. I paid online using my credit card. You can have a different person paying to the actual passenger
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
Sorry, I should add, assuming you paid for the ticket. Assuming you paid this must you give some ability to manage the booking ?

I.e. you arrive for the airport, before the passenger, you pay for the upgrade at the sales desk at the airport.

Doable ?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
I had a long palarva trying to do something similar but with UuA. I had to add myself as a third party nominee to their BAEC account and add their BAEC number to the flight booking. It’s not really a surprise with all the notifications they get.

I’ve always thought it would be nice if BA offered a mechanism to allow anonymous upgrades if members have opted in. “Allow anyone to upgrade my travel class on BA flight bookings.”
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:22 am

Wait till they check in online and print their boarding pass. They'll find out when they get to the airport
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by bmj1
Sorry, I should add, assuming you paid for the ticket. Assuming you paid this must you give some ability to manage the booking ?

I.e. you arrive for the airport, before the passenger, you pay for the upgrade at the sales desk at the airport.

Doable ?
Yes, if you paid for the booking. And if an AUP comes up then you can also pay for it, though emails get generated along the way with AUP particularly if there are seat selections involved.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, if you paid for the booking. And if an AUP comes up then you can also pay for it, though emails get generated along the way with AUP particularly if there are seat selections involved.
Wouldn't that depend on what email address was associated with the booking? I've done it where my partner joined me for the weekend after a work trip and I had booked both flights. Different flights and different PNR's, but I booked and paid for both, and my email was on both bookings.

I did the OLCI and saw the upgrade offer and accepted it, and didn't tell him. He only clued in when he had to stop at a row sooner then he was expecting upon boarding, and in a different cabin. He was very surprised and quite grateful.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Also if you are a nominated party on the booking even if you didn’t pay. Eg convince the other they need to do that so you can change your seat or something...
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:29 am

Programs: mileage plus
if you can get hold of their PNR number and change the booking online without them knowing you can. A friend of mine upgraded his parents on Air
Canada so when they checked in they got the surprise.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:41 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Once upgraded missus from Y to PE on Virgin without telling her. She then called me after she had boarded saying she was upgraded for some reason and now sipping champagne in upper. I was really worried she had somehow gotten lost! Turns out she got an extra bump last minute...
polochick likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.