Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What happened then? [Redemption space gone after PayPal payment showed pending]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

So, I sat up until midnight in order to grab a DUR/LHR redemption in J for 09/01/2020 and the flights appeared so I chose and went through the usual procedure and paid the APD via PAYPAL which went through. Then a message popped up on the BA site to say that the order could not be completed and to contact BA. However PAYPAL sent me the confirmation through and it shows pending on my account. When I rechecked the flights there were now no BA flights where there had been a goodly choice 5 minutes before but there were three for Qatar which had not shown originally. I have not received anything email wise from BA so I would think have missed out on the flight, but why? What the heck happened there? Off to bed. I guess I’ll phone them in the morning.

Last edited by Shingi; Jan 19, 2019 at 6:24 pm
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:23 pm

I'm guessing another redeemer was a few key strokes ahead of you and beat you to it.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
You won’t have paid APD on a one way DUR-LHR flight. It would have been airport fees, any South Africa Taxes and of course the BA carrier surcharge.

the pending charge will drop off your PayPal account in the next couple of days.

little point in phoning BA as all thy will say is someone completed the transaction before you did.

the QR fights appearing is likely due to time lag between QR uploading ththeir flights and the BA system picking them up.
Shingi likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:46 am

You have to be FAST when grabbing redemption seats on popular routes. The first night that I did it, I thought I went through the screens pretty quick, but still lost out. The next night I was lightning fast through the process and got the two J seats. That was to CPT (for my parents actually).
HIDDY and Shingi like this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Wow, I thought I’d been lightening quick as it was. It was just choosing the connection I guess that slowed me down and the Thursday DUR/LHR direct didn’t even show on the options to begin with, just the ones via JNB. Luckily I am very flexible with dates, being retired, so will just carry on trying and thank you for your replies which make absolute sense and I won’t phone BA and I won’t worry about the PayPal transaction showing up as I am sure that it will drop off.

Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Shingi
Wow, I thought I’d been lightening quick as it was. It was just choosing the connection I guess that slowed me down and the Thursday DUR/LHR direct didn’t even show on the options to begin with, just the ones via JNB. Luckily I am very flexible with dates, being retired, so will just carry on trying and thank you for your replies which make absolute sense and I won’t phone BA and I won’t worry about the PayPal transaction showing up as I am sure that it will drop off.
If you pre-register a card with BAEC you can speed things up, you only need to enter the CCV at that stage in the transaction. There are security issues with this however so you need to use a card from a bank which can rectify the impact of any data leaks. The other thing some people do is call BA using the USA number using Skype just before midnight and then get the agent to grab the seats at the start of the transaction then work through the payment process. However I am not sure how Paypal works on telephone bookings.
Shingi and HIDDY like this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Good luck...I hope you get them.
Shingi likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Woo, woo got the DUR/LHR direct flight so I ‘m glad it didn’t happen last night after all. Thanks folks

Last edited by Shingi; Jan 20, 2019 at 5:27 pm Reason: Typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.