Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

First Tier Point Run - Some Questions I Have

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Blue

Hi All,

Sorry in advance for the long post and all the questions I have. As you can tell from the title, I’ve booked my first ever tier point run, taking advantage of the recent INV to West Coast offer that was on. Sadly I did make a mistake as I was rushing to get my booking through before the midnight deadline, meaning I lost around 60-100 tier points on my return journey.

Before the questions here is my flight plan

26th Aug BA 1471: INV (19:05) – LHR (20:35)
Overnight at Heathrow
27th Aug AA 6148: LHR (10:45) – EWR (13:35)
AA 1216: EWR (16:35) – PHX (19:03)
AA 2106: PHX (20:40) – LAS (21:51)

8th Sept AA 406: LAS (00:55) – CLT (08:14)
AA 1782: CLT (11:40) – LGA (13:36)
AA 104: JFK (22:45) – LHR (10:50 +1)
9th Sept AA 6355: LHR (16:30) – INV (18:10)

As can be seen, I booked a return via CLT when it would have been better to either return via PHX again or just direct to New York. Also I’ve now got to transfer from LGA to JFK, but at least that gives me a chance for a late lunch / early dinner in New York.

I’ve looked through the forums and found some answers, but others I’m not sure about.

1. As my LHR-EWR flight is a BA operated, I’ll be changing terminals at Newark for my AA onward flight. I’ve read elsewhere that I would need to collect my bags and re-check them in. Is this correct, that my bags at LHR won’t be marked for LAS via PHX?

2. When I land at PHX I will have hit the tier points necessary for Silver. When starting my return to London I should be able to access the admiral lounge at LAS. Would they permit entry based upon the BA app and the card shown on there?

3. Is there a time-frame of how early I can check into the AA lounge at JFK before my flight?

4. After my return flight into Inverness, I was looking to do a quick turnaround and catch the 19:05 return. Although I’ve looked at the turn around times forum, and they state it’s possible at Inverness, how does this work with baggage?
Do I have to collect the luggage and re-check in?
Or do I inform BA before boarding that I will be turning around?
When I arrive in LHR T3 on the AA flight could I collect my luggage and leave at left luggage to pick up later?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer me with these questions.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:59 am

Location: Almost exactly equally distant from LCY, LGW and LHR.
Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
> 1. As my LHR-EWR flight is a BA operated, I’ll be changing terminals at Newark for my AA onward flight.

I've never actually done this interchange at EWR, but it is normal in the USA to need to collect and recheck baggage at the first point of ingress into the country, so that customs inspections and declerations can be done and then the bag can travel as domestic on the 2nd flight. Most airports have a dedicated recheck area right as you leave the customs checks, but I've no idea if EWR is one of them, or if you will be able to recheck a bag going to a different terminal and airline. Unless someone has better info, I'd assume you would have to take and check it in as normal at an AA desk. You do appear to have plenty of time to do that.

> 2. When I land at PHX I will have hit the tier points necessary for Silver. When starting my return to London I should be able to access the admiral lounge at LAS. Would they permit entry based upon the BA app and the card shown on there?

Asssuming you have the 600 TP's and the 4 BA qualifying flights, you have plenty of time for your card and app to be upgraded. It usually takes about 2 or 3 days from hitting the qualification criteria for the app to update. I'd expect you to be able to gain access via the app, or via the fact you should have Oneworld Sapphire printed on any paper boarding passes.

> 3. Is there a time-frame of how early I can check into the AA lounge at JFK before my flight?

Generally no limits.

> 4. After my return flight into Inverness, I was looking to do a quick turnaround and catch the 19:05 return.
> Although I’ve looked at the turn around times forum, and they state it’s possible at Inverness, how does this work with baggage?

With extreme difficulty. This is why it is often recommended to not do this with baggage.

> Do I have to collect the luggage and re-check in?

Yes.

> Or do I inform BA before boarding that I will be turning around?

They are unlikely to care, or in fact do anything to facilitate this (like short check the baggage to LHR).

> When I arrive in LHR T3 on the AA flight could I collect my luggage and leave at left luggage to pick up later?

If you have time to do this (which you do), I highly recommend it. This does seem a solution to the problem. If you go to INV with your luggage, I strongly suspect you will have problems. HOWEVER, BA may well refuse to short check the baggage, or want to charge you extra for the privilege. This may involve some sweettalking, and they are under no obilgation to do so.

If I was doing this trip with baggage, I'd be overnighting in INV.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
1) you will get marked all the way to your final destination however you have to go through customs with the bag at EWR as it will be first point in the US (so yes, you will collect the bag in Newark).
2) Your "new" status should be already seen on boarding passes on the way back. If not, let them delete it from the booking and add it once again.
3) I have checked into lounges worldwide hours before departure - not a problem anywhere, especially if you fly in premium cabin.
4) I guess informing BA will be useless. You will have to get your bags once you land and re-check it again. Checking bags to LHR and not to Inverness might be an option however sometimes agents dont do it as they think you will miss the last segment and that it technically against the rules (might work if you explain to the agent and show him/her also boarding pass or confirmation for Inverness to Heathrow flight) however I would not rely on this.

Enjoy the trip!
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
on 4 you have no chance of doing the turnaround at INV if you have baggage and it has been checked through to INV.

BA bag drop closes 45 minutes before departure (so 18.20 for a 19.05 departure)

There is no way on earth that the bags will be unloaded and for you to collect them and get to the BA desk in 10 minutes after a 18.10 scheduled arrival. Of course the flight could arrive early and you;d have a few minutes extra but not if the flight were late and you'd then miss your return to LHR

It would work IF AA check-in staff at JFK when you drop your bags off there were wiling to short check to LHR when you check-in for the return but that is not guaranteed. In that case - based on the times you have posted - you would have time to collect them on arrival and put them into left luggage at LHR for collection on your return from INV.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk and the BA forum LonBom, it's good to see you here and a good idea to check things out before travel. Ideally do this within 24 hours of booking since you do have that period to correct any mistakes.

I don't have an easy answer to INV. Even missing the last sector to INV will be tricky since the bags will be labelled to go to terminal 5 and so won't be recoverable in terminal 3. As things stand your bags will go to INV and you will have to collect them after the baggage drop deadline has passed, unless various minor miracles happen. I would suggest you go hand baggage only, HBO, which is a rite of passage for many of the dyed in the wool frequent flyers. If not, I think you're going to be staying the night in INV and changing the last sector.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for you answers, as that has sorted a few things for me.

With regards to the Inverness option, I thought that was unlikely, so think I will go with return the next day, and sleep the night in Inverness. I'll certainly learn for future Tier Point runs.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Please note there is no Admirals Club at Las Vegas.

Regards

TBS
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I would note that this is NOT a TP Run but a TP-efficient holiday in Vegas!

There is a difference, folks!
thejohn and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191
I would note that this is NOT a TP Run but a TP-efficient holiday in Vegas!

There is a difference, folks!
You are right indeed! But potentially will be looking for another run from within US again if anything valuable comes up, as don't think I could stomach that many days in Vegas (considering I've been before and visited most of the sights)
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From memory there isn’t a AA recheck desk at EWR so you’ll need to take the silly little train to their terminal and drop your bag there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.