Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer HKG

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Transfer HKG

Very rarely do flight connections so need quick advice travelling BA31 to HKG in Feb onto QF128 to SYD need run down of what to do please thank you
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Follow the signs to flight connections, there are several but not all open 24/7. They will do a security check, then you’re back in airside departures. There ks no fast track flight connection, but queues aren’t intolerable. Depending on your status or class of travel you have a large number of OneWorld options. My favourite is Pier F but that may be some way from your departure gate. They have small imdividual curtained off sleep pods there, but as for an extra blanket as the aircon can be fierce, and use noise cancelling headset as you can hear the noise from the apron. Qantas’s lounge is pleasant. If you have time the Cabanas in Wing F are good for an indulgent soak.

If you have the right card, the Amex lounge is good for cocktails. I can’t recommend the inner sanctum section for Centurion cardholders only, which is a particularly soulless area, albeit very exclusive: it offers the same as the main area but with a waiting service and is far less busy.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
All of the above is correct.

As BA Gold the two OWE lounges you have access to are the Cathay Pier F lounge and the Wing F lounge. The Pier is generally accepted as the better one, with a sit down restaurant, good shower cubicles, foot massages are available if you can get one, and there is a tended bar. However, it is at one end of the terminal and is unlikely to be close to the gates Qantas uses, which are closer to the main terminal building. Still if you have time, it is no more than a leisurely 15-20 minute walk back to the main terminal area. The Wing F lounge is right at the main terminal area, it has a sit down restaurant with a slimmer choice than the Pier, but a buffet. It's main feature is the cabanas, which are private bathrooms with a bath and a walk in shower, that you can book when you get there for a maximum of 90 minutes. There is still a tended bar and it is a pleasant place, but tends to get a bit more crowded than the Pier because it is literally right beside the entrance from immigration/security for people coming from Hong Kong. It is close to the gates Qantas uses. The Qantas lounge is not a First lounge, but is pretty good, excellent showers, tended bar, and although most of the food is a buffet, there is also a dish of the day and dim sum carts circulate at peak times with hot snacks. The only other good point is that the Qantas lounge will have announcements for the Qantas flights if you want to be sure of when to board, the Cathay lounges do not announce flights except for Cathay ones if there is a serious delay. Of course, you are welcome to try all three lounges (and the Cathay business lounges if you are keen)
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've transferred a few times at Hong Kong and each time it has been painless with little to no queues at all to contend with getting through security (admittedly these have all been at about 9pm so I'm not sure what it will be like earlier in the afternoon). Both Cathay First lounges (The Wing and The Pier) are excellent, the Pier as mentioned is a bit of a trek to get to from where the BA flight arrives into and isn't close to where Qantas will depart from either.
If time is short then go to the Wing as you'll get about 30 minutes extra lounge time (depending on your walking speed). If like me though you like to stretch your legs between flights then the head to the Pier.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Are you on the same ticket or separate tickets? If separate, BA will not check your bag through to SYD as it is on another carrier!! You will have to exit as though arriving in HKG get your bag and recheck it in. It is a real pain but doable (have done it) BA31 arrives at 1420 and QF128 leaves at 1850 so plenty of time.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:47 am
p78
Suspended

Programs: BA Silver, Aegan Gold, Hilton Diamond
I did pass control, recheck my baggage and be back air side in 20 minutes then rest of family use just connections...and I had 3h between flights
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Thanks everyone yes ticketed straight through to SYD. Yes, we may well use the Wing F and hopefully get a cabana, then we can make our way over to the QF lounge where as you all say there are notifications of gate opening etc. At least as mentioned and the one occasion we transitted through HKG the security checks do not take too long, and we have just over 4 hours to play with.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Are there any decent maps of HKG showing the locations of the lounges? I've had a (very quick) google but found conflicting information across multiple sites. The maps on the airport website are awful and not user friendly.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by fluffymitten
Are there any decent maps of HKG showing the locations of the lounges? I've had a (very quick) google but found conflicting information across multiple sites. The maps on the airport website are awful and not user friendly.
Hi,

Here is a reasonable page

https://www.travelcodex.com/ultimate...ges-hong-kong/

( a lot of maps have not been updated to reflect the closure of the Cabin and opening of the Deck)

and details on the Cathay Pacific website

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...t-lounges.html

Regards

TBS
fluffymitten likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:37 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by fluffymitten
The airport website design makes perfect sense if you know the airport, at which point you wouldn't need a map. It is indeed a 3 dimension blur. But this website has a more-or-less accurate layout halfway down

HKG: Hong Kong Airport Guide - Terminal map, airport guide, lounges, bars, restaurants & reviews with images

with the Wing at Pier 2 (two levels), Qantas at gate 15 and the Pier at gate 63. In the airport they are clearly signed.
fluffymitten likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
I've had excellent experience connecting in HKG. Indeed I would class it pretty much near the top for connections in large airports. It's a very efficient operation. I have memories of doing a LAX-HKG-KUL all on CX. The LAX-HKG ran late, but we were boarding the HKG-KUL flight 20 minutes after landing in HKG. Beat that. Amazingly even our checked-in bags made the connection.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: Complete Pleb, former BAEC Gold, former MH Silver
Probably worth mentioning that the main entrance to the Qantas lounge isn't always obvious when transiting (it's a bit tucked away and seems to be more aimed at people departing HK).

You can wander round gate 15/16 for a while, looking up at it, trying to figure out how to get in (there is a backdoor up one of the escalators but that's more for people leaving).

Its back up the central stairs, to the left as you are looking at everyone arriving out into the airport.

From the Wing F its on the same level - you just have to navigate across the busy food court area.

Ps. You'll loose any duty free you buy in Heathrow unless its in a proper tamper-proof bag!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
The advice given by the many above is very good. However, as always and often forgotten, there are loads of staff dotted around everywhere and ready to help.

HKG similar with the likes of SIN are very well signed, and in English. Worst case scenario is you end up on the wrong end of the airport, but that's resolved by a simple walk/train ride.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jon Baker
Probably worth mentioning that the main entrance to the Qantas lounge isn't always obvious when transiting (it's a bit tucked away and seems to be more aimed at people departing HK).

You can wander round gate 15/16 for a while, looking up at it, trying to figure out how to get in (there is a backdoor up one of the escalators but that's more for people leaving).

Its back up the central stairs, to the left as you are looking at everyone arriving out into the airport.

From the Wing F its on the same level - you just have to navigate across the busy food court area.

Ps. You'll loose any duty free you buy in Heathrow unless its in a proper tamper-proof bag!
Many thank about QF lounge will watch out for this bit of confusion
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by james_yuen
The advice given by the many above is very good. However, as always and often forgotten, there are loads of staff dotted around everywhere and ready to help.

HKG similar with the likes of SIN are very well signed, and in English. Worst case scenario is you end up on the wrong end of the airport, but that's resolved by a simple walk/train ride.
Thanks for info, as you mentioned there are always staff to ask if we get lost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.