Search

BA Seat Selection without BA# possible?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold

Have BA Gold status and bought the CX fare LIS-LHR-HKG. Will want to credit BA (LIS-LHR) leg to another FFP. Is there a way to have seat selection for no charge?

If I insert BA# in record and select seats can I have BA remove the FFP without creating issues?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:11 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Did this not book in to J selling class for the LIS-LHR flight? If so don't you have free seat selection anyway - albeit row one won't be available unless you include your BA number.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
Did this not book in to J selling class for the LIS-LHR flight? If so don't you have free seat selection anyway - albeit row one won't be available unless you include your BA number.
Yes-understand I do not have the free seat as a J. If I use my BA# then take the seat and afterward ask BA to remove FF# (as I will not be able to do it on the web/manage my bookings) will it create any issues?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by zebranz
Yes-understand I do not have the free seat as a J. If I use my BA# then take the seat and afterward ask BA to remove FF# (as I will not be able to do it on the web/manage my bookings) will it create any issues?
You certainly can't be sure that it will not. There have been multiple reports of people doing that sort of switch, sometimes with success, sometimes with problems.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:26 am

What selling class has your LIS-LHR flight booked in to? If it is J (as I suspect) you will have free seat selection anyway and do not have to put your number in to start with.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Can anyone remind me of assignment of first class seat en route LHR-MAD on 772? Planning to fly on redemption next week, J load is low (expert flyer), F is blocked. I am Emerald. Does the F seat opens at OLCI or at the airport? Would they assign me the F seat even the J load is low? Thanks everyone who knows how it works on this route.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by 747jetter
Can anyone remind me of assignment of first class seat en route LHR-MAD on 772? Planning to fly on redemption next week, J load is low (expert flyer), F is blocked. I am Emerald. Does the F seat opens at OLCI or at the airport? Would they assign me the F seat even the J load is low? Thanks everyone who knows how it works on this route.
If the LHR-MAD route works the same as the Gatwick services, then the F cabin won't open unless the extra seats are needed. Even if F is opened, allocation of seats in that cabin are often controlled by the airport rather than you being able to see them at all in MMB.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:50 am
Original Poster

What selling class has your LIS-LHR flight booked in to? If it is J (as I suspect) you will have free seat selection anyway and do not have to put your number in to start with.
Yes, J and when I went to BA site it wanted payment for seat. Before I assigned my BA# thought I would check here. Seat not that important on this flight. I'll wait until OLCI to worry about it.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:03 pm

Yes, J and when I went to BA site it wanted payment for seat. Before I assigned my BA# thought I would check here. Seat not that important on this flight. I'll wait until OLCI to worry about it.
that seems very odd. if your short haul flights are in J selling class you should get free seat selection regardless of status.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by orbitmic
You certainly can't be sure that it will not. There have been multiple reports of people doing that sort of switch, sometimes with success, sometimes with problems.
My own experience has been just that and I have yet to fathom whether it's random or if there is a way to make to work every time.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

that seems very odd. if your short haul flights are in J selling class you should get free seat selection regardless of status.
$hit happens- especially with BA IT. Maybe I will call and confirm if I get free seat selection- if so great. If not I'll not enter anything and minor inconvenience.

I asked original question as on previous trip(s) had BA# in system and could not find any way to remove so at check in asked them to change but credited to BA anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.