Wiki Posts
Search

Help with fare query (website vs agent)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Help with fare query (website vs agent)

Could anybody help with me a fare query?

I have found a good fare on the BA website, in Y from Dublin to NYC - with the outbound longhaul in WT+ (hoping to upgrade to J - there is availability)

I would love to either fly in from Dublin earlier that morning, or even (if possible) fly the DUB-LHR sector the night before (19th Feb). I also wanted to check if I could take the AA daytime flight instead of the BA daytime flight (not offered on the website because it doesn't allow the same day connection to Dublin) and take the LHR-DUB sector the morning after (26th).

I rang to see if they could construct this for me as it is not possible on the website. Before we even got to checking if changing the DUB sectors altered the price much, 3 separate agents could not build the website price, it was coming out at approx €700 instead of €430 online. I did suggest changing the POS/pricing in euros but it didn't make a difference to the outcome.

Am I forgetting something silly here? And is it fools errand anyway, to try and tinker with the position flight timings and get a similar price? Any help greatly appreciated!

Outbound - 20 February 2019
10:40
DUB
LHR
BA0845

13:45
LHR
JFK
BA0115

Inbound - 25 February 2019

JFK
LHR
BA0178

LHR
DUB
BA0824

Last edited by noFODplease; Jan 19, 2019 at 11:03 am
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Is there any way to force the BA website to give you different flight options on a mixed class fare?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Also double check they look availability for married segments as segment by segment may have different inventory. That said, transatlantic return with one way in W for €430 sounds very low.
noFODplease likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks orbitmc. Will try that today. Are they still married segments if there is an overnight stopover?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:16 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by noFODplease
Thanks orbitmc. Will try that today. Are they still married segments if there is an overnight stopover?
It's only a stopover usually when it's over 24h
noFODplease likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:26 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
married segment means you just search availability for , say, DuB-JFK and not individually for Dub-lhr and lhr-jfk because ba may show t availability on the long haul flight when married but not when booked as o/d on the exact same flight. Should return overnight connections too if under 24 hours.
noFODplease and Anonba like this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:05 am
Original Poster

So today's agent was more knowledgable than previous and said that the outbound fare was a DIF that wasn't available to her for some reason, even though it should be if it is online. So she has sent the fare to revenue to see if they can apply it with my altered positioning flights.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
For revenue bookings on BA I am not aware there should be “married sector” issues.

searching for the OP’s itinerary out on 20/2 in WTP and back on 25/2 on WT BA.com gives me a price of €432, this is on the exact flights listed in post 1.

EDIT: just to add if wanting to do the UuA on the outbound TATL I would suggest booking the cash fare online as noted above, then call in straight away to do the UuA. Don’t bother trying to price up a mixed cabin return including the UuA online.
noFODplease likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
For revenue bookings on BA I am not aware there should be “married sector” issues.

searching for the OP’s itinerary out on 20/2 in WTP and back on 25/2 on WT BA.com gives me a price of €432, this is on the exact flights listed in post 1.

EDIT: just to add if wanting to do the UuA on the outbound TATL I would suggest booking the cash fare online as noted above, then call in straight away to do the UuA. Don’t bother trying to price up a mixed cabin return including the UuA online.
Hi KARFA,

The issue is getting that price on the phone - they seem to be unable to replicate it. The reason I am not just booking online is so I can move the DUB-LHR to the evening before (19th). But before we can even price that on the phone, they can't get the original price
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:29 am

Hi KARFA,

The issue is getting that price on the phone - they seem to be unable to replicate it. The reason I am not just booking online is so I can move the DUB-LHR to the evening before (19th). But before we can even price that on the phone, they can't get the original price
It may be a BA.com only fare for the WTP in which case the phone agent can’t price it either with the same day or previous day DUB-LHR flight.
noFODplease likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:58 am

It may be a BA.com only fare for the WTP in which case the phone agent can’t price it either with the same day or previous day DUB-LHR flight.
This is possible sometimes you can get local deal tickets which are bt/it fares like the ones a travel agent would sell but offered on ba.com based on a specific pos.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:59 am

There definitely are! It’s been an issue on my over the phone bookings multiple times.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
There definitely are! It’s been an issue on my over the phone bookings multiple times.
Fair enough. I have never encountered it myself and don’t remember much mention of it on the board either.

What kind of wacky bookings are you doing?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:17 am

Fair enough. I have never encountered it myself and don’t remember much mention of it on the board either.

What kind of wacky bookings are you doing?
For some reason it often seems to affect my Asian bookings in wt+ (which I want in t to upgrade to cw eheh!). I often book them as multicity to combine work in HKG or sin with kul)
KARFA likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:14 am

Hi KARFA,

Would this work? You could book it online with wrong flights but right price and then call up within 24 hours of booking and ask them to change the flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.